PDA

View Full Version : McCargo

ghz in pittsburgh
05-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Mark my words: he'll be the best pick for the Bills from this draft.

The reson: consistency. He's regarded as the most consistent lineman from NC State that included Williams and Lawson, and he did that 3 years in a row (until he got hurt last year).

I had a chance for some beer talk over the weekend with my friend who's associated with a scouting company based in Pittsburgh. And he told me to look up Richard Seymour's draft profile and compare it to McCargo's. Athletic ability aside, consistency (so not a one year wonder or someone motivated for a pay day), good character ( good for your team), smarts (coach-able), and hard working (never takes play off) are very important for big guys on D-Lines. McCargo seems to have it all. He does need to improve technique wise and remain focused on those techniques all game, something that can be taught at the NFL level.

Two things hurt his draft status: injury last year and being a junior. Seymour never had any major injury in college and was a senior when he's drafted in 2001. NFL likes seniors because that one year in college provided huge difference in players' maturity - something backed by strong statistics. It takes a lot of kids time to properly adjust to life and work with the kind of money and star power. Also the juniors don't get to compete at senior bowl, soemthing the scouts get to see what they might look like at the next level.

Kerr
05-08-2006, 09:27 AM
encouraging.