BILLS' "PROMISE" TO CLEMENTS A CBA VIOLATION?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

BILLS' "PROMISE" TO CLEMENTS A CBA VIOLATION?

Buffalo Bills' cornerback Nate Clements recently signed his one-year franchise tender with the team. In return, the team promised not to use the franchise tag on Clements in 2007.

But it occurred to us on Monday that any unwritten side promise to a player could potentially be a violation of the CBA.

League insiders have explained to us in the past that all compensation and/or any other items of "value" must be given by NFL teams to players pursuant only to the terms of the CBA, which among other things requires all agreements between a club and a player to be in writing. An unwritten promise to a player that his hands won't be tied again when the money starts to flow in March 2007 surely is something of significant value to Clements, and thus is something that should be reduced to writing.

Find all the latest ProFootballTalk news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • ryjam282
    Offical Billszone Starting QB
    • Mar 2003

Re: BILLS' "PROMISE" TO CLEMENTS A CBA VIOLATION?

I think this is being blown out of proportion. I seriously doubt the only reason he signed his tender was cause they said they wouldn't use it again next year. And, if they did then he is an idiot for taking the deal without getting it in writing, and how do we know that he doesn't possess something that says just that in writing? We shall see if Nate is worth the cash he wants but I don' think in this type of D he will command the type of cash he covets. This D is very highly reliant on the safeties and there speed to get from the hash to the sidelines. See Mike Brown the last few years in the same type of D. Sure, corners can make an impact but usually not right off the bat. We shall see though.

Ryan Withey
    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
      • Mar 2004

Pure speculation. Does he know for a fact that the promise is NOT in writing?

Comment

• Mitchy moo
        Roways rooking ahread!
        • Sep 2005

I think Nate needs a great year just to get his "Big Contract". After last year if you said I played for the Buffalo Bills on Defense they would be like umm, no thanks.

Comment

• dolphan117
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
          Pure speculation. Does he know for a fact that the promise is NOT in writing?
          That would be my question. Last year there were a couple players who signed one year deals for the exact same money as the tender with a clause in the contract that said the team couldn't use a tender on them the following year. I don't remember who the players were though.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ryjam282
            I think this is being blown out of proportion. I seriously doubt the only reason he signed his tender was cause they said they wouldn't use it again next year.
            I disagree completely. Nate is a VERY selfish player and he wants his huge payday- he won't get it as long as the Bills keep using a franchise tag on him. It would not suprise me at all that he only signed with the condition that he could play the FA market.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
              I disagree completely. Nate is a VERY selfish player and he wants his huge payday- he won't get it as long as the Bills keep using a franchise tag on him. It would not suprise me at all that he only signed with the condition that he could play the FA market.
              I agree. Nate is concerned only about how much Nate can make in FA next year. the only reason he's "happy" right now is b/c he knows that he gets this season to redeem his performance from last year and guarantee that he can get the contract he wants in FA next offseason.
              Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

If the agreement is in writing Marv is a complete fool. Even making the agreement verbal was pure stupidity.

Sign the deal, dont' sign it. Either way your ass gets tagged next year should have been the Bills stance.

This is going to bite us in the but, just watch.

That said I hope it is a CBA violation and we get fined for it. Then maybe Ralph and marv would wake up from that fog they apper to walking around in. Money is the only thing that wakes ol Ralph up these days :-)

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                  If the agreement is in writing Marv is a complete fool. Even making the agreement verbal was pure stupidity.

Sign the deal, dont' sign it. Either way your ass gets tagged next year should have been the Bills stance.

That said I hope it is a CBA violation and we get fined for it. Then maybe Ralph and marv would wake up from that fog they apper to walking around in. Money is the only thing that wakes ol Ralph up these days :-)
                  and his support for Marv continues...... to change from time to time.
                  sacrifice1

Comment

• Stewie
                    Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                    • Aug 2002

blah blah lets lay some motha huckas out, Nate. And swat the damn ball.
                    Originally posted by Topdog
                    Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                    Originally posted by mercyrule
                    I love Weiner.
                    Originally posted by mercyrule
                    also cheese

Comment

• ICE74129
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                      and his support for Marv continues...... to change from time to time.
                      Are you incapable of getting it? It seems so. I agreed with FA, Disagree with the Draft and this dumb assed move. To me marv is undoing all he tried to do in FA with a possibly stupid draft and this dumb move that can hurt us next year with clements

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Are you incapable of getting it? It seems so. I agreed with FA, Disagree with the Draft and this dumb assed move. To me marv is undoing all he tried to do in FA with a possibly stupid draft and this dumb move that can hurt us next year with clements
                        exactly, Marv only get's it as long as he shares your opinion? Haha!. Sure, we get it. You're a GM too.
                        sacrifice1

Comment

• BillsFever21
                          • Aug 2004

Nate is the clear cut top CB on the market next season. He is gonna get paid. The Bills know it and Nate knows it.

Comment

• G. Host
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                            League insiders have explained to us
                            The only insiders who speak to PFTrash are the janitors and only when they pay them.

Comment

• Statman
                              • Oct 2003

I don't know why they felt the need to keep the tag on him after the draft anyway. The team should have just started Youboty in his place and McGee, King, or Greer on the other side.

No one's under any delusions that we are going to the playoffs this year, so we may as well have given the draftees some playing time.
                              Facts speak louder than opinions

Comment

Working...
                              X