No Concerns About NFL's Best Secondary....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigbub2352
    • Feb 2005

No Concerns About NFL's Best Secondary....

One thing we do not have to worry about on the Bills is the secondary, We Should have the best CB tandem in the league and also have some of the most promising depth at all positions in the defensive backfeild, it breaks down like this

Nate Clements CB
    Terrance McGee CB
    Troy Vincent FS
    Donte Whitner SS

CB you have Eric King, Jabari Greer, James Bethea, Kiwakee Thomas, and Ashton Youboty
    At Saftey you have Rashard Baker, Ko Simpson, Coy Wire, Matt Bowen, Greg Corathers, and Rob Lee
    Plus UDFA that will aslo be here in competion
    In my opinion that is solid for years to come...
    XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: No Concerns About NFL's Best Secondary....

Does anyone know why we didn't sign Safety Steve Paris from Iowa St., who was originally listed among our UDFAs?
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• TigerJ
      • Jul 2002

I think Buffalo's secondary will be the strength of the defense. However, Nate Clements did not play last season up to the level that was expected of him. He'll need a bounce back season. Troy Vincent is aging and not as effective as he once was. Plus, the older he gets the more of an injury risk he becomes. Donte Whitner is going to be an excellent safety, maybe even a great one, but he could have some rookie jitters.

Buffalo's corner depth is outstanding. Safety depth is good. Rashad Baker is capable of filling in for Vincent and giving them solid play. I think Ko Simpson is a future starter, but I think he will need some time. Bowen should be a good backup for Whitner. I think the Bills secondary will actually be better in 2007 despite the likely loss of Clements. Whitner should be fully up to speed as a starter, Simpson and Youboty should be ready to start and there will be little or no dropoff from Clements, assuming he finds his money elsewhere.
      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• mysticsoto
        Too sober for this...
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
        Does anyone know why we didn't sign Safety Steve Paris from Iowa St., who was originally listed among our UDFAs?
        He went to Baltimore and signed with them. I guess either he realized, or the FO just told him that he pretty much had no chance here. Ko Simpson was probably the best Free Safety in the draft, and he will probably be starting at some point this year or next year alongside Whitner.

AMES, Iowa - Iowa State defensive back LaMarcus Hicks has signed a free agent contract with the Detroit Lions of the NFL. Safety Steve Paris has signed a free agent contract with the Baltimore Ravens, joining former Cyclone teammates Landon Schrage and Tony Yelk.

CBS Sports features live scoring, news, stats, and player info for NFL football, MLB baseball, NBA basketball, NHL hockey, college basketball and football.

Comment

• bigbub2352
          • Feb 2005

Thats interesting but i dont blame him he have a stable of young safties now
          XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
            • May 2003

Originally posted by bigbub2352
            One thing we do not have to worry about on the Bills is the secondary, We Should have the best CB tandem in the league and also have some of the most promising depth at all positions in the defensive backfeild, it breaks down like this

Nate Clements CB
            Terrance McGee CB
            Troy Vincent FS
            Donte Whitner SS

CB you have Eric King, Jabari Greer, James Bethea, Kiwakee Thomas, and Ashton Youboty
            At Saftey you have Rashard Baker, Ko Simpson, Coy Wire, Matt Bowen, Greg Corathers, and Rob Lee
            Plus UDFA that will aslo be here in competion
            In my opinion that is solid for years to come...
            One of the best secondaries in the league? C'mon man. They're good but I wouldn't go that far. This is why you people end up so disappointed. Because your expectations are unrealistic in the first place and then when the performance does not measure up to those exaggerated expectations you guys get all crazy.

No dissrespect intended but I don't get it.

Comment

• dannyek71
              Drink Responsibly
              • Dec 2004

and Im sure they will get plenty of tackles on the other teams RBs 15 yards downfield.
              [

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

They sure look promising but I wouldn't say they are going to be the best. If our DL get's ran over and can't put pressure on qb's, our cb's are eventually gonna get burned. You can only cover wr's to a certain extent.

Maybe they could bail out the DL by shutting out wr's and giving the DL time to get to the qb , but that remains to be seen.

If the DL get's pressure, then maybe we can be one of the best.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                  Maybe?
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by dannyek71
                  and Im sure they will get plenty of tackles on the other teams RBs 15 yards downfield.
                  Agreed.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                    • Feb 2005

I guess u guys never heard of a coverage sack huh, i realize that there are better players out there but as a unit who is better, and u better justify it, every corner gets burned including Champ Baily, and so does every saftey including Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu, but as a unit that is a pretty sold group with loads of potential, and also yes Clements struggle last year but name someone besides Schobel, and Fletcher that didnt, i dont have my hope up believe me, but it is nice to see us put together something that could potentially be something special that is all, I think Ko is an absolute steal and if Vince goes down him or Rashard Baker can fill in without a step, if Whitner goes down Bowen can fill admirably not alot of temas have that..
                    XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                      • Apr 2004

Actually, since Schobels sacks are largely of the coverage variety, I would say our backfield has been pretty solid for the past few years. I think we still need a true pass rusher.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                        Maybe?
                        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by andyxc71
                        Actually, since Schobels sacks are largely of the coverage variety, I would say our backfield has been pretty solid for the past few years. I think we still need a true pass rusher.
                        ...and a true run stuffer, neither of which are on this line.

Comment

• DaBillzAhDaShiznit
                          • May 2004

I'll accept that we have a solid secondary, but until I see us make some big plays, and shut some teams down in the passing game, I won't annoint them a great secondary.
                          "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
                          --Leo Durocher

Comment

• ICE74129
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                            They sure look promising but I wouldn't say they are going to be the best. If our DL get's ran over and can't put pressure on qb's, our cb's are eventually gonna get burned. You can only cover wr's to a certain extent.

Maybe they could bail out the DL by shutting out wr's and giving the DL time to get to the qb , but that remains to be seen.

If the DL get's pressure, then maybe we can be one of the best.
                            Sorry, you can have an all start secondary but as you eluded to, but with no pass rush it doesn't matter.

We drafted a backup/ situational DT in the first round. HUGE Mistake. We could have had a penetrating DT opposite tripplet in the first. The Bills decided to pass. We better hope Anderson all of a sudden becomes Warren Sapp in his prime or that great secondary will be doing nothing but run support all year.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                              Sorry, you can have an all start secondary but as you eluded to, but with no pass rush it doesn't matter.

We drafted a backup/ situational DT in the first round. HUGE Mistake. We could have had a penetrating DT opposite tripplet in the first. The Bills decided to pass. We better hope Anderson all of a sudden becomes Warren Sapp in his prime or that great secondary will be doing nothing but run support all year.
                              No offense but as far as you saying it's a HUGE mistake, I'd rather wait and see. Your opinion usually changes and it isn't fact .

You're no different from the ESPN draft guru's.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X