PDA

View Full Version : Folks, we got no big names in the draft....

Mitchy moo
05-08-2006, 02:35 PM
I really hope the guys we drafted turn out to be great. This draft was really well watched and tracked and it went nothing like people had planned. The Bills had more than their share of picks and got no big names. I am not saying that is bad but usually the "big" names have a reason they are drafted higher. I hope Marv pulled a sneaker, grabbed everyone he wanted and they work out. Here's to hoping.

Mr. Miyagi
05-08-2006, 02:50 PM
"Big" names such as Winston Justice? Marcus Vick? LenDale White?

No thanks.

Mitchy moo
05-08-2006, 03:04 PM

No thanks.

We had a shot at some people that I feel are going to be very talented. The 3 you posted were DOA to start.

Gunzlingr
05-08-2006, 03:05 PM

No thanks.

No, he was interested in guys named Mandarich, Emtman, Blackledge, etc.

PhinsOwnYou
05-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Whitner is a good pick but you guys reached a little on him....

Not to mention you picked what 90% of teams and Mel Kiper thought was a 3rd or 4th round DT in the late first.....

Drive 4 Five
05-08-2006, 03:12 PM

Not to mention you picked what 90% of teams and Mel Kiper thought was a 3rd or 4th round DT in the late first.....

90% of teams though. How do you figure?

PhinsOwnYou
05-08-2006, 03:15 PM
90% of teams though. How do you figure?

Well according to Kiper most teams had him in the third or 4th and so did he, maybe 90% was to much, it could mean anywhere between 51% and 99% so I'll say 65%

I would have taken Bunkly with the first pick, because there were more quality Corners and Safetys in the draft than DT's

Michael82
05-08-2006, 03:21 PM
So? :yawn:

justasportsfan
05-08-2006, 03:31 PM
I don't know about that skoobs. McCARGO sounds like a huge name compared to McPackage.

Unless a big name is supposed to sound like Kiwanuka or some other name we can't spell.

Sportsuser101
05-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Well according to Kiper most teams had him in the third or 4th and so did he, maybe 90% was to much, it could mean anywhere between 51% and 99% so I'll say 65%

I would have taken Bunkly with the first pick, because there were more quality Corners and Safetys in the draft than DT's

Really? Hmm.. well when he becomes a very good DT those "teams" will look like idiots.

PhinsOwnYou
05-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Really? Hmm.. well when he becomes a very good DT those "teams" will look like idiots.

Yeah but that doesnt make it a good pick

Id rather have Rod Wright in the 7th round who was supposed to be a first rounder, but it was found out he had a shoulder injury that needed surgery and slipped into the 7th, if he becomes a good DT then the Dolphins come out a winner....

If anyone unexpectedly turns into anything on any team then the other teams look stupid

Mitchy moo
05-08-2006, 03:37 PM
I don't know about that skoobs. McCARGO sounds like a huge name compared to McPackage.

Unless a big name is supposed to sound like Kiwanuka or some other name we can't spell.

You are the first person to get what I was saying, lol.

AndreReed83
05-08-2006, 03:44 PM
I remember Kiper saying HE had McCargo ranked as a 3rd rounder. It wasn't until later that it came out that some NFL teams had McCargo as a mid 2nd. And we now know that other NFL teams, like the Giants, had him as a late 1st.

Last I remember, NFL teams > Kiper

justasportsfan
05-08-2006, 03:44 PM
You are the first person to get what I was saying, lol. No one freaking dare say we think alike.

THATHURMANATOR
05-08-2006, 03:45 PM

where do you get that info on Mcargo? Everything I read was 2nd round for sure but was moving into the late first as the draft was getting closer.

justasportsfan
05-08-2006, 03:46 PM

Id rather have Rod Wright in the 7th round who was supposed to be a first rounder, but it was found out he had a shoulder injury that needed surgery and slipped into the 7th, if he becomes a good DT then the Dolphins come out a winner....

If anyone unexpectedly turns into anything on any team then the other teams look stupidOh cmon, don't be bashful. You meant you'd rather have a Jason Allen who was a top 10 but ended up in the mid first because of an injury. Say it. We know how finfans are :D.

PhinsOwnYou
05-08-2006, 03:46 PM
where do you get that info on Mcargo? Everything I read was 2nd round for sure but was moving into the late first as the draft was getting closer.

Straight out of Kipers mouth during the draft

A few teams had him as an early second

Most had him as a 3rd and he had him as a 3rd/4th

justasportsfan
05-08-2006, 03:47 PM
where do you get that info on Mcargo? . A very reliable source. ESPN. :up:

Jan Reimers
05-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Here's my question: Why would anyone in their right mind give a flying crap about what Mel Kiper, Jr. thinks?

