• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Clements topic on ESPN now.

A promise made by Buffalo Bills officials to five-year veteran Nate Clements could well turn out to be very bad news for the franchise.

Marv has shot himself in the foot. Eager to try and have him here now in an attempt I guess to 'win now' will bite us this next offseason. No way to tag him now with out pissing off potential FA's. After this if they go ahead and tag him it shows this front office wont' honor it's word and getting FA's to come here will be a tough sell.

They should have let him sit. We aren't making the playoffs this season most likely, so let him sit till week 10 then franchise him again next offseason.

I really have to wonder. I agreed with the approach to Free Agency, but drafting a backup/ Situational DT in round one, now this? I guess we will see.
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Re: Clements topic on ESPN now.

Originally posted by ICE74129
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2435562

Marv has shot himself in the foot. Eager to try and have him here now in an attempt I guess to 'win now' will bite us this next offseason. No way to tag him now with out pissing off potential FA's. After this if they go ahead and tag him it shows this front office wont' honor it's word and getting FA's to come here will be a tough sell.

They should have let him sit. We aren't making the playoffs this season most likely, so let him sit till week 10 then franchise him again next offseason.

I really have to wonder. I agreed with the approach to Free Agency, but drafting a backup/ Situational DT in round one, now this? I guess we will see.
    I made this exact same point on another thread. When you know that you are not making the playoffs why would you offer a deal that allows you to get nothing for him next year?!! We have to trade him now or we are very stupid. Hopefully this is the plan!!

Comment

• Patti120
      • Aug 2004

He's a great player on D (I know he did fall off last year but so did the entire d) and by being on the field he gives us a better chance to win.

I'm sure that's part of Marv and DJ's thinking.

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

'On paper', I agree ICE...

But we just have to wait and see how it plays out. I personally don't think Marv has much to do with these decisions, other than to OK it after he makes sure everyone, or most of the people involved are in agreement.

If I had to guess right now, I would think it means more that they are veryconfident they'll have him signed to a long term deal soon, as opposed to trading him. I don't think they'd be stupid enough to promise no FT next year just to placate him, or simply as a show of good faith.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by ICE74129
          http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2435562

Clements probably wants to see what the Bills will become in 2006 before considering signing an extension. If it's a repeat of the Mike Mullarkey clown show, he's gone. But if the Bills under Jauron show they know what they're doing, Clements might be inclined to stay.

As far as the pledge not to tag him again, I think sometimes you have to show some regard for the player to win their trust. I'm sure Levy knows having an unhappy star is bad for team morale, so if Clements wants out of Buffalo, there is no point in forcing him to stay and play. Doing it ICE's way would pretty much guarentee a lot of ill will.

Even with Whittner, Youbouty, and Simpson, there will be room for Clements in the Bills secondary. In fact, if these guys turn out to be any good, they will make Clements even better.

PTR
          10 Commandments of the D
          1. Never stop Rocking.
          2. Legalize all drugs.
          3. Quit your day job.
          4. All Religion should be taxed.
          5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
          6. F**k her gently.
          7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
          8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
          9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
          10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• eyedog
            • Jul 2002

After the stupid tag move/assurance given to Clements only one of two things now must happen.
            1. He gets traded before the season.
            or
            2. They get him signed to an extension before the season.

If neither happens, Clements is gone after 2006 and the Bills get absolutely NOTHING in return for a valuable player.

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by eyedog
              After the stupid tag move/assurance given to Clements only one of two things now must happen.
              or

If neither happens, Clements is gone after 2006 and the Bills get absolutely NOTHING in return for a valuable player.
              Agreed. Good post.

Comment

• BigGabes23
                • Mar 2006

The hardest players to Find.

Franchise QB
                Shut-down CB 1
                LT
                DE

I think they will evaluate Clements and determine if he is that shut-down corner. If he is they will pay him, if not, they will let him go. I don't think they want to have a John Abraham situation. It basically took 3 franchise tags and two years to trade him, eventually only getting a 27th overall for him.

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

did you hear clements on bb.com? he would be happy to stay here.. i think this deal puts more pressure on him to sign long term .. he knows if he doesnt have a great year, he wont get the money he wants.. he also knows he needs to sign long term to cover himself against injury.. if he blows his knee out.. he wont get much at all. he knows it and said as much.
                  "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• acehole
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                    I made this exact same point on another thread. When you know that you are not making the playoffs why would you offer a deal that allows you to get nothing for him next year?!! We have to trade him now or we are very stupid. Hopefully this is the plan!!
                    2 Reasons.

One when they made the deal the deal was for about 5.5 Mill.

Not bad for a starting cb in the NFL.

Two they did not know at the time they would draft his replacement in the third round of the draft. Hence making him now expendable.

One sure fire way to piss off fa's wanting to come here is to franchies them twice. If he has a great year...we can't afford him anyway. If he has a bad year we might be able to bring him back at a down to earth price. Maybe he is taking a wait and see as are the bills. He want to see the offense one last time to see if there is hope.

They should have transition tagged him. We would of had a chance to match...and if not gotten a pick for our troubles.
                    Hated by the stupid..
                    Loved by their moms.

Comment

• ryjam282
                      Offical Billszone Starting QB
                      • Mar 2003

Do we even know if the Bills have come out and verbally said that they told Nate they wouldn't tag him next year? I thought it was something that Nate said and 2nd, why couldn't they Transition tag him next year? They would have the opportunity to match or get a pick for him, which is a 1st rounder correct? That doesn't sound so bad....He would get what he wants, and so would we. But, I seriously doubt that anyone would give up a 1st rounder for him though.

Ryan Withey
                      Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by eyedog
                        or

You are correct!!

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by acehole
                          2 Reasons.

One when they made the deal the deal was for about 5.5 Mill.

Not bad for a starting cb in the NFL.

Two they did not know at the time they would draft his replacement in the third round of the draft. Hence making him now expendable.

One sure fire way to piss off fa's wanting to come here is to franchies them twice. If he has a great year...we can't afford him anyway. If he has a bad year we might be able to bring him back at a down to earth price. Maybe he is taking a wait and see as are the bills. He want to see the offense one last time to see if there is hope.

They should have transition tagged him. We would of had a chance to match...and if not gotten a pick for our troubles.
                          I'm not following any of your logic. We did the right thing by franchising him wether at 5mil or 7mil. The issue is giving him a free walk after this season. He will have high trade value after this season if he plays well, so why would you let him go for free?????????????

Comment

• ICE74129
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

Bottom line it was fuggin stupidity to ever say they wouldn't franchise him next year period. Stupidity.

Tell the man to play on the 7 mill this year OR don't. Either he signs long term to a reasonable deal or we tag and trade his ass next year.

If they dont tag him and he walks we will get screwed possibly two ways. If we do tag him we get screwed by pissing off future potential FA's by showing we aren't going to keep our word.

Comment

• eyedog
                              • Jul 2002

The more I think about this if I were the Bills I'd tag Nate again next year no matter what Marv told him. Then trade him and get something. Who cares what future free agents think. The way I see it is, they won't pay anyone anyhow except the lower level players who will sign with just about anyone offering a contract, so whats the difference. They have the cap money to pay Nate, so do it. What are they saving all this cap money for ? Use it on the good YOUNG players. Freaking Ralph won't ever pay for a top coach and now he is reverting back to his 70's and 80's motto of paying nobody. WTF Ralph it's not like your gonna be around another 30 yrs.

Comment

Working...
                              X