PDA

View Full Version : Bills LB Spikes takes next step in long rehab

The_Philster
05-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Linebacker Takeo Spikes took his place behind the defensive line waiting for the snap of the ball, when suddenly there was the sound of a distinct "Pop!"

It wasn't the right Achilles' tendon which the Buffalo Bills star tore in September, an injury that forced him to miss most of last season. It was the burst of a big pink balloon of bubble gum that Spikes blew. more (http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=479344)

Bombdiggity
05-07-2006, 07:45 PM
god I got scared reading early in that...I hope hes back in full force come September

Turf
05-07-2006, 10:33 PM
I always liked his heart and desire.

ICE74129
05-08-2006, 06:32 AM
Linebacker Takeo Spikes took his place behind the defensive line waiting for the snap of the ball, when suddenly there was the sound of a distinct "Pop!"

It wasn't the right Achilles' tendon which the Buffalo Bills star tore in September, an injury that forced him to miss most of last season. It was the burst of a big pink balloon of bubble gum that Spikes blew. more (http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=479344)

He still walks with a slight limp? I know spikes is all rah rah rah, but walking with any sign of a limp this far along isn't a good sign. He had surgery what, 7 months ago?

mybills
05-08-2006, 07:13 AM
He's prolly just babying it, ICE. I didn't see him limp at all when he co-hosted one of the pre-games last year, and that was soon after surgery. He was right in there with Howie Long and the guys showing the play examples, and didn't limp once. :up:

painpiljunkie
05-08-2006, 07:22 AM
He still walks with a slight limp? I know spikes is all rah rah rah, but walking with any sign of a limp this far along isn't a good sign. He had surgery what, 7 months ago?

Spikes will be ok by sept. I just had spinal fusion surgery Feb 2nd (6 screws, 4 rods and a cage not to mention drilling bone marrow out of my hip) and I went from barely being able to stand without a walker to kicking a soccerball with my kids almost overnight.

I'm a 34 year old who worked construction and partied most of my life abusing my body, just imagine how fast a finely tuned athelete like Takeo is going to heal. Limping one week, jogging the next, sprinting at full steam a month later.

Takeo's a warrior baby! Mentally, physically and spiritually. He says he'll be back in playing condition come September. I believe him.

HHURRICANE
05-08-2006, 08:03 AM
Uhhh, I'm in the know on this one. I was the one who posted that he was in trouble 2 days before he blew his tendon. It's a high tear and harder to fix and recover from. He knew it was going to pop, and the doctors pretty much told him that.

Let me save everyone from the speculation. He'll play, but never, ever, at the same level again. It's that kind of injury. I'm not questioning his heart, nor am I trying to rain on anyone's parade, but you need to be prepared.

I feel bad for him because he is such a great character guy for this team. But sometimes life isn't fair.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Uhhh, I'm in the know on this one. I was the one who posted that he was in trouble 2 days before he blew his tendon. It's a high tear and harder to fix and recover from. He knew it was going to pop, and the doctors pretty much told him that.

Let me save everyone from the speculation. He'll play, but never, ever, at the same level again. It's that kind of injury. I'm not questioning his heart, nor am I trying to rain on anyone's parade, but you need to be prepared.

I feel bad for him because he is such a great character guy for this team. But sometimes life isn't fair.

Dude, how are you qualified to evaluate a patient that you have not personally evaluated?

BuffaloBillsStampede
05-08-2006, 10:19 AM
I don't know about never being the same, but they usually say it takes a full year of football until they look the same after this injury.

G. Host
05-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Recovery time has been reduced with improvements in trainimg, diet and exercise as well as improved surgery techniques.

BuffaloBillsStampede
05-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Is this the same injury that Julian Peterson had a couple years ago?

Jan Reimers
05-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Unless you are an orthopaedic surgeon with first hand knowledge of Spikes' injury, surgery and rehab, you really have no basis on which to speculate about his prospects for recovery.

What used to be career ending - or at least career damaging - injuries, are now being treated with increasing success.

Only Spikes, his doctors and God know how good he will be in the future - and Spikes and his doctors can really only guess at this point.

Drive 4 Five
05-08-2006, 02:55 PM
god I got scared reading early in that...I hope hes back in full force come September

Yeah man. My heart actually skipped a beat. I nearly **** myself.

HHURRICANE
05-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Dude, how are you qualified to evaluate a patient that you have not personally evaluated?

I'm not Skooby. I'm not dumb enough to post something that I don't have first hand knowledge of. I'm also not dumb enough to post how I know this on a Fanzone website. Let's leave it at that.

HHURRICANE
05-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Unless you are an orthopaedic surgeon with first hand knowledge of Spikes' injury, surgery and rehab, you really have no basis on which to speculate about his prospects for recovery.

What used to be career ending - or at least career damaging - injuries, are now being treated with increasing success.

Only Spikes, his doctors and God know how good he will be in the future - and Spikes and his doctors can really only guess at this point.

He won't be where he was. That's a fact.

Drive 4 Five
05-08-2006, 03:10 PM
He won't be where he was. That's a fact.

Oh well. Spikes at 95% is still better than most at 110. Now THAT is a FACT.

ICE74129
05-08-2006, 04:29 PM
He's prolly just babying it, ICE. I didn't see him limp at all when he co-hosted one of the pre-games last year, and that was soon after surgery. He was right in there with Howie Long and the guys showing the play examples, and didn't limp once. :up:

Man I hope not he is my favorite Bill. if he is limping still 7 months post op, he is in trouble.