PDA

View Full Version : After listening to ALL the press conferences

ryjam282
05-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Butler, will definitely be our RT in the future. I believe this paves the way for us to try and move Peters to LT this year. This may be why Marv hasn't addressed the LT area as of yet, they are going to give Peters a shot before making a decision IMO. We shall see, he definitely has the feet and strength for it. They talk about Butler being everything you look for in a RT just needs to add a little strength, which all guys coming out of college need to do. He faced the majority of teams #1 pass rushers cause they shifted away from D'Brick's side and held him own all year.

Ellison, scored a 36 on the Wonderlic, that is pretty impressive for a LB and has the ability to play all 3 LB positions and they will try him out in the spring at all 3 spots to see which one suits him more. Very fast player with great football knowledge.

KO, will definitely be a FS for us but has played both safety positions. BIG HITTER, very good in run support, and has plenty of speed to play sideline to sideline in the cover 2 scheme. With him, if he can grasp this system quickly, I could really see us moving Clements somehow and moving Vincent back to CB and letting KO and Donte play the safety spots for the next 5-6 years. We shall see with him but I really loved this pick as I watched him play a few games this season and always seemed to stand out. Really seems like a young Brian Dawkins.

Whitner, 4.38 speed was the first thing I noticed with him and they mention, more then once, that he has great blitzing skills as well as coverage skills. Can play either safety position but with his superb coverage skills will most likely stay at SS. He will be plugged in there in the spring from day 1, also a very big hitter and a solid tackler as well. The more I hear about this kid the more I love the pick. Really seems to me like a Polamalu like with his rush skills and was compared to Donovan Darius with his love for the game and his work ethic. I am looking forward to see what we can get out this kid.

Williams, a touch short but one of the strongest people in the draft. Set the LSU record for squat at over 700 pounds and can play both DT positions. Very happy to get him where we did. Should step right into the rotation behind Bannen in the nose and behind McCargo at the DT.

Youboty, very good tackler, good coverage skills and should mesh well with Whitner being that they played together in college and now in the pros. I was so happy we got him where we did as I thought he would be long gone in the 3rd round so I really think he and KO could end up as the steals of the draft.

Overall, I loved our draft and really think we got a lot better at some KEY positions. Only time will tell if these kids pan out but from what I can gather on all of them it should be a good few years for us watching these kids grow. Nice job Marv, and LETS GO BILLS!!!!

OpIv37
05-05-2006, 10:05 AM
I don't think we should move Peters- every time this guy gets good at a position, we move him.

Marvelous
05-05-2006, 10:06 AM
OSU corners sure are great tacklers. IMO Nate is a better tackler then #26 was. Winfield was a solid wrapup guy but nate punishes.. I'm excited about our whole draft. A excitement i haven't had in years.

Tatonka
05-05-2006, 10:08 AM
great write up. i agree 100%

justasportsfan
05-05-2006, 10:10 AM
I don't think we should move Peters- every time this guy gets good at a position, we move him.

But if he excells at the LT position, why not put the best player in there to protect our Qb's blindside especially if Butler becomes a good RT?

Would be great especially if we can sign him long term as a RT and then move him to LT (again if he fits there) Cheap LT.

ryjam282
05-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks guys. An OpI, why not move him? If someone is better suited for a position of need why not move him there. I think he learned RT last year to get his knowledge and skills down and when they feel he has mastered it, move him to the elite side of the position to see if he can handle that as well as he has handled the right side. Think of it in terms of a promotion, he learns the ropes on the right side and then gets promoted to the big time (the left side) where he can no doubt earn almost triple the money that he could on the right. Worst case scenario, he stinks at LT and we have ourselves a very solid RT for the next 5-6 years and we address LT next. I think the kid can do it, he is definitely athletic enough to handle it.

Captain gameboy
05-05-2006, 10:32 AM
I think Brad Butler has a long way to go before he can pass protect at the NFL level.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-05-2006, 11:06 AM
I think Brad Butler has a long way to go before he can pass protect at the NFL level.

Next season. They can keep Gandy on the left and prepare Peters to make the switch this season while they teach Butler and get him stronger. Then, make the switch next off-season if Butler develops. If not, then, look to fill the spot in free agency or the draft.

What struck me the most listening to the press conferences was that--excuse me for sounding like an old man here--every one of these young men sounded like he was a really good kid, good people. I can see why, beyond their football talents, these were guys that Marv would want to draft.

mysticsoto
05-05-2006, 02:47 PM
I would personally prefer we move Jason Peters this year rather than next if this is what we are going to do (which I do think is for the best). What is the point of waiting until next year? Doing that may cause Peters to get used to the right side and then have difficulty in the transition to the left side. As it stands now, Peters was quoted as saying that he wouldn't mind switching to the left b'cse he hasn't been playing at RT to have become ingrained there. If we are due to take our lumps this year with all the new adjustments being made and new schemes implemented, then I rather Peters switch over this year and be entrenched at the position already next year with good experience behind him...

Mr. Miyagi
05-05-2006, 03:04 PM
OSU corners sure are great tacklers. IMO Nate is a better tackler then #26 was. Winfield was a solid wrapup guy but nate punishes.. I'm excited about our whole draft. A excitement i haven't had in years.
Winfield punishes too.

G. Host
05-05-2006, 03:10 PM
He hasn't been good at run blocking yet so he hasn't been good at playing RT.

SpillerThrills
05-05-2006, 03:32 PM
nothing on McCargo???? would be interesting to hear your thought on his interview....

ryjam282
05-05-2006, 04:04 PM
I really lilke the pick of McCargo. He seems like the perfect fit for our type of D. Has the patented Marv kind of high motor and they said at times he looked like the best d-lineman on the team, which says a lot considering they have the #1 pick overall and another first rounder as well. Seems like he has to just mature a bit over this season and realize what he is up against is a little different. Seems like a down to earth kid who really wants to contribute. I think he and Williams will be a nice rotation and with Triplett next to them they will get a nice veteran mentor to show them a thing or two.

