PDA

View Full Version : Bills' McCargo can haul to the ball

The_Philster
05-07-2006, 05:41 AM
The Buffalo Bills unwrapped some precious cargo for their neglected defensive line this weekend.

Defensive tackle John McCargo, a three-year starter on one of the best defensive lines in college football at North Carolina State, was one of Buffalo's two first-round picks in the NFL draft. The Bills under coach Dick Jauron are putting in place the "Tampa Bay" defense, a system devised by Tony Dungy and transported to such teams as Indianapolis, Chicago and St. Louis. more (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060507/SPORTS03/605070333/1007/SPORTS)

ICE74129
05-07-2006, 08:48 AM
So according to that article we traded up into the first round to draft a backup? He is the backup to Tripplet in his position according to the article. Where as we could have had a starter at the other DT position with Ngata or Bunkley.

We we are going to depend on Anderson to pay NT while McCargo rotates in with Tripplet except on percieved passing downs?

When we can't stop the run again this year, I don't want to hear a word about it.

Dozerdog
05-07-2006, 09:00 AM
So according to that article we traded up into the first round to draft a backup? He is the backup to Tripplet in his position according to the article. Where as we could have had a starter at the other DT position with Ngata or Bunkley.

We we are going to depend on Anderson to pay NT while McCargo rotates in with Tripplet except on percieved passing downs?

When we can't stop the run again this year, I don't want to hear a word about it.And if we do- will you finally shut up?

Dozerdog
05-07-2006, 09:04 AM
Here's the problem- People who just don't understand today's football think in such limited terms.

1 position=1 starter.

HELLOOOOO......the game is situational now. This defense is looking for a number of rotational DL- guys who go balls-out every play. By rotating them in- they put incredible pressure because they are FRESH every play.

Down and distance each play will dictate who the "starter" is if you really want to cling to some imaginary title.

The same will go for our WRs

Meister
05-07-2006, 09:31 AM
If you draft a player in the first round to be a "situational" player he better be a damn good one. Somehow I doubt you would lable Seymour or Taylor as such. If you have a clear disparity in talent your starter plays every down that is humanly possible.

Mr. Pink
05-07-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm in agreement with Ice here. Generally, you don't draft someone in round one to be a rotational starter. You draft him on the thought that he's an every down starter. And if he's rotating with Triplett except on passing downs when they're both out there, teams aren't going to need to pass very much with Timmy Anderson playing the Nose. We all found that out last year.

You know just when you start getting positive about the draft/offseason you read things like this. Ugh.

Tatonka
05-07-2006, 10:42 AM
i was really thinking that mccargo was going to be taking andersons place and mccargo and tripplet would be the two main guys.. with anderson and williams rotating in on occassion..

that sucks a fat one if anderson is still going to be out there alot.

Jan Reimers
05-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Let's see. . .this article was published the second day of minicamp, meaning it was probably written after one practice session with Triplett, McCargo, Anderson, Williams, et. al.

Does anyone else feel it's a little early to be assigning starting roles?

ICE74129
05-07-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm in agreement with Ice here. Generally, you don't draft someone in round one to be a rotational starter. You draft him on the thought that he's an every down starter. And if he's rotating with Triplett except on passing downs when they're both out there, teams aren't going to need to pass very much with Timmy Anderson playing the Nose. We all found that out last year.

You know just when you start getting positive about the draft/offseason you read things like this. Ugh.

Agreed but some just dont get it. If we are drafting someone in the first round he starts NEXT TO Tripplet, he doesn't come in as relief FOR tripplet. And you dont' draft a guy to be a situational player. Those guys are 4th round and lower.

ICE74129
05-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Here's the problem- People who just don't understand today's football think in such limited terms.

1 position=1 starter.

HELLOOOOO......the game is situational now. This defense is looking for a number of rotational DL- guys who go balls-out every play. By rotating them in- they put incredible pressure because they are FRESH every play.

Down and distance each play will dictate who the "starter" is if you really want to cling to some imaginary title.

HELLLOOOO? What is this 5th grade? An 80's recap or something? Anyway you NEVER use a first round pick on a situational guy...NEVER. All you are tying to do is cover up for Marvs screw up and now that we know McCargos role...it was a ROYAL screwup of a move.

We could have had Ngata or Bunkley playing WITH Tripplet. Instead we wasted a draft pick on a guy that will play about 15 or so snaps a game. Relief of tripplet and on some passing downs. Sorry, NEVER with a first round pick.

So here is the reality (again that nasty word the homers hate) of the situation. We traded up into the first round, losing a 3rd round pick we really could have used....to take a situational DT. Brilliant. So when we see Anderson getting mowed over AGAIN this year as team run up and down the field, we can thank marv.

And BTW...I wonder how Fletcher feels knowing an undersized DT in Tripplet and friggin Anderson are there to try and keep guards off of his ass? Not too happy I would guess.