PhinsOwnYou
05-08-2006, 03:52 PM
A very reliable source. ESPN. :up:

Its just as reliable as what GM's say

Everything around the time of the draft is a smokescreen by coaches and orginizations, I trust Mel Kiper more than Good Ole Marv when it comes to drafting....

In a radio interview Marv called him 'Max Leinart'

SquishDaFish
05-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Kiper is the only one had him as late 2nd to 3rd rounder. And the Giants let it be known that they were thinking of taking him in late 1st. So PhinsBlowYou you dont know what your talking about. We took all high character and need area talent. Buffalo did real well in this draft and I have to agree with most of the grades from the experts of a B to B+. By the way The Dolfags have grades of anywhere from a D- to a C.

Mr. Miyagi
05-08-2006, 03:53 PM

The Giants GM said they were going to draft McCargo with the 32nd overall pick, had we not jumped in front of them to take him.

I'd think the mouth of the Giants GM is a bit more reliable than the mouth of Mel Kiper?

SquishDaFish
05-08-2006, 03:54 PM
You trust Mel Kiper over a well respected football man in Marv Levy?? Give me a break lol. Theres a reason why hes working for a football team and Kiper is holding jocks. Let Kiper run the dolfags then LMAO. Jesus that had to be the dumbest thing said on this board in months hahaha.

Jan Reimers
05-08-2006, 03:55 PM

Everything around the time of the draft is a smokescreen by coaches and orginizations, I trust Mel Kiper more than Good Ole Marv when it comes to drafting....

I'm sorry, what is Kiper's background as an NFL scout, coach, personnel director and GM again?

AndreReed83
05-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Kiper is no different then any other yahoo who predicts the draft. He's no different then me or anyone else here. He just happens to be ESPN's draft guy. Every sports website has a draft guy. I'll take the word of a GM anyday over Kiper.

justasportsfan
05-08-2006, 03:58 PM

In a radio interview Marv called him 'Max Leinart'you're telling me that Kiper knows more about football than the Coach that owns Don Shula's a$$ ? Really funny finfan. Hope you're not representing your fanbase. That's really a screwed up logic.

SquishDaFish
05-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Right Justa LMAO

PhinsOwnYou
05-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Kiper is the only one had him as late 2nd to 3rd rounder. And the Giants let it be known that they were thinking of taking him in late 1st. So PhinsBlowYou you dont know what your talking about. We took all high character and need area talent. Buffalo did real well in this draft and I have to agree with most of the grades from the experts of a B to B+. By the way The Dolfags have grades of anywhere from a D- to a C.

I havnt seen anywhere with the Bills draft graded a B

I havnt seen anywhere with the Dolphins draft rated a D

If you think Mcargo was a good pick more power to you, but its gonna be great rushing for 200 yards every game against the Bills if he starts

Allen, Culpepper, Hagan, Toledo, Manny Wright, Lemon, Evans, Rod Wright, and that WR from Auburn with the LONG name

Those are the results of all our picks, you would be stupid to give that a D

PhinsOwnYou
05-08-2006, 04:03 PM
you're telling me that Kiper knows more about football than the Coach that owns Don Shula's a$$ ? Really funny finfan. Hope you're not representing your fanbase. That's really a screwed up logic.

Shula has rings though

How many superbowls did Marv win.....oh yeah 0

SquishDaFish
05-08-2006, 04:05 PM
In your lifetime??

SquishDaFish
05-08-2006, 04:06 PM
If your RBS are all on drugs how are they going to rush for 200 yds?? Chasing a crackpipe down the sidelines???

PhinsOwnYou
05-08-2006, 04:09 PM
If your RBS are all on drugs how are they going to rush for 200 yds?? Chasing a crackpipe down the sidelines???

1- Ricky didnt test positive for a 'drug' he used a suppliment with a banned substance in it according to the league

2- Ronnie Brown isnt on drugs and Id rather have him than Ricky now anyway

Oh and to your post before

Have the Bills won a SB in your lifetime.....haha scratch that, they havnt won one in anyones lifetime

SquishDaFish
05-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Big deal. There is no team EVEr EVER that will play in 4 straight SBS including your crap team down there in crackVille.

Saratoga Slim
05-08-2006, 04:13 PM

I'm actually glad to hear that. that paris-hilton humping m-fer needs to be brought down a notch. I'm glad none of OUR draft picks had a post-draft gala at Caesar's Palace.

Mr. Miyagi
Shula has rings though

How many superbowls did Marv win.....oh yeah 0
Not with Marino he didn't.

Mitchy moo
Big deal. There is no team EVEr EVER that will play in 4 straight SBS including your crap team down there in crackVille.

Well the Trailer parkers down there play a game called SB but it involves all their women and it gets a bit messy.

