PDA

View Full Version : Clements Decision to Stay Will Pay Dividends

The_Philster
05-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Nate Clements recently signed the Bills’ offer sheet with an understanding that the team would not tag him again next season essentially guaranteeing his unrestricted free agency status next season. So how does this impact the Bills? Clements?

As to Clements, this was a great decision for him. He’s seeking premier money. Whether he’s worth that or not is debatable, but in this analyst’s opinion his lack of being a premier cover cornerback prevents such a status for teams that would be wise. more...warning...it's Wys-sized (http://afceastreport.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=62)

justasportsfan
05-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Wys will never be happy until we bring back Shawn Bryson and Rob Johnson.

Night Train
05-06-2006, 07:17 PM
He whines more than my 5 year old.

Maybe his Mom needs to put in a Wiggles tape for him to watch.

acehole
05-06-2006, 07:35 PM
What alot of fluff built on speculation from that guy. Clements will start. Yobooti will play alot...possibly at nickle. The one place I wish we would sacrifice is FS. This way there are not playing simson and yabooty as first year starters next year.

Vincent will not bring us to the promise land so let him easy away.

Let the 2 new safties get valued time now....and yabooty next year starter.

I think Mcee is good and should hold his own there...but a body to relpace clement next year is in the cards. They have stated they need 3 good CB's.

If the young guys (DT's)can create pass rush (Which I think they can) with the high motor DE we have should it will make that whole secondary better.
Can't wait for pre season.

ICE74129
05-06-2006, 07:51 PM
I would like to know how he knows that there is an agreement that the Bills won't tag him next year. Unless it is in writing, word of mouth means nothing unless recorded.

G. Host
05-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Wys got it because it was in the Buffalo News:
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060506/1064911.asp

Not like he has an inside sources.
Notice how if Bills are 0-12 he can claim he was "right" but doesn't actually proclaim it. It is like a phoney psychic (or is that psychotic?)

Marvelous
05-07-2006, 12:06 AM
I would like to know how he knows that there is an agreement that the Bills won't tag him next year. Unless it is in writing, word of mouth means nothing unless recorded.

YES!!! We are Bills fans 1st, Clements 2nd. IMO tag & trade next year. I get the impression he doesn't wanna be here.. It's not like he did us a favor by signing his tag sheet. His only option was to hold out and face the same scenerio next year. BUT in his defense he does deserve to be paid top 3 DB. 12-15 SB imo.

ICE74129
05-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Wys got it because it was in the Buffalo News:
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060506/1064911.asp

Not like he has an inside sources.
Notice how if Bills are 0-12 he can claim he was "right" but doesn't actually proclaim it. It is like a phoney psychic (or is that psychotic?)

Yeah and Jim Kelly had a handshake agreement from Ralph Wilson they would extend his contract after his last season too. It means nothing. It also shows the futility of our front office IF that is actually the plan. anyone worth a damn would tag him again and trade him.

We will see.

TacklingDummy
05-07-2006, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=The_Philster] but in this analyst’s opinion his lack of being a premier cover cornerback prevents such a status for teams that would be wiseQUOTE]

In this analyst's opinion WYS is a moron who only predicted the Bills to win 1 game last year (the last Jet game), and he is not a Bills fan.

ddaryl
05-07-2006, 09:41 AM
anyone worth a damn would tag him again and trade him.

We will see.

What does this mean ?

Who isn't worth a damn ?

Forcing NC to sign his deal after he holds out the entire training camp means he learns nothing about the new system, and he is a major distraction.

Marv wants to get NC into camp... happy, let him get familirar with the system, and mentor/push the young guys .... In many ways Marv is one step up on this one. Chances are we could of received a 2nd rd pick in 2007 by forcing NC to sign his Franchise contract this year and franchising him again in 2007, but it may prove to be much more valuable to have NC working the entire season for the Bills happy and content with his situation, and having a positive influence on the rookies.

I have no problem with this move, and believe it might turn out ot be the wiser decision then the alternative, and it paints Marv the Bills in a positive light for future FA signings.

ICE74129
05-07-2006, 01:12 PM
What does this mean ?

Who isn't worth a damn ?

Forcing NC to sign his deal after he holds out the entire training camp means he learns nothing about the new system, and he is a major distraction.

Marv wants to get NC into camp... happy, let him get familirar with the system, and mentor/push the young guys .... In many ways Marv is one step up on this one. Chances are we could of received a 2nd rd pick in 2007 by forcing NC to sign his Franchise contract this year and franchising him again in 2007, but it may prove to be much more valuable to have NC working the entire season for the Bills happy and content with his situation, and having a positive influence on the rookies.

I have no problem with this move, and believe it might turn out ot be the wiser decision then the alternative, and it paints Marv the Bills in a positive light for future FA signings.

What does it mean? Friggin read the damn post. I said if they honestly plan to 'honor their word' and not tag Clements again then it is a FUBAR move. No one with 1/2 a football brain would say 'Ok show up, play one year and we wont' franchise you' THEN honestly not do it!!!

So you want Clements to go to NE, NYJ or Miami next year? I don't. He may not be great but former Bills seem to bite us in the ass later on. Not only that you miss out on a draft pick you could have to help the team.

I am all for yobootay (heheehe god his name cracks me up) stepping up and starting next year. But you NEVER let a guy with any market value at all just walk.

So what if marv does tag him anyway. Now we look like Aholes for lying to the guy to get him to sign. That is a great way to get potential FA's to sign.

Sorry, dumb assed move to make him that guarantee. If he wanted to sit till week 10 so be it. I tag his arse again next year and move on. in the mean time I move Vincent back to CB for this year and let the new safety's have at it.

chernobylwraiths
05-07-2006, 02:57 PM
I say, if the Bills are gonna rebuild and suck this year, then rebuild and suck and get some value for what they have.

Trade Nate now for a first or what you can get . If you are telling him that you will let him walk next year, why bother tagging him THIS year?

Throne Logic
05-07-2006, 04:46 PM
What makes any of you believe that Nate is not on the trading block? Just because he signed a Franchise tender doesn't mean Marv isn't going to take offers.

In fact, it might make Nate that much more appealing in a trade. He didn't hold out, in fact he cancelled a vacation to attend this weekend's OTA. Nate looks like a good team player. Marv looks like a nice reasonable GM. Everyone is happy.

Now, who out there in the NFL world needs a Franchise CB and wants to talk about a trade?

Marvelous
05-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Do we all agree we ARE NOT making a run for the east?

chernobylwraiths made a excellent point and i think we should trade Nate for a 1st next year. To a team outside the division of course ;) The idea of two 1st next year gets me excited even more. Maybe get Ty Law for a 1 year deal..

HHURRICANE
05-07-2006, 06:55 PM
I say, if the Bills are gonna rebuild and suck this year, then rebuild and suck and get some value for what they have.

Trade Nate now for a first or what you can get . If you are telling him that you will let him walk next year, why bother tagging him THIS year?

I totally agree with this. Great post!!!!!!!!!