PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Posey

ghz in pittsburgh
05-05-2006, 03:11 PM
I am a bit concerned about our LBs because in cover 2, they need to be fast and cover people. We do know the Spikes was really good at that but it's long shot to count on that. If I were Jauron, I might have to plan on him not physically available this season.

The new scheme is great news for Crowell, who with a smaller size and good speed, is a more natural fit. He does need to improve his coverage skills but I see him as someone Jauron and company is counting on heavily.

Flectcher, the heart and soul of Biills defense, will face more of an uphill battle. The guy is smart and hard working, always put himself at a position to succeed but if we put him in the traditional "Tempa cover 2" spot - controlling the middle deep zone, he'll struggle covering slot WR/TEs/RBs. I believe the staff will alter the responsiblity a bit to allow him do run support more. If he can develop a rapport with the expected safety starter Whitner, they may workout the deep middle coverage issues. But I expect that - if ever develops - to happen as the season goes along. Expect some lumps to be taken by the Bills in this area.

That brings us to Posey. Poesy is the biggest linebacker we have and had been asked to stop the strong side attack. He's not very fast and poor in coverage. When he was at Texans, he's very good outside rusher in 3-4. But hasn't shown much here for the Bills, in part due to his resonsibility change. We relied more on blitz packages than individual effort.

I don't believe that Posey belongs as a LB in this scheme. He should be moved to DE as a pass rusher. If he can cut it, he'll stay, otherwise, I can see him being let going, especially now that he's in his last year of his contract.

So who will be our 3rd starting LB? Remember Spike's injury is usually a two year injury.

L.A. Playa
05-05-2006, 03:13 PM
I wouldnt be suprised if Posey is moved to DE

Drive 4 Five
05-05-2006, 03:20 PM
I agree that we will need to address this area soon. We are so used to strong play from our linebackers. I too see Posey as the odd man out. As for Spikes, he should be starting soon. 2 year injury? Not anymore. I know a guy who balls for a semi-pro league and he went back after four months.

As a matter of fact, I am sitting here in a cast, 1 1/2 months removed from surgery with the same injury. I don't even want to hear no **** about two years. Two months will have been long enough.

Drive 4 Five
05-05-2006, 03:24 PM
I wouldnt be suprised if Posey is moved to DE

What like a situational down player? Maybe. Although we may be paying him too much to be a role player. Maybe he gets cut on June 1st and we look to free agency for another player? I also feel that this is the reason we drafted Keith Ellison. Marv is reportedly very high on this guy.

John Doe
05-05-2006, 05:39 PM
We addressed pass coverage in the draft with Ellison.

Fletcher has plenty of experience in the "cover 2" from his days in St. Louis.

ParanoidAndroid
05-05-2006, 08:58 PM
I disagree about Posey. For the last few years, Buffalo has done a very good job of shutting down opposing TE's. Much of the credit for that goes to Posey as he often was asked to drop back rather than rush the passer. Although he is not exceptionally fast, he's good in coverage. I expect him to continue slowing down and he should be replaced, but it won't be because he has poor coverage skills.
Posey will likely be let go next year and he should be replaced. We should also be looking to replace Fletcher soon because not many people can take 125 tackles a year for as many years as we are asking of London. Crowell seems to be more built for MLB, but his mind might not be there...that can be overcome. I would like to see an early pick at OLB next year.