SquishDaFish
05-08-2006, 04:15 PM
No thats IB you know IN BREEDING LOL. PhinsOwnCrack knows about that. lol

Mitchy moo
05-08-2006, 04:20 PM
You know you're trailer trash when.....

1. The Halloween pumpkin on your porch has more teeth than your spouse.

2. You let your twelve-year-old daughter smoke at the dinner table in front of her kids.

3. You've been married three times and still have the same in-laws.

4. You think a woman who is "out of your league" bowls on a different night.

5. Jack Daniels makes your list of "most admired people."

6. You wonder how service stations keep their restrooms so clean.

7. Anyone in your family ever died right after saying, "Hey watch this."

8. You think Dom Perignon is a Mafia leader.

9. Your wife's hairdo was once ruined by a ceiling fan.

10. Your junior prom had a daycare.

11. You think the last words of the Star Spangled Banner are, "Gentlemen start your engines."

12. You lit a match in the bathroom and your house exploded right off its wheels.

13. The bluebook value of your truck goes up and down,depending on how much gas is in it.

14. You have to go outside to get something from the fridge.

15. One of your kids was born on a pool table.

16. You need one more hole punched in your card to get a freebie at the House of Tattoos.

17. You can't get married to your sweetheart because there's a law against it.

18. You think loading a dishwasher means getting your wife drunk.

19. Your toilet paper has page numbers on it.

20 . Your front porch collapses and kills more than five dogs.

Mitchy moo
05-08-2006, 04:24 PM
No thats IB you know IN BREEDING LOL. PhinsOwnCrack knows about that. lol

(http://www.thisoltrailer.com/)http://www.drbukk.com/images/tpboys.jpg (http://www.cbc.ca/arts/features/trailerpark/)

Night Train
05-08-2006, 04:26 PM

So you take the opionion of media guys who watch no college football over professional scouts who watch them every week and work them out for a living.?

Good God. Do you realize how credible you are at this moment ?

justasportsfan
05-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Shula has rings though

How many superbowls did Marv win.....oh yeah 0 it's got nothing to do w/ the rings, Marv is a HOF coach and what is kiper?

TigerJ
05-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Mel Kiper is interesting to read because he at least gives fans something to chew on leading up to the draft. He is not and never has been infallible. Neither has any GM ever been infallable. The most Kiper can say after the draft is, "I didn't have him rated so highly. So what. He's entitled to his opinion. He had an opinion about Ryan Leaf once. He had an opinion about Wisnton Justice and a few other "name" players in this draft. He could turn out to be right about Whitner and McCargo, but he could just as easily be dead wrong.

On thing I think is important to remember. Buffalo is going to change to a defense that makes very specific demands of its DTs. McCargo, in the opinion of the Bills brain trust is exactly what is needed in a Tampa Cover 2. He might only be worth a fourth round pick in Miami's defense. So what? Likewise, the Bills feel Whitner is a perfect fit at strong safety for the Tampa Cover 2. Dallas makes different demands of their safety so a big guy like Roy Williams makes more sensse for them. It's not just about best player available. In today's NFL the player has to be a fit for what you're trying to do.

I'm very happy with what the Bills did. I donh't care that they didn't have any "big name" guys. We had a GM named Tom Donahoe who had a knack for making a splash on draft day. Somehow that failed to carry over into success during the season. Maybe steady and carefully is the way to win the race.

Jeff Mullens of NFLAnswers.com (http://www.nflanswers.com/article.php?story=20060502143118382) rates the Bills draft a B- He gives the Dolphins a C

ESPN Sportsnation has a list of ten sources who give draft grades. Buffalo's grades range form a B+ from Dan Pompeii to an F from ESPNSportsnation. Miami gets Bs and Cs from everyone.
http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?id=2431855

Foxsports gave both Buffalo and Miami Cs
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5562708

Ken Trembley of NFL draft class gave Buffalo a D and Miami a C.
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=99513&page=3
BTW I found his explanation incredibly short sighted and stupid. He clearly did very little research on what the Bills problems were last season and what the Bills have done in free agency.

Lexwhat
05-09-2006, 02:41 AM
Here's my question: Why would anyone in their right mind give a flying crap about what Mel Kiper, Jr. thinks?

Personally, I would trust Mel Kiper Sr. more than his lame ass...

God rest his soul...

Lexwhat
05-09-2006, 02:41 AM
Personally, I would trust Mel Kiper Sr. more than his lame ass...

God rest his soul...

Just kidding.

YardRat
05-09-2006, 05:58 AM
I don't care whether or not a guy has a 'big name' coming out of college. I only care that he makes himself a 'big name' in the pros.

Tinboy
05-09-2006, 06:52 AM
I really hope the bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

:snooze: :snooze: :snooze:

Give a rest man...

Mad Bomber
05-09-2006, 09:11 AM
Who cares what Mel Kiper says?

