PDA

View Full Version : Monday Morning QB on draft

G. Host
05-08-2006, 10:42 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/05/08/bush.number/3.html
5. I think Marv Levy has been catching major crappola in western New York for his actions during the draft -- some justified, some not. Levy decided to stay put at No. 8 in the first round and pick Ohio State safety Donte Whitner rather than take a lucrative offer from Denver to move down seven spots. The Broncos would have sent second- and fourth-round picks to move from No. 15 to No. 8. And Buffalo traded up into the latter part of the first round to get North Carolina State's John McCargo. Finally, Levy was criticized for passing on Matt Leinart at No. 8, because of Buffalo's shaky quarterback situation.

Levy told me, "The top defensive back in the draft for us was Donte Whitner. We heard rumblings there were teams very close behind us who wanted him. Yes, we could have moved down, but it would have been a risk. Why move down when you identified the guy you want and you can sit there and get him? He's tailor-made for everything we do on defense. What if in the process of moving down you don't get the guy you want?"

Jan Reimers
05-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Hindsight is always 20/20. But King is probably correct that we could have done the Denver deal and still gotten Whitner.

OpIv37
05-08-2006, 11:16 AM
I'm not sold on this draft yet, but I support the decision to pass on Leinart 100%. Anyone who thinks he would have been a good pick for Buffalo just doesn't get it.

McGahee420
05-08-2006, 12:15 PM
I'm not sold on this draft yet, but I support the decision to pass on Leinart 100%. Anyone who thinks he would have been a good pick for Buffalo just doesn't get it.

I agree 100% too. Leinart is good, but he would be coming to a cold atmosphere where you need a strong arm to play.

dannyek71
05-08-2006, 12:34 PM

What about drafting Leinhart and trading him to the highest bidder?

dolphan117
05-08-2006, 12:53 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/05/08/bush.number/3.html
5. I think Marv Levy has been catching major crappola in western New York for his actions during the draft -- some justified, some not. Levy decided to stay put at No. 8 in the first round and pick Ohio State safety Donte Whitner rather than take a lucrative offer from Denver to move down seven spots. The Broncos would have sent second- and fourth-round picks to move from No. 15 to No. 8. And Buffalo traded up into the latter part of the first round to get North Carolina State's John McCargo. Finally, Levy was criticized for passing on Matt Leinart at No. 8, because of Buffalo's shaky quarterback situation.

Levy told me, "The top defensive back in the draft for us was Donte Whitner. We heard rumblings there were teams very close behind us who wanted him. Yes, we could have moved down, but it would have been a risk. Why move down when you identified the guy you want and you can sit there and get him? He's tailor-made for everything we do on defense. What if in the process of moving down you don't get the guy you want?"

And here is the rest of what he said-

Here's where I disagree. I think the only team that was a threat to take Whitner in the top half of the first round was Baltimore, and the Ravens were clear in their intentions that if Haloti Ngata of Oregon was there at No. 12, he'd be their man. As I said last week, one personnel man told me there was a 95 percent chance Whitner would have been there at 15 had Buffalo not chosen him eighth overall.
Now, on the McCargo and Leinart issues, I think Levy's right. The Bills need to give J.P. Losman a chance to be the quarterback of this team; you cloud the issue by taking Leinart and throwing Losman to the curb.
McCargo's a very good player and clearly was the best interior defensive lineman entering the late first round. "After McCargo, there was a huge dropoff in grades to the next man,'' Levy said. "There's no way we would have gotten him had we stayed where we were in the second round."

Mr. Cynical
05-08-2006, 01:41 PM
The problem is that he was focused on the defense when clearly the offensive line is what will make this team sub 500 again this year.

acehole
05-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Hindsight is always 20/20. But King is probably correct that we could have done the Denver deal and still gotten Whitner.

And how does one stop Miami from trading above us to get him?

Drive 4 Five
05-08-2006, 01:48 PM

Amen brutha. I am absolutely sick of hearing that **** already.

tat2dmike77
05-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Leinart would of caused a riot if he was picked

Anthor first round blunder if he were to come to buffalo. Let AZ try to deal with him.

Gunzlingr
05-08-2006, 01:52 PM

...Or Detroit, who I read were very interested in him.

