PDA

View Full Version : Deal Clements

mikemac2001
05-07-2006, 06:25 PM
We should just deal clements he is gonna be a problem and isnt in the future at all, id trade him now if we could get a 2nd that could be upgraded to 1st if he plays well. and if we dont we cant let him walk next year like they are saying

do we have a chance this year i think 8-8 would be fantastic year for us. but you never know, if D gets back to way it was and JP shows some improvement. id like to get rid of him now but not hearing much about it

shelby
05-07-2006, 06:31 PM
He just resigned for the season.

After two months of stagnating contract talks, Clements signed a one-year deal Friday under terms of the NFL's franchise tag, meaning he will play for the Bills in 2006 for $7.2 million, the average of the top five players at his position.
The Bills have until July 15 to sign him to a longer deal and retain their franchise tag so that it can be used on a future player, something general manager Marv Levy said the team would like to do. While there is urgency on the team's part to make that happen, there is none on the part of Clements, who would stand to earn even more money as a free agent in 2007 because of the new collective bargaining agreement. That's provided he has another big season and isn't injured. It's a gamble worth taking.
link (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060506/SPORTS03/605060345/1007/SPORTS)

i'm waiting to see who the starting QB will be before i make any predictions for this season.

mikemac2001
05-07-2006, 06:40 PM
i'm waiting to see who the starting QB will be before i make any predictions for this season.

i know he resigned but whats the point of him playing when we are gonna lose him anyways is my feeling i can see a team dealing this year bc they will have him for all this year before they even lose a pick...i dont think he wants to stay and i dont think we will pay him that much to stay. i think he is good player and always have liked him. but i think best move for team and future is to deal him now....and about the QB idc if its JP kelly or Craig NALL i dont think any of them will win 8 games....thats why starting kelly would be a waste to the two younger qbs

shelby
05-07-2006, 07:00 PM
JP scared me last season.:nervous:
i don't know much about Nall so i have no opinion on him.
As to Nate...he could help us out this year because he'll be looking for a big money contract out of someone else next season.

ICE74129
05-07-2006, 07:03 PM
What bugs me is the stupid move of saying they wouldn't franchise him next year. 1) they tell the truth and the guy becomes a Jet or something. 2) we do anyway and look like SH@! for lying to him. yeah that really helps a struggling franchise with free agents.

billsburgh
05-08-2006, 12:30 AM
Unless Marv is confident that they will get a long term deal worked out, they are foolish for giving up the right to franchise Nate again next year. Maybe this was a good will gesture on the teams part in trying to work out a long term deal that is good for both sides. On another note, what team will trade a high round pick for him when he will most likely be a free agent next year?

Night Train
05-08-2006, 02:30 AM
Unless Marv is confident that they will get a long term deal worked out

Maybe he is. We're still well under the cap.

The Quebecer
05-08-2006, 06:53 AM
I see a lot of similarities with Shawn Alexander's situation this offseason.

Seattle agreed not to tag him again and they came to an agreement. Something like that might just happen between the Bills & NC.

justasportsfan
05-08-2006, 08:42 AM
It takes 2 to tango. I'm sure Marv would trade him for a 2nd if anyone made that that offer though and are willing to pay him top wr money. Chances are, no ones interested.

mikemac2001
05-08-2006, 08:20 PM
someone has to be maybe they want him to sign a long term deal but idk

FlyingDutchman
05-09-2006, 08:05 AM
Id definately be down for a trade. Especially if we could get a 1st rounder. He showed me last year that he is far from a shutdown corner. If he is just gonna be a headache and want money he isnt worth, than screw it. Sell high.

jamze132
05-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Has anyone considered the Bills just want to trade him now? I don't think you can trade a franchised player unless he signs his tender. If that is the case, maybe the FO told him that wouldn't tag him next year so they could get along with a trade? Just another way of thinking.

Pinkerton Security
05-09-2006, 12:16 PM
I would also not be totally against a trade if we could get a 2nd rounder. However, I think the Bills did the right thing.

As of right now, I do not really want to see McGee and Youboty out there starting on day one. Clements may be a whine-a$$ punk but he can help the team, IF he plays up to his potential.

I say we stick with him for another year. Then next year, even with our QB situation perhaps not being magically solved(!!!!!), we can focus on snagging an elite CB in the draft or in FA.

Still, if we could get a 2nd rounder for him, I'd be happy. Youboty IMO is a stud, and is going to be good, once he gets experience. Whether he will actually get starting experience this year may boil down to whether or not the Bills do trade Clements, so I guess we'll see, but I dont see them trading Clements.

Maybe we could trade him straight up for Deangelo Hall....:lol: