• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G. Host
    Banned
    • Jul 2002

Monday Morning QB on draft

5. I think Marv Levy has been catching major crappola in western New York for his actions during the draft -- some justified, some not. Levy decided to stay put at No. 8 in the first round and pick Ohio State safety Donte Whitner rather than take a lucrative offer from Denver to move down seven spots. The Broncos would have sent second- and fourth-round picks to move from No. 15 to No. 8. And Buffalo traded up into the latter part of the first round to get North Carolina State's John McCargo. Finally, Levy was criticized for passing on Matt Leinart at No. 8, because of Buffalo's shaky quarterback situation.

Levy told me, "The top defensive back in the draft for us was Donte Whitner. We heard rumblings there were teams very close behind us who wanted him. Yes, we could have moved down, but it would have been a risk. Why move down when you identified the guy you want and you can sit there and get him? He's tailor-made for everything we do on defense. What if in the process of moving down you don't get the guy you want?"
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: Monday Morning QB on draft

Hindsight is always 20/20. But King is probably correct that we could have done the Denver deal and still gotten Whitner.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

I'm not sold on this draft yet, but I support the decision to pass on Leinart 100%. Anyone who thinks he would have been a good pick for Buffalo just doesn't get it.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• McGahee420
        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
        I'm not sold on this draft yet, but I support the decision to pass on Leinart 100%. Anyone who thinks he would have been a good pick for Buffalo just doesn't get it.

I agree 100% too. Leinart is good, but he would be coming to a cold atmosphere where you need a strong arm to play.

West Virginia Mountaineers- Sugar Bowl Champions!!!!!

The Dick era has begun!

"I just want one before I die"

Comment

• dannyek71
          Drink Responsibly
          • Dec 2004

What about drafting Leinhart and trading him to the highest bidder?
          [

Comment

• dolphan117
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by G. Host
            http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....number/3.html
            5. I think Marv Levy has been catching major crappola in western New York for his actions during the draft -- some justified, some not. Levy decided to stay put at No. 8 in the first round and pick Ohio State safety Donte Whitner rather than take a lucrative offer from Denver to move down seven spots. The Broncos would have sent second- and fourth-round picks to move from No. 15 to No. 8. And Buffalo traded up into the latter part of the first round to get North Carolina State's John McCargo. Finally, Levy was criticized for passing on Matt Leinart at No. 8, because of Buffalo's shaky quarterback situation.

Levy told me, "The top defensive back in the draft for us was Donte Whitner. We heard rumblings there were teams very close behind us who wanted him. Yes, we could have moved down, but it would have been a risk. Why move down when you identified the guy you want and you can sit there and get him? He's tailor-made for everything we do on defense. What if in the process of moving down you don't get the guy you want?"
            And here is the rest of what he said-
            Here's where I disagree. I think the only team that was a threat to take Whitner in the top half of the first round was Baltimore, and the Ravens were clear in their intentions that if Haloti Ngata of Oregon was there at No. 12, he'd be their man. As I said last week, one personnel man told me there was a 95 percent chance Whitner would have been there at 15 had Buffalo not chosen him eighth overall.
            Now, on the McCargo and Leinart issues, I think Levy's right. The Bills need to give J.P. Losman a chance to be the quarterback of this team; you cloud the issue by taking Leinart and throwing Losman to the curb.
            McCargo's a very good player and clearly was the best interior defensive lineman entering the late first round. "After McCargo, there was a huge dropoff in grades to the next man,'' Levy said. "There's no way we would have gotten him had we stayed where we were in the second round."

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
              Maybe?
              • Oct 2003

The problem is that he was focused on the defense when clearly the offensive line is what will make this team sub 500 again this year.

Comment

• acehole
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                Hindsight is always 20/20. But King is probably correct that we could have done the Denver deal and still gotten Whitner.
                And how does one stop Miami from trading above us to get him?
                Hated by the stupid..
                Loved by their moms.

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
                  • May 2003

Amen brutha. I am absolutely sick of hearing that **** already.

Comment

• tat2dmike77
                    Let the planet get warmer. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
                    • Dec 2005

Leinart would of caused a riot if he was picked

Anthor first round blunder if he were to come to buffalo. Let AZ try to deal with him.

Comment

• Gunzlingr
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by acehole
                      ...Or Detroit, who I read were very interested in him.
                      You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• ICE74129
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

Bottom line Marv should have taken the trade. We would have added a 2nd rounder and kept a needed 3rd rounder and gained another 4th rounder.

Marv drafted a guy that had better be an immediate impact at SS and a guy that will be a rotational BACKUP behind Tripplet. Not a good first round.

Trade down would have been the best option.

Comment

• dolphan117
                          • Dec 2005

You don't, its been reported in Miami that Allen was the number 2 DB on our board after Huff. Not surprising since Saban has an extensive history with Allen whose doctor has said unequivocal doesn't have a degenerative condition in his hip.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                            Bottom line Marv should have taken the trade. We would have added a 2nd rounder and kept a needed 3rd rounder and gained another 4th rounder.

Marv drafted a guy that had better be an immediate impact at SS and a guy that will be a rotational BACKUP behind Tripplet. Not a good first round.

Trade down would have been the best option.
                            Alrighty Mr. OL coach/OC/GM.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• PhinsOwnYou
                              • May 2006

A few things

1- We didnt have the picks and we wouldnt give up a 3rd

2- I cant speak for the orginization, but most fans didnt want Whitner all that badly or feel he fit the team

Comment

Working...
                              X