PDA

View Full Version : Ahmad Brooks

oldno711
05-05-2006, 10:10 AM
"He's got a long way to go, but I tell you, he has all the tools to be a great one."

Think Marv & Co. will take a chance on him? He would be an absolute steal for a 3rd round pick....he was projected as a top 10 pick in the 2005 draft. He definitely has the potential.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137835811588&path=!sports&s=1045855934844

justasportsfan
05-05-2006, 10:17 AM
"In the wake of Brooks' problems at U.Va., NFL teams have questions about his work ethic, his passion for football, his ability to keep his weight down and his character. Those around Brooks know it will take time for him to rehabilitate his reputation."

this could raise question marks especially with Marv.

Captain gameboy
05-05-2006, 10:25 AM
"In the wake of Brooks' problems at U.Va., NFL teams have questions about his work ethic, his passion for football, his ability to keep his weight down and his character. Those around Brooks know it will take time for him to rehabilitate his reputation."

this could raise question marks especially with Marv.

We've got too many high character guys. We need Brooks to lower the average a bit, unless we want to field a choir.

The guy is Cornelius Bennett.
At home games, I would watch him on every play.
He can go through ya, around ya, or run ya down.

They even had him returning kicks. That's how fast he is.

A rare blend of speed, power and linebacker instincts.

But...he has been largely out of the game for well over a year, and no secret to NFL GM's.

justasportsfan
05-05-2006, 10:31 AM
We've got too many high character guys. We need Brooks to lower the average a bit, unless we want to field a choir.

But...he has been largely out of the game for well over a year, and no secret to NFL GM's.I agree, smart people don't always turn into good football players. Bruce Smith wasn't exactly a high character guy and Marino didn't fare well in his wonderlic but they were great football players.

I was merely saying that Marv has his way of assesing players. If he's like Bennet like you say he is, Marv should take him knowing how he was against that hiring and time and again admitted he was wrong about Bennett.

Captain gameboy
05-05-2006, 10:35 AM
The thing is, Marv won't be the only one looking, if he's interested at all.
I promise one thing though.
If the Bills pick him up, he will be the talk of the training camp.

DraftBoy
05-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Supplemental Draft is when?

justasportsfan
05-05-2006, 10:41 AM
The thing is, Marv won't be the only one looking, if he's interested at all.
I promise one thing though.
If the Bills pick him up, he will be the talk of the training camp.
Didn't it imply that he also has durability issues?

LifetimeBillsFan
05-05-2006, 10:59 AM

But...he has been largely out of the game for well over a year, and no secret to NFL GM's.

After you mentioned him in an earlier thread, gameboy, I checked to see if he was the kid from UVa that I remembered and he is: he is everything that you have said that he is! When he is out on the field, he stands out in comparison to everyone else, plain and simple.

I knew he had been out for awhile, but didn't know why. If he comes with Al Groh's recommendation, I think Marv would look past his problems. If not, Marv won't (Groh's recommendations carry a lot of weight with NFL personnel people and, if you listened to the press conferences, played a role in Butler's selection).

I'm sure that a lot of NFL people know who Brooks is and will be interested. But, I doubt that they will be willing to give up more than a third round pick for someone in the supplemental draft--which is why I suggested that the Bills take him in that round or maybe the fourth in a previous thread. With the young guys that the Bills have brought in with the draft, Brooks would complete an almost total overhaul of the Bills' defense and would provide insurance against losing Fletcher or Spikes to injury this season, allowing them to dump Posey at the end of this year or sooner as well.

I like the idea of getting him--a LOT.

Captain gameboy
05-05-2006, 11:06 AM
He does have durability issues.

It was my understanding that his knee thing was not football related, and was not a concern. An off season surgery to repair something that existed for quite a while.

His back issue is what caused him to miss a good deal of the last part of the season, at least that's what was in the local press.

It gets really hard to judge what is really up with these guys.
Al Groh has complete control of everything that gets in the press.

My view is that Brooks was ready for the NFL last year, and got bored with the college regimen. I also think that if he went to U Miami, none of this would have come up. But that's just opinion.

Al Groh has tremendous credibility in NFL front offices, especially regarding linebackers. That is his specialty.
He can't recruit a wide receiver or DB to save his rear, but linebackers he gets.

Brooks will not get his "maintenance free" endorsement.
Groh was the one who got rid of him.

But...When Brooks was on the field, he just looked like he played like a man among kids.
He can cover running backs in the passing game.
He can bull rush, he can speed rush, he can get through pulling guards and break up sweeps all by himself.

He is special.

Captain gameboy
05-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Supplemental Draft is when?

It varies year to year for some strange reason. Late June/early July.
This year I think July, but I'm not sure it has been formalized.

It's a weird thing, like a silent auction. You "bid" on a player by offering up a choice for him in a certain round. They go in the same order as the regular draft. If your bid is the highest, he's yours.

justasportsfan
05-05-2006, 11:23 AM
If he's as good as advertised, might as well take Fletchers replacement now and have him learn as soon as possible.

eyedog
05-05-2006, 01:29 PM
I would give up next years 2nd rounder for him now. He's worth it and if we don't someone else is going too.