Mr. Miyagi
05-05-2006, 04:04 PM
nothing on McCargo???? would be interesting to hear your thought on his interview....

Nighthawk
05-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Butler, will definitely be our RT in the future. I believe this paves the way for us to try and move Peters to LT this year. This may be why Marv hasn't addressed the LT area as of yet, they are going to give Peters a shot before making a decision IMO. We shall see, he definitely has the feet and strength for it. They talk about Butler being everything you look for in a RT just needs to add a little strength, which all guys coming out of college need to do. He faced the majority of teams #1 pass rushers cause they shifted away from D'Brick's side and held him own all year.

Ellison, scored a 36 on the Wonderlic, that is pretty impressive for a LB and has the ability to play all 3 LB positions and they will try him out in the spring at all 3 spots to see which one suits him more. Very fast player with great football knowledge.

KO, will definitely be a FS for us but has played both safety positions. BIG HITTER, very good in run support, and has plenty of speed to play sideline to sideline in the cover 2 scheme. With him, if he can grasp this system quickly, I could really see us moving Clements somehow and moving Vincent back to CB and letting KO and Donte play the safety spots for the next 5-6 years. We shall see with him but I really loved this pick as I watched him play a few games this season and always seemed to stand out. Really seems like a young Brian Dawkins.

Whitner, 4.38 speed was the first thing I noticed with him and they mention, more then once, that he has great blitzing skills as well as coverage skills. Can play either safety position but with his superb coverage skills will most likely stay at SS. He will be plugged in there in the spring from day 1, also a very big hitter and a solid tackler as well. The more I hear about this kid the more I love the pick. Really seems to me like a Polamalu like with his rush skills and was compared to Donovan Darius with his love for the game and his work ethic. I am looking forward to see what we can get out this kid.

Williams, a touch short but one of the strongest people in the draft. Set the LSU record for squat at over 700 pounds and can play both DT positions. Very happy to get him where we did. Should step right into the rotation behind Bannen in the nose and behind McCargo at the DT.

Youboty, very good tackler, good coverage skills and should mesh well with Whitner being that they played together in college and now in the pros. I was so happy we got him where we did as I thought he would be long gone in the 3rd round so I really think he and KO could end up as the steals of the draft.

Overall, I loved our draft and really think we got a lot better at some KEY positions. Only time will tell if these kids pan out but from what I can gather on all of them it should be a good few years for us watching these kids grow. Nice job Marv, and LETS GO BILLS!!!!

Excellent post! Couldn't agree more. Time will tell...

John Doe
05-05-2006, 07:30 PM
If we are due to take our lumps this year with all the new adjustments being made and new schemes implemented, then I rather Peters switch over this year and be entrenched at the position already next year with good experience behind him...

I don't think that the Bills staff is convinced that this upcoming season is going to be a waste.

We are probably going to start only one rookie on defense and none on offense.

YardRat
05-05-2006, 07:49 PM
They like Gandy at LT...that's why the position wasn't really addressed in FA or the draft.

patmoran2006
05-05-2006, 10:11 PM
1- I love our draft, but I am not counting on Butler even being the top backup tackle let alone a potential starter.. McFarland to me is in better position to challenge for a starting spot. Butler is depth at this point, that's it.

2- Peters aint going anywhere but the right side. For one, they dont want to pay him LT money.. For another, they're not going to mess with this line, at least not in 2006.

mysticsoto
05-05-2006, 11:39 PM
I don't think that the Bills staff is convinced that this upcoming season is going to be a waste.

We are probably going to start only one rookie on defense and none on offense.

I'd say we'll likely have two rookies starting in the defense. I don't know if Anderson is good enough to play next to Tripplett, and Whitner will likely start at Safety, as he has good experience and is exceptionally tailored for the cover 2 - more than any of the veterans on the team.

Tatonka
05-06-2006, 02:14 AM

based on what?

Night Train
05-06-2006, 06:15 AM
I noticed in my Ourlads guide that Pennington, who was taken in Round 7, was rated about 10 spots ahead of Butler. Had a far better write up than Butler and can play LT. Said Pennington was a 4th-5th round talent. Rated Butler as a 6th-7th rounder and strickly a RT.

Pennington tested out as the 6th best athlete at the OT position at the combine and has much better feet and natural strength. Also said he had very long arms and good blocking technique. He could be our Day 2 steal if given a year to work with the Coaches.

Captain gameboy
05-06-2006, 07:37 AM
based on what?

Quickness.

I think he's a bit of a plodder right now. I think he'll have significant trouble with speed rushers, and in covering any distance to pick up stunts.

Though I have never heard it mentioned by anyone else, I kind of thought there might be interest in moving him to guard in the NFL, giving him less space to be responsible for. He can certainly get big enough for it.
Evidently, that isn't the case.

ryjam282
05-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Based on the scouts interview about Butler, on the Bills website he will be nothing but a RT. They say he is the prototypical RT and is built for the position. He needs to add a little beef to his frame but they go on and on about his pass blocking skills and that he needs to get better at run blocking which is usually the case with the very tall lineman. They say he has good feet and good hands. Just needs to get the run blocking technique down better.

Billsouth
05-06-2006, 06:32 PM
first, bannen is no longer on the team. our current defensive tackles are anderson, triplett, mccargo, williams.

seceondly, the linemen i seeing being moved to left tackle (if anyone) is tutan reyes. he has played left guard and is big enough to play tackle.