• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

What WR is the Odd Man Out?

The way I'm seeing it right now, I'm befuddled why we resigned Josh Reed and especially why he got $10 million dollars.

Lee Evans is obviously the number one WR and I think Peerless Price will inherit Evan's old #2 job on the outside. Roscoe Parrish and Andre Davis are both candidates for the #3 spot. Sam Aiken isn't much of a WR threat but he's an absolute ACE on special teams. Martin Nance was signed after the draft and is the lone Bills WR with good size. That's six WR right there. You have to assume Reed is making the team given his contract and signing bonus.

Who is the odd-man out in your opinion? I'd assume unless someone gets hurt Nance ends up on the practice squad. But between Reed, Parrish and Davis someone is only going to be the 5th WR. I think the team keeps six because Aiken is so good on special teams.

IMO, Reed was a wasted signing and his money would have been better served to put towards signing a true 1-gap nose tackle. Every move can't be a great move, but I really don't like this one, especially after bringing in Davis and Price as well.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • venis2k1
    Youboty can hope
    • Jul 2002

Re: What WR is the Odd Man Out?

the thought of Martin Nance with a few years under Tyke Tolbert is very exciting to me.

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

32 other teams obviously know something I dont, because I was shocked he wasn't drafted.. I had him penciled in as a late-first day pick in my mock draft, and at worst I figured he'd go fourth round.

Good for the Bills with that move, but I still hate the Reed signing

Comment

• Marvelous
        • Feb 2004

Nance is the odd man out. Oh boohoo! He has facinating upside and is very popular for a udfa but i don't see him beating out Reed or parrish or Davis.
        +we got Aiken..Man!
        GO BILLS!!! NE
        Magical Trevor

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

They kept seven last year, didn't they?
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• MVP
            Bring The Pain
            • Apr 2006

I see our roster being
            Evans
            Price
            Davis
            Parrish
            Reed
            Nance

I say Jonathan Smith, Wilson will be cut, we really don't need either, and Aiken could stay on the practice squad, we really don't need him on special teams with the additions of Bowen, and The Rookies.

Comment

• Tatonka
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MVP
              I see our roster being
              Evans
              Price
              Davis
              Parrish
              Reed
              Nance

I say Jonathan Smith, Wilson will be cut, we really don't need either, and Aiken could stay on the practice squad, we really don't need him on special teams with the additions of Bowen, and The Rookies.
              i see the same.. although aiken wont be on the practice squad..

aiken might be good at special teams.. but he can easily be replaced.. we have the coaching on special teams in place to make any of our young hungry guys good special teams players.. plus we just added bowens as a special teams ace too.
              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

btw, i love that group of receivers listed
                "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• G. Host
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                  The way I'm seeing it right now, I'm befuddled why we resigned Josh Reed and especially why he got $10 million dollars.
                  The reason why you befuddled is:
                  1. You do not like the player and obvious talent evaluators at OBD who have actually worked with him and studdied his film do
                  2. You do not realize or would rather not include in discussion that it was a contract which was heavily weighted in later years of 4 year contract

Even those in the press get it in their mind that "so and so" is not a good player and refuses to consider all evidence contrary. Glenn Parker was a big whipping boy for press and when he left he was able to contribute to Giants making it to Superbowl.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Prior to the OL getting killed Reed thrived well in the Gilbride passing game. Since we will be passing a lot, maybe Fairchild sees Reed fitting in well with his schemes.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by MVP
                      I see our roster being
                      Evans
                      Price
                      Davis
                      Parrish
                      Reed
                      Nance

Aiken cannot be added to the practice squad...the rules won't allow it. I agree with that list if we keep 6. Aiken is the odd man out unless he can beat out Davis or Price. We could also end up keeping 7 in which case Aiken is a keeper.

I think that play to erase the shutout that Reed made at the end of the NE game showed us exactly what he is capable of. He had a pretty good rookie season as a 3rd to Moulds and Price, but hasn't been put into very good situations since.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by G. Host
                        The reason why you befuddled is:
                        1. You do not like the player and obvious talent evaluators at OBD who have actually worked with him and studdied his film do
                        2. You do not realize or would rather not include in discussion that it was a contract which was heavily weighted in later years of 4 year contract
                        Even those in the press get it in their mind that "so and so" is not a good player and refuses to consider all evidence contrary. Glenn Parker was a big whipping boy for press and when he left he was able to contribute to Giants making it to Superbowl.
                        a. You are right, I do not like Josh Reed. He's had FOUR years to prove he's a valuable player and he's failed in anyway to do so; unless you consider the 48 catches for 602 yards and 2 touchdowns in his THIRD and FOURTH seasons COMBINED as being productive.

b. To the best of my knowledge, Reed got like a $2.5 million signing bonus so how is that a heavily weighted contract in the later years?

Now if Reed was brought back out of necessity because nobody else was available that would be one thing.. But we signed Andre Davis before and Peerless Price after resigning Reed, and we still have a second-round pick from just a year ago at receiver as well (Parrish) as well as Aiken. Maybe it's only my opinion, but Reed was a waste of money.

I like the competition aspect at every position, but we have 7-8 WR's vying for spots, while in the meantime Tim Anderson has all but been handed a starting position at defensive tackle.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                          • Apr 2005

so our second round pick from last year might end up being fourth on the depth chart...tim anderson is another second round pick that needs to start producing.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by WillisMcNasty21
                            so our second round pick from last year might end up being fourth on the depth chart...tim anderson is another second round pick that needs to start producing.
                            Through dumb luck of sorts, Tim Anderson has become a CRITICAL part of this football team. He NEEDS to step up and be an excellent run stuffer or we're going to get run all over again in 2006.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Aiken will make the team...if they keep six, Nance will be on the practice squad...if they keep seven Smith and Wilson won't beat out Aiken or Nance.

Josh Reed is the best blocking receiver we have and will be in the slot when the option to run or pass is still available. Parrish will play the slot on obvious passing downs.

Just IMO.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X