Remember what he said about Mike Williams a few years ago?

"Williams enters the draft as a shoo-in to be an NFL impact player."

I don't see why so many people take his word as gospel.

jamze132
05-09-2006, 09:23 AM

Who gives a flying shlt what Kiper thinks? All we here is Kiper this and Kiper that. Kiper is a tool. and it doesn't surpise me that Dolphin fans adore him.

BuffaloBillsStampede
05-09-2006, 09:36 AM
I don't see the great dolphins draft that this guy does either. Jason Allen is an injury waiting to happen, Cullpepper wont be ready for about a month into the season most likely, and with Joey Harrington running the show you do the math, the rest of your draft except for Rod Wright (who is very questionable in my opinion after watching him this year) is nothing spectacular. I dont see value like Youboty, Simpson, and Williams in there. When Donte Whitner smacks Joey or Daunte in the mouth this season then come back and tell me we reached on him.

ublinkwescore
05-09-2006, 10:10 AM
you're telling me that Kiper knows more about football than the Coach that owns Don Shula's a$$ ? Really funny finfan. Hope you're not representing your fanbase. That's really a screwed up logic.

Too bad I can't pos you pal...

Mitchy moo
05-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Too bad I can't pos you pal...

I'm not going to be able to pos rep anybody for a while myself.

ublinkwescore
05-09-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm kinda like Disco styles - I make comebacks every now and then.

HotRod
05-09-2006, 11:21 AM

We could always call him the "Big K". :)

Mitchy moo
05-09-2006, 11:36 AM

Or Special K from the drug scene.

Sportsuser101
05-09-2006, 06:13 PM

If anyone unexpectedly turns into anything on any team then the other teams look stupid

Basically every "expert" had Wright as a 1st day pick and yet he ended up a 7th round pick. Some "experts" thought McCargo was a late 1st rounder to a late 3rd rounder. I could give 2 *****s what the "experts" say. I trust my judgement and in turn trust the judgement of Levy and company.

It is very annoying to see everyone follow the boat of the Bills reaching and Wright etc being steals but if Wright etc were so talented they wouldn't be steals, they would up there in the 1st day at least. And if McCargo wasn't talented then he certainly wouldn't be considered a 1st round pick by a few teams. Lets just watch them play for a few years before we call them steals and reaches.

Last time I checked Dwight Freeney was a reach and he is arguably the best defensive end in the draft. And remember when Kenny Peterson was a steal for the Packers in the 3rd round? Or how about Hawthorne to the Raiders was an absolute robbery last year in the 7th? Antonio Bryant a steal in the 2nd round? Marquis Walker was an absolute steal to the Bucs a few years ago in the 3rd correct? I can go on for weeks.

I'm not an "expert" by any means but thats not a bad thing. I think I know football and watch plenty of college football and take a look at scouting reports from several sources.

I had McCargo as my 2nd best DT behind Ngata (who I had as the 2nd best defensive player in the drafted behind Williams). Bunkley hasn't proven anything to me and don't think he will be a succesful pro. I had Whitner as the best pure safety in the draft and just a notch below Huff as far as the best defensive back in the draft. Would I have liked Ngata? Absolutely and I was disappointed we didn't but I waited and sure enough we traded up and grabbed my 2nd rated DT. We then grabbed Youboty who I had as a 1st round grade and the 3rd rated corner in the draft behind Huff and Jimmy Williams. Still trying to figure out why he didn't go higher. Simpson I had as the 2nd rated safety behind Whitner. I guess the non big time speed was a downer but in our system we don't really need a big time guy even though he runs a 4.45 40. His age probably lowered a notch on some teams boards. Kyle Williams I had as the 7th best DT in the draft. Ngata, McCargo, Bunkley, Wroten, Watson, and Wright ahead of him. I think he has everything you look for except the size but its not like he's playing NT. He outplayed Wroten alot last year. I see the Hovan comparisons too. The other guys I didn't rate but Nance I did as the 5th rated WR behind Holmes, Stovall, Moss, Jackson and Demetrius Williams. So overall I love our draft based on what I've seen and read ahead of time. I do this every year because everyone tends to be biased after a team makes it picks. I do this so I can't use that.

AndreReed83
05-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Who cares what Mel Kiper says?

Remember what he said about Mike Williams a few years ago?

"Williams enters the draft as a shoo-in to be an NFL impact player."

I don't see why so many people take his word as gospel.

A few of the Bills QBs felt Big Mike's "impact" many many times.

Cntrygal
05-10-2006, 06:19 PM

Or Special K from the drug scene.

:rofl:

A few of the Bills QBs felt Big Mike's "impact" many many times.

:ill:

Mitchy moo
05-12-2006, 07:17 AM
:rofl:

:ill:

Hey CG, how you been doing?