ICE74129
05-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Bottom line Marv should have taken the trade. We would have added a 2nd rounder and kept a needed 3rd rounder and gained another 4th rounder.

Marv drafted a guy that had better be an immediate impact at SS and a guy that will be a rotational BACKUP behind Tripplet. Not a good first round.

Trade down would have been the best option.

dolphan117
05-08-2006, 03:29 PM
And how does one stop Miami from trading above us to get him?You don't, its been reported in Miami that Allen was the number 2 DB on our board after Huff. Not surprising since Saban has an extensive history with Allen whose doctor has said unequivocal doesn't have a degenerative condition in his hip.

justasportsfan
05-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Bottom line Marv should have taken the trade. We would have added a 2nd rounder and kept a needed 3rd rounder and gained another 4th rounder.

Marv drafted a guy that had better be an immediate impact at SS and a guy that will be a rotational BACKUP behind Tripplet. Not a good first round.

Trade down would have been the best option.Alrighty Mr. OL coach/OC/GM.

PhinsOwnYou
05-08-2006, 03:41 PM

A few things

1- We didnt have the picks and we wouldnt give up a 3rd

2- I cant speak for the orginization, but most fans didnt want Whitner all that badly or feel he fit the team

SquishDaFish
05-08-2006, 03:58 PM
How do you know what Miami would of done?? You have wealthy people in high places too??

dolphan117
05-08-2006, 03:58 PM
A few things

1- We didnt have the picks and we wouldnt give up a 3rd

2- I cant speak for the orginization, but most fans didnt want Whitner all that badly or feel he fit the team
Well based on what Saban said in his draft PC I think its pretty clear that Saban had no plans of moving up for Whitner. He said he did consider moving up but only for a big man. And then like I said its been reported that Allen was the number 2 CB on our board.

PhinsOwnYou
05-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Well based on what Saban said in his draft PC I think its pretty clear that Saban had no plans of moving up for Whitner. He said he did consider moving up but only for a big man. And then like I said its been reported that Allen was the number 2 CB on our board.

Exactly, I think Allen was a good pick, especially if he is 100% healthy like they say he is. Id take him over Whitner if they are bother healthy

Mr. Miyagi
05-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Exactly, I think Allen was a good pick, especially if he is 100% healthy like they say he is. Id take him over Whitner if they are bother healthy
Of course you would. No one ever says "my girlfriend is butt ugly."

SquishDaFish
05-08-2006, 04:12 PM
IF they are bother??? Healthy. hmm ok lol

dolphan117
05-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Of course you would. No one ever says "my girlfriend is butt ugly."Like I said his doctor has expressly said the hip isn't degenerative.

There were Internet reports that several teams did not clear Allen medically before the draft. There was even a report he had a degenerative hip condition.
To alleviate concerns, Allen's agent, Mitch Frankel, brought Dr. Marc Philippon to the NFL combine to give teams a report on the player's condition. That didn't stop teams from calling about it until the night before the draft. For the record, Frankel said there is no degenerative condition.
"I think 20 years from now he may have some arthritis from it," Frankel said. "But there's no degenerative effect on his football career or his ability to play. My understanding is he's at the same risk as you are."
Link (http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060507/SPORTS/605070338/1002) Its near the end. Remember too here that this isn't Saban saying "Yeah sure he is fine." This is a doctor putting his reputation on the line. If he was unsure it would have been more along the lines of "We think there is a very low risk of any degenerative condition blah blah blah." To flatly say there is no degenerative condition and no greater risk of injury than anyone else while on record is about as clear as any doctor can clear a player.

So yes I would take him over Whitner.

Don't Panic
05-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Whitner will be a better pro than Allen IMO, but what do I know. Hard to argue with the 2nd/3rd/4th we might have had if we had shown a little more insight into what other teams were doing and traded accordingly. I will now say (after a lot of hedging the other way) that Whitner may not have been there at #15. In that case, I suppose you could justify him at #8. However, no one is ever, EVER going to justify trading up for McCagro. That was, and always will be (no matter how good he gets), an error in judgement that cost us a developmental OT. So be it, though. Evevry other pick is very difficult to debate, hence the conclusion that this was a pretty good draft.