PDA

View Full Version : An NFC personnel director's take on the Bills draft:

socalfan
05-07-2006, 05:03 PM
An NFC personnel director's take on the Bills draft: "I think they had their best draft in years. Did they take Whitner a little high? Yes, but he's going to be really good. They took productive players with high character. The defensive tackle, Kyle Williams, is like a Chris Hovan. The strong part of the draft in the last few rounds was offensive line. We liked Brad Butler. Terrance Pennington is a huge talent with 36-inch arms and he can play left tackle. Aaron Merz is a smart guy who's really strong."

LINK (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060507/1060947.asp?tbd1060947.asp)

Jan Reimers
05-07-2006, 05:11 PM
But he's only an NFL personnel director who makes his living evaluating players. . . he's certainly not Mel Kiper, Jr., whose father was most assuredly Mel Kiper, Sr.

Tatonka
05-07-2006, 05:20 PM
good find.

socalfan
05-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Yeah - what I liked in particular about this write up, was the guy's underlying opinion about the past couple of Bills' drafts. Who knows how this draft will turn out....but to have the guy go on record by saying we did better this time according to his board...well, that's makes me think we aren't as out of step with the rest of the world. Maybe McGahee and Parish will be all-pros.....but, I would rather the Bills had been more conservative.

Bill Brasky
05-07-2006, 11:18 PM
The defensive tackle, Kyle Williams, is like a Chris Hovan.

Wow, that makes me feel great!

billsburgh
05-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Maybe we're not doomed after all

Mr. Cynical
05-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Nope, we still are.

:jk:

Michael82
05-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Nice writeup. I hope this guy is right. :clap:

:pray:

Mitchy moo
05-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Nice writeup. I hope this guy is right. :clap:

:pray:

We all hope so but I think he rides the :shortbus:

Drive 4 Five
05-08-2006, 02:17 PM
NOBODY gets it right all of the time, and he likely is going to make some mistakes on his watch as GM, but for anyone to EVER make comments suggesting that Levy does not know what he is doing, and that he is WAY in over his head, is simply pure stupidity.

Michael82
05-08-2006, 02:18 PM
He could say the same thing about you. :::

Drive 4 Five
05-08-2006, 02:27 PM

What are you talking about? Skooby does not ride the bus. He is not allowed to. He isn't even potty-trained. He ***** everywhere!

Mitchy moo
05-08-2006, 02:29 PM

We had alot of picks and got no names, that doesn't mean they will not turn into anything but if you predicted this draft ahead of time you would of won the lottery that night as well.

AndreReed83
05-08-2006, 03:49 PM
We had alot of picks and got no names, that doesn't mean they will not turn into anything but if you predicted this draft ahead of time you would of won the lottery that night as well.

Please give your list of "names." In the third round, he got a guy who was projected as top 2nd. In the fourth round, he got a guy that was projected as a late 1st. In the fifth round, he got a guy who was projected as a 2nd-3rd round. I had heard plenty about Youboty, Simpson, and Williams before the Bills selected them. Not too mention Butler, whom we all remember from the incident with Kiwanuka. Besides, going only for the "names" of the draft can seriously bite a team in the ass as well.

HAMMER
05-09-2006, 03:02 PM

No big shiney names must mean we have failed.

OpIv37
05-09-2006, 03:12 PM
I have to say that I'm really sick of hearing this "high character" ****. Don't get me wrong- I'm glad Buffalo doesn't mess around with assclowns like Meshawn, TO, Marcus Vick etc. We don't need the distractions or the negative publicity

But Buffalo's been known for drafting/signing "high character" guys for years and so far, it hasn't gotten us anywhere. No one ever questioned Drew Bledsoe's character- look how far he got us. Again, "high character" is a good thing- but it doesn't create wins and therefore should not be used in a draft evaluation.

justasportsfan
05-09-2006, 03:25 PM
But Buffalo's been known for drafting/signing "high character" guys for years and so far, it hasn't gotten us anywhere. .
who were the high character guys we drafted? I can only think of Reed. Character is just a part of it, intelligence was not taken into account by TD. Preston was smart but not much of a football player in college. What was Parrish's wonderlic? JP had character issues.

