PDA

View Full Version : Piss on Fans around the league..

patmoran2006
05-07-2006, 03:25 PM
I posted a little article on my Fox Sports Blog in which I ranked from Worst to First how each team did in the NFL draft, in MY OPINION.

I have the Bills ranked pretty high. Let me just tell you guys that I have gotten about 75 or so emails (at least) today alone and the vast majority of them have said that I am crazy for having the Bills listed as a draft winner.

The general conensus around the league with fans is we had a terrible draft. Personally I say F-them, but it should be noted that this in LARGE is the response I am getting.

Here is the article I'm referring to.
http://blogs.foxsports.com/patmoran2006/2006/05/07/NFL_Draft_Worst_To_First

Nighthawk
05-07-2006, 03:29 PM
I posted a little article on my Fox Sports Blog in which I ranked from Worst to First how each team did in the NFL draft, in MY OPINION.

I have the Bills ranked pretty high. Let me just tell you guys that I have gotten about 75 or so emails (at least) today alone and the vast majority of them have said that I am crazy for having the Bills listed as a draft winner.

The general conensus around the league with fans is we had a terrible draft. Personally I say F-them, but it should be noted that this in LARGE is the response I am getting.

Here is the article I'm referring to.
http://blogs.foxsports.com/patmoran2006/2006/05/07/NFL_Draft_Worst_To_First

Of course you're getting that response. Mel Kiper and the dufuses on ESPN said the Bills did terrible on draft day and that pretty much wraps up the amount of draft knowledge most football fans have. If they were to look deeper into the draft, they may have a different opinion.

AndreReed83
05-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Of course you're getting that response. Mel Kiper and the dufuses on ESPN said the Bills did terrible on draft day and that pretty much wraps up the amount of draft knowledge most football fans have. If they were to look deeper into the draft, they may have a different opinion.

EXACTLY. A big reason the general consensus is the draft was bad, is the fact that the ESPN crew went ape shat on the Bills. Because of Mel Kiper and ESPN, most people think Whitner was a middle to late 1st rounder and McCargo was a 3rd rounder.

Jan Reimers
05-07-2006, 03:39 PM
But they forget that some draft guides had both Simpson and Youboty rated as late first rounders and Williams as one of the elite DTs.

patmoran2006
05-07-2006, 03:48 PM
But they forget that some draft guides had both Simpson and Youboty rated as late first rounders and Williams as one of the elite DTs.

To me anyway, gettting Youboty and Simpson in rounds three and four is what puts the Bills draft among the top 10 best as far as I'm concerned.

Whitner and McCargo may or may not have been reaches. Both will be extremely important to our new cover two. Youboty and Simpson gives us by 2007 potentially 75% of a new and improved secondary.

McCargo I expect to see the EXACT same kind of player Tripplett was as a Colt. Didn't start but played and produced PLENTY.

Naturally, I wish a few things had been done differently, but EVERYBODY has their own opinion on that. If I could take back ONE move I'd have not traded up for McCargo, taken Wroten in round two and a guard with our second third. BUT, if you had told me we'd have Whitner, Simpson and Youboty in this draft I'd have told you your crazy. This was a good draft and in this rare instance I am on the side of the Buffalo Bills and not the national opinion.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-07-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm going to have to say that might be a little high for me, so piss on me also.

Night Train
05-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Most fans opinions are driven by the media and 2nd rate draft guides, instead of scouts.

What pissed off many people was the lack of OL picks and the supposed "reaches". I could care less.

The Bills drafted a lot of good talent, IMO. Bottom line.

Only the uninformed/weak of mind let " Mort " tell them how to think.:coocoo:

patmoran2006
05-07-2006, 05:17 PM
So this thread is about people's opinions, correct?
EVERY thread should be about people's opinions.

!Papacrunk!
05-07-2006, 05:34 PM
So this thread is about people's opinions, correct?On that note, I don't agree with a lot of other people and I don't think Buffalo had a bad draft, since they had a lot of great picks in the later rounds, but #6? I'm not calling you a homer, but that sure is a generous spot. Also the inclusion of Marcus Vick was a humorous one since he wasn't drafted by Miami and entire blog is about the draft, granted you said it had nothing to do with the draft. Another thing is that on one side you condemn people for "hating" against your rating, and think they should piss off, but with some of your descriptions you go off what other people think to give value to a pick--"Offensive tackle Winston Justice was regarded by many as a top 15-20 player." So exactly who's opinion counts and who's doesn't? I realize in an above post you mention everyone has their own opinions, but that's what all of these grades are, are opinions. People that think the Bills had a "F" draft, is just what they feel, that doesn't make them any more correct than you, but I guess they must be wrong, since they're uninformed since they came to such a negative view. Also, I'm confused when it seems like the value system is thrown out of the door when it's utilized to say that the top picks were reaches, but it's ok to use when saying how much of a steal the later ones were. I guess I must confuse easy or something.