ICE74129
05-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Let's see. . .this article was published the second day of minicamp, meaning it was probably written after one practice session with Triplett, McCargo, Anderson, Williams, et. al.

Does anyone else feel it's a little early to be assigning starting roles?

Jan, if this is the role they are assigning McCargo....it was a Cluster you know what of a pick. Esp when a 3 down guy who can stop the run AND rush the passer was there in Bunkley. And Esp when a possible 3 down guy in Ngata was there to tie up a guard and Center as well as push the pocket AND keep guards off of London Fletchers ass.

Fearless prediction...We start Anderson and Tripplet...NE runs for 150+ on us

Bling
05-07-2006, 01:05 PM

1 position=1 starter.

I agree and disagree... Today's NFL is bringing in tons of backups. I hate to boast about the Dolphins, but that's what made them better last year. 2 starting RBs, 2 quality backup QB (I know none of them were starters), great depth at OL, great depth on the DL, great depth in the LB corp that when Seau and Thomas did not play they still managed to play well. It's apparent also in BB's system where he can plug in Troy Brown at CB and still manage. The NFL today is before our eyes revolutionizing itself.

However, if you're going to bring in depth, I'm sorry but you don't draft a backup DT in the 1st round. I gurantee that if you drafted Justice in the 2nd or BPA, and drafted another DT later, you would be a better team because of it.

Tatonka
05-07-2006, 01:15 PM
hey ice.. what happen to the support marv at all costs attitude that you had for about 3 weeks?

justasportsfan
05-07-2006, 02:36 PM
hey ice.. what happen to the support marv at all costs attitude that you had for about 3 weeks?

He'LL change his mind.

Tatonka
05-07-2006, 03:14 PM
he spent weeks dogging anyone who didnt give marv and dick a chance... now he cant stop doing exactly what he complained about. doesnt make any sense.

ICE74129
05-07-2006, 04:37 PM

I never had a support marv at all costs attitude. I said I agreed how he had been rebuilding through FA.

ICE74129
05-07-2006, 04:38 PM
he spent weeks dogging anyone who didnt give marv and dick a chance... now he cant stop doing exactly what he complained about. doesnt make any sense.

If marv picked McCargo just to rotate in and backup and not start at the other DT spot, he fugged up. There is no way around it.

I am giving the man a chance. I liked the FA and am not that pleased with the draft. it is 50/50 so far.

Only sith deal in absolutes.

Jan Reimers
05-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Jan, if this is the role they are assigning McCargo....it was a Cluster you know what of a pick. Esp when a 3 down guy who can stop the run AND rush the passer was there in Bunkley. And Esp when a possible 3 down guy in Ngata was there to tie up a guard and Center as well as push the pocket AND keep guards off of London Fletchers ass.

Fearless prediction...We start Anderson and Tripplet...NE runs for 150+ on us
Why would we have traded up to grab McCargo in the first round if we didn't have bigger plans for him?

I think Jauron may have downplayed his role, since he is a rookie undergoing his first minicamp. Then Leo Roth writes an article and we all take it as gospel that McCargo will have a limited role.

I'm just saying it is too early for the Bills to have assigned him any permanent role, and too early for us fans to assume he will be a backup to Triplett. Let's wait and see how summer camp progresses - he may very well be too good to keep out of the starting lineup - before we write him off as a bad pick.

Tatonka
05-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Only sith deal in absolutes.

i cant believe you said that man.. lol

:nerd:

basically, you spent weeks dogging anyone who had a bad thing to say about the bills at all.. and now you cant say a good thing.. you spent all that time defending the FA method, when clearly, depending on how you wanted to look at it, it could be questioned.. the draft is the same thing.. it just depends on how you want to look at it, as to whether you want to cry about it or look for the positives..

your attitude towards the bills is so fairweather.. one day your hot, the next your cold..

jeckle and hyde.

ICE74129
05-07-2006, 06:14 PM
i cant believe you said that man.. lol

:nerd:

basically, you spent weeks dogging anyone who had a bad thing to say about the bills at all.. and now you cant say a good thing.. you spent all that time defending the FA method, when clearly, depending on how you wanted to look at it, it could be questioned.. the draft is the same thing.. it just depends on how you want to look at it, as to whether you want to cry about it or look for the positives..

your attitude towards the bills is so fairweather.. one day your hot, the next your cold..

jeckle and hyde.
Not at all, I am not absolute and clear black and white in my thinking. What if marv had done really well in FA then drafted Marcus Vick with the 8th pick. Do you feel that marv did a good job?

Polian has had his bad moves as well.

I will say this again and hopefully that it will FINALLY sink in. IF (meaning it hasn't happened yet but could) McCargo doesnt' start BESIDE Tripplet come the NE Game and is in fact his rotation backup...Marv mad a VERY VERY Bad call. You dont' draft a rotation backup in the first round. You try to draft a starter. Bunkley could have started in the NT spot and gave us as many downs as needed. Ngata might have also.

All of that aside, damn cute kid in that pic :-)