Marv had criterias when it comes to players. TD had none. It's either he was just smart, just a player, or just good character.

If they didn't have everything, "was he a football player in college?" ....TD "no but he's high character".

Does he fit in you scheme? TD :" what scheme?"

What you fail to see in this years draft, is that we drafted high character "FOOTBALL PLAYERS" . Huge difference from just being nice guys. Whether they pan out is a different thing. But comparing TD drafts to Marv's are apples and oranges.

OpIv37
05-09-2006, 03:36 PM
who were the high character guys we drafted? I can only think of Reed. Character is just a part of it, intelligence was not taken into account by TD. What was Parrish's wonderlic? JP had character issues.

What you fail to see in this years draft, is that we drafted high character "FOOTBALL PLAYERS" . Huge difference from just being nice guys. Whether they pan out is a different thing. But comparing TD drafts to Marv's are apples and oranges.

dude, I didn't compare TD's draft to Marv's draft here. This guy used "high character" as a positive feature of our draft. Until high character starts equaling wins, it's irrelevant to the draft analysis.

Iehoshua
05-09-2006, 03:39 PM
I wish it was an AFC guy... The NFC stinks...

:ill:

justasportsfan
05-09-2006, 03:41 PM
dude, I didn't compare TD's draft to Marv's draft here. This guy used "high character" as a positive feature of our draft. Until high character starts equaling wins, it's irrelevant to the draft analysis. But it's part of drafting the right players.

When coaches were asked about what they looked in players before the draft., high character was no. 1.

Are most of the coaches wrong in not taking Eric Winston in the 1st rd? Don't forget, 32 other GM's and coaches passed on him as well in the 2nd rd. Vick?

Patti120
05-09-2006, 03:55 PM
But clearly we are all high character guys, right?

dolphan117
05-09-2006, 04:21 PM
This report would mean a lot more if it said exatly what personel director in the NFC you are talking about. Heck Matt Millen is a GM in the NFC.
And I am serious about that. I have the same thought when "un named" GMs have things to say about what the Dolphins do as well.

Jeff1220
05-09-2006, 08:59 PM
The term high character had a different meaning to TD than it does to Marv. To TD, high character meant the guy behaved himself, and that's pretty much it. To TD, Mike Williams was a high character player, good-natured, never getting into trouble, etc. Marv didn't see Mike Williams as high character because, to Marv, high-character is not just the lack of a criminal record. It is also the desire to win, work hard to get there, and to never quit, combined with as much intelligence as possible. Mike Williams was a nice guy, but he didn't have these other characteristics.

That's the difference between the high-character approach of the past vs. that of the current regime.

tat2dmike77
05-09-2006, 09:26 PM

I'm going to correct you mikey

WE SAY THE SAME THING ABOUT SKOOBY

Pinkerton Security
05-09-2006, 10:16 PM
No big shiney names must mean we have failed.

I am hoping you were joking, and I think you were. If you were, I totally agree with you.

I am sick of the "big names"...look at the big names that have failed over the years. Its more of a disappointment when they dont pan out then when others do. Admittedly,the draft is a crapshoot. There is NO WAY to know a player will succeed. However, the Bills got guys they thought were going to be good football players, and I think they did a good job of it. They may have been conservative, but I would rather them be conservative and get good football players 75% of the time than not and get great players 25% of the time. I have no idea how these ratios came to mind just then, I just thought it would help illustrate a point that I think "big names" are much riskier.

Oh and if you were serious, forget all that, you're just plain WRONG.:sorry:

haha jk

jamze132
05-10-2006, 07:00 AM
Remember, winners go home and **** the prom queen, while losers, well they draft FLASHY NAMES!

MarvLevy
05-10-2006, 08:22 PM
MCGAHEE SURE ISNT HIGH CHARACTER.

Dont drink the water
05-10-2006, 08:58 PM
MCGAHEE SURE ISNT HIGH CHARACTER.
McG was brought in before current administration and will not be signing any extension. He will be looking for work in Miami.