Bling
05-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Maybe because you're a huge hypocrite...

Jason Allen is a highly skilled player but he's also a high injury risk. He's coming off an injured hip. With no second rounder the Fins could have easily traded down and still got Jimmy Williams.

While some critics called both first rounders a reach none of them were the Bills defensive coordinator last season.

So Nick Saban needs to work on his drafting, who proved last year to have the best rookie class with 3 starters over 12 games. But instead Bills 80 year-old GM Marv Levy who we know did not watch enough game film and is in his 1st draft did a better job. Explain that one to me. If Miami could've traded down, so too could've Buffalo.

!Papacrunk!
05-07-2006, 05:38 PM
IMO, I think we did a C which is fair since we didn't have an abundance of draft picks, with Culpepper being the 2nd rnd pick and Manny Wright was our 5th in the last supplemental draft.

feelthepain
05-07-2006, 11:39 PM

I think Miami gets a B, many experts think Allen was top 10 talent before his injury, his talent wasn't lost from the injury. It's natural for a players stock to drop if he's injured in his senior season. Allen had a strong combine, Saban felt he was worthy of the pick your opinion is just that an opinion, Saban not only tried recruit him out of HS, but he coached against him. They've met on several different occasions and Allen has been through the Dolphin medical staff. I'm more then certain Allen was low risk or Saban wouldn't have passed on trading down to take him.

As for the Bills draft it was a good draft as far as talent, however Whitner is not top 10 talent. He should have been taken in the top 15 to 20 so he was a reach, mistake #1. McCargo was not a 1st round pick he should have been a mid to late second and thats more because of his teammates then his actual talent, mistake #2. From here on as far as talent the Bills did well, but it was mostly D mistake #3, the Bills have a terrible Oline. Worse then the Dline they had, they wait till the 5ht round to address it, mistake #4. The Bill waste a third round pick to move up to take a player instead of addressing the position in FA,mistake #5. The Bills could have made some serious strides with this draft instead they waste picks and reach for players. How can Bill fans not see this but everyone else can??

I don't think the talent brought in was bad at all, but they way the draft played out it was probably the worst case scenario. Marvs first draft as GM, not being up to speed with the talent avalible inexperience and the Bills turn what could have been one of the best drafts as a whole and ended up with nothing more then an avg. draft. This ofcourse is just my opinion, but I didn't say anything that was just out of dislike for the Bills, it was mostly factual and realistic.

Back to the Dolphins, you say nothing about Culpepper who we used our 2nd round pick on or Derek Hagan who was listed on most boards as the 4th best WR in the draft or Rodirique Wright who we got with our 2nd 7th round pick...talk about value. I could go on, but if you refuse to be unbias when writting your report about the Bills draft then don't be surprised when you get the responses you get. Don't you think with that many people telling you your way over the top with your opinion of the Bills draft maybe, just maybe it was??

TigerJ
05-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Fans can't get past the Bills' first round and what Mel Kiper said. There are a number of lesser known pundits coming out now and saying that Whitner and McCargo in round one may not have been a bad idea at all, though some still think they could have been drafted later. A lot of pundits are saying Buffalo drafted well in rounds 3-7 but the nearsighted among league fans can't get past round one.

All is as it should be. Everyone around the league is piling on and here we are circling the wagons.

Mr. Miyagi
05-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Who cares if people think we have a terrible draft. Draft grades don't affect win/loss records. When Week 1 starts no one will remember how well/poorly you drafted. So why waste your time worrying about it.

justasportsfan
05-08-2006, 09:10 AM
But instead Bills 80 year-old GM Marv Levy who we know did not watch enough game film

Wow, you have a wealthy friend too? :D.

The funny thing Pat is that, most ESPN media experts are blasting our picks because most of them were wrong. We were not the only team who made picks that didn't agree with theirs. Other than Mayock, a lot of these experts were way off and it made them look bad.

Ickybaluky
05-08-2006, 09:22 AM
My only comment is about using Mike Doss as a comparison for a good S.

You are kidding, right? Bob Sanders is a good player, but Doss? Doss sucks. Indy is trying to replace the guy because he sucks. Really, you better hope you don't end up with another Mike Doss.

HAMMER
05-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Who cares if people think we have a terrible draft. Draft grades don't affect win/loss records. When Week 1 starts no one will remember how well/poorly you drafted. So why waste your time worrying about it.

Zactly!

Michael82
05-09-2006, 12:22 PM
EXACTLY. A big reason the general consensus is the draft was bad, is the fact that the ESPN crew went ape shat on the Bills. Because of Mel Kiper and ESPN, most people think Whitner was a middle to late 1st rounder and McCargo was a 3rd rounder.
ESPN **** on the Bills draft so much that they didn't even bother with the highlight videos. They pretty much skipped the Whitner pick. :ill: