PDA

View Full Version : Nate: Good news, bad news.

patmoran2006
05-05-2006, 10:01 PM
This is what I'm hearing.

The Good News: Nate Clements signed his one-year franchise tender and will be a Buffalo Bills for 2006, which obviously is better for the football team. It also prevents what was potentially an ugly hold-out and disrupted much needed team chemistry.

The Bad News: This is VERY likely Nate's last season as a Buffalo Bill. From what I'm hearing, there's an agreement that the Bills will not franchise Clements again for 2007. If this is true, unless they sign him a long-term deal before the end of the season, once he hits the free agent market he's gone with a capital G.

I can't nor would I confirm this stipulation to be true, however I wouldnt be surprised at all if this becomes public in the next 24-48 hours, if it's not already.

Nublar7
05-05-2006, 10:06 PM
It is true. John Clayton is reporting that to get Clements to sign his tender, they waived the right to franchise or transition him next offseason. More likely then not, this is Clement's last year in Buffalo. As we all saw this offseason, Marv and Wilson are pretty cheap when it comes to signing coaches and players. No way in hell do they give him a long term big money deal.

Ickybaluky
05-05-2006, 10:10 PM
This is what Clayton is reporting (http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=clayton_john&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fname%3dclayton_john#20060502):

"Bills re-sign Clemens: Bills cornerback Nate Clements was the big winner Friday when he signed his one-year, $7.226 milllion franchise tender. To entice Clements to sign the franchise tender and not hold out, the Bills waved the right to franchise or transition him next year. That's a huge benefit for Clements. Clements is clearly the top free-agent cornerback in in 2007. The next closest cornerback is the Patriots' Asante Samuel. The situation is not that much different from the Shaun Alexander situation of a year ago. Alexander didn't miss any time in camp and had his best season. The Bills will have the chance to sign him but it will be costly."

patmoran2006
05-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Well, looks like its true then.

Bye Nate after this season, there is NO way they are going pay him the money he wants when they'll have plenty of things to take care of next offseason. (LT, DE, Possibly a new MLB and maybe even a QB)..

If we start out with a string of losses, I'd expect to see Youboty get A LOT of playing time.

Bert102176
05-05-2006, 10:13 PM
I was hoping he woulda been traded befor the draft started

Ickybaluky
05-05-2006, 10:16 PM
There was no way they were going to franchise him a 2nd season in a row anyway, given he would receive a 120% bump in pay.

That said, I don't see how this has any bearing on whether they re-sign him long-term. They can still negotiate with him on an extension. I think there is a good chance they re-sign him, it just comes down to what kind of money he is looking for.

If he does go to FA next year he will get a big contract, but perhaps not as big as he thinks. CB went through a phase of getting some big contracts, but now teams seem to be more wary of paying the huge money for a CB, instead spending that money on the bigger bodies. The DT position has take a huge raise in pay recently, before only DE got the bid dough.

patmoran2006
05-05-2006, 10:21 PM
There was no way they were going to franchise him a 2nd season in a row anyway, given he would receive a 120% bump in pay.

That said, I don't see how this has any bearing on whether they re-sign him long-term. They can still negotiate with him on an extension. I think there is a good chance they re-sign him, it just comes down to what kind of money he is looking for.

If he does go to FA next year he will get a big contract, but perhaps not as big as he thinks. CB went through a phase of getting some big contracts, but now teams seem to be more wary of paying the huge money for a CB, instead spending that money on the bigger bodies. The DT position has take a huge raise in pay recently, before only DE got the bid dough.
I think we all know what kind of money he is looking for.

and I agree with you about the last paragraph.. I know this, you know this, most know this.. I dont think Nate knows this..

We all keep talking about 2007 already. Maybe he's senile, But Im thinking Marv TRULY thinks this team will win in 2006.. NOt trading Clements knowing it will probably be his last year is evidence, IMO.

Gfunk
05-05-2006, 10:47 PM
dude is a beast, ya'll need to work on that long-term contract stat

OpIv37
05-05-2006, 10:52 PM
He's overpaid and overhyped. Don't get me wrong- he's an above average corner, but he's not God's gift to defensive backs like he thinks he is. We've got Youboty and Eric King- hopefully one of them can learn to take his place.

In a way I think this is a stupid move- we need him this year, but we should have kept the right to franchise him next year. Now we're going to lose him to FA with nothing in return.

mysticsoto
05-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Well...one good thing that will come out of this, is that Nate will be playing his @$$ off to try and get a big contract to pay him big bucks. We will see a very motivated Nate this year!!! It would be nice if he took Youboty under his wing, knowing that he is leaving and that there is therefore no threat to him losing his job to anyone.

Philagape
05-06-2006, 12:13 AM
It's the best situation for all sides. Nate's playing for a contract this year while we develop his replacement, and we'll free up money in 2007 for other needs.

Tatonka
05-06-2006, 02:11 AM
um.. nate was "playing for the money" last season w/ his first FA period coming up and he sucked.

The_Philster
05-06-2006, 06:19 AM
Not surprising in the least..I knew that losing him in 2007 was a very good possibility when we drafted Youboty out of Ohio State

BuffaloBillsStampede
05-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Yeah good point he was awful last year when it was time for a big money deal. Just ask Chris Chambers.

Ickybaluky
05-06-2006, 07:58 AM
I think we all know what kind of money he is looking for.

OK, but the market will set what he gets. The fact is, the Bills will set a value on him and if they can come to an agreement they will sign him. Neither you nor I know how that negotiation will go.

Even if they can't come to an agreement, Clements might hit free agency and find out the Bills offer is the best he is going to receive. Having him go into the market isn't the worst thing, it will set his value.

If, in the end, that value is higher to some other team than the Bills are willing to offer then he will sign elsewhere. However, that is part of the process and the Bills will move on. It isn't the end of the world. Sure, the guy is a good player, but you don't get better by overpaying to keep a guy.

HHURRICANE
05-06-2006, 08:39 AM
It's the best situation for all sides. Nate's playing for a contract this year while we develop his replacement, and we'll free up money in 2007 for other needs.

And get nothing for him next year. I think the Bills are stupid!! Shaun Alexander was the key to a playoff team/SB team. Having nate play this comig year so we can end up 5-11 and than release him for nothing?!! Great move!!

I wonder were the wisdom is around here!!

feelthepain
05-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Anyone wanna bet he makes the probowl this year???

Philagape
05-06-2006, 09:16 AM
And get nothing for him next year. I think the Bills are stupid!! Shaun Alexander was the key to a playoff team/SB team. Having nate play this comig year so we can end up 5-11 and than release him for nothing?!! Great move!!

I wonder were the wisdom is around here!!

We get money to address other needs.

Losing expensive players is the way it goes in the NFL. The WISE teams are the ones who know when not to overpay. Let the Vikings have him for a jillion gazillion dollars.

And what has Nate keyed us to like Alexander keyed the Seahawks?

Philagape
05-06-2006, 09:18 AM
And I think he will be more motivated this year than last. The franchise tag is no longer available, and if Youboty catches on fast, Nate will have to watch his back.

DMBcrew36
05-06-2006, 09:45 AM
YOUBOOTTYYY

G. Host
05-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Once Bills are not in playoff race they ought to sit his butt and explain to him since he is not re-signing, they need to use the time to give their CBs experience even if it cuts down amount of film time for him.

Michael82
05-06-2006, 11:11 AM
I hate the fact that they told him they won't tag him next year. That means that we are going to lose him for absolutley nothing next year and that really pisses me off. Why can't they tell him that if he doesn't get a new contract, they'll do a sign and trade? :mad:

TigerJ
05-06-2006, 11:13 AM
I didn't know that the right to franchize a player was "waivable" but given that is is, it's not surprising. I'm sure Buffalo would love to sign him to a long term deal, but Nate smells money, and the Bills clearly are not going to offer what he thinks he's worth.

G. Host
05-06-2006, 11:42 AM
It definitely is waivable or it was as of last contract. Nate gets to be poster boy for Vincent and rest of players union. Yipee! I agree with Mikey but he was probably threatening to do a Galloway and hold out until last possible moment. As of last year's rulings teams have a trouble even suspending problem players so if Nate decides to "go for the gold" and go for interceptions like he did in Jaguar game rather than knocking down ball Bills will have trouble punishing him.

MVP
05-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Exactly why we drafted Youboty.

Ickybaluky
05-06-2006, 12:14 PM
They just insert a clause in the contract forbidding the team from using a tag once the contract is up. That is what happened a year ago with Shawn Alexander.

Some teams will also negotiate a right-of-first refusal into contracts, even when a guy becomes unrestricted. Minnesota did that a year ago with Koren Robinson, who they took a chance on after he suffered off-field problems that led to his release. Despite Robinson being an unrestricted FA, the Vikings had the right to match any offer he received (he ended up re-signing with them anyway).

justasportsfan
05-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Once Bills are not in playoff race they ought to sit his butt and explain to him since he is not re-signing, they need to use the time to give their CBs experience even if it cuts down amount of film time for him.
that is what's likely going to happen.

The good thing is that , the other players will be competing to take his place then entire season.