PDA

View Full Version : It's Official! Spikes is Tagged and Pissed!

Michael82
02-11-2003, 04:33 PM
http://www.bengals.com/press/news.asp?iCurPage=0&news_id=1695#cont

The Bengals have made linebacker Takeo Spikes a transition free agent with a one-year offer of $4.8 million, but he doesn’t understand why because he is unhappy in Cincinnati.

“The tag is something they’re using to keep me there even though I’m not happy and I don’t understand it,” Spikes said Tuesday from Atlanta.

The Bengals and Spikes now seem to be officially at an impasse. He has given no signal that he plans to sign the deal and all appearances are he seeks free agency even though Cincinnati now has secured the right to match any bid with Tuesday’s offer.

Michael82
02-11-2003, 04:36 PM
This right here is what makes me excited and pumped.....

"The Bengals and Spikes’ agent, Todd France, have had virtually no talks about a long-term deal, which the Bengals seek because it lowers the salary cap number for 2003 from $4.8 million."

venis2k1
02-11-2003, 04:48 PM
Good news...

Shiny Chicken
02-11-2003, 04:53 PM
why is this good news?

Billz_fan
02-11-2003, 04:55 PM
Finally some kind of movement. Been a horrid few days for anything football news wise.

Who did we assign to work on this case from the front office?:laughter:

They better do something to make a move on this guy. I have this dream he is running up the tunnel of the Ralph and I am doing this ==> :hail:

venis2k1
02-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Shiny Chicken
why is this good news?

because it isnt the franchise tag...

venis2k1
02-11-2003, 04:57 PM
"It's like being in jail," said Spikes, clearly angered by the move. "Now I've got to go and find somebody to bail me out. I don't like it and they know I don't like it."

Buffalo's got the Key.

Akhippo
02-11-2003, 05:01 PM
So what does this mean now? Is it TDs turn to step up to the plate and find the fine line of a deal that 1. Is realistic for the Bills 2. Makes the Bungles wave the white flag. Granted other teams will also be vying for the services of Spikes, which is why TD, in my opinion, should hide his frugal image regarding FAs and go after this guy. Hell, theyll make it up in merchandise sales in one year.

I know that there are alot of LBers out there to be had, but this guy is #1 in that class. We should at least make a bid on him.

lordofgun
02-11-2003, 05:03 PM
I bet they're having a party at OBD right now.

Shiny Chicken
02-11-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1

because it isnt the franchise tag...

OOOOHHHHH... DUH

WHOOPEEEE!!!! :D

Voltron
02-11-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I bet they're having a party at OBD right now.

You think we will go after him for that kind of money?

Ebenezer
02-11-2003, 05:55 PM
yes, we will...just remember Cincy gets the right to match.

venis2k1
02-11-2003, 06:06 PM
I would be shocked if they did match our offer(If/When we offer one) he REALLY wants out of Cincy.

TigerJ
02-11-2003, 06:38 PM
Question?

Buffalo has to offer a contract higher than 4.8 million for the first year for it to even be considered right? Does that mean the salary component has to beat 4.8 million or the value of the whole contract including signing bonus? It would be tough to beat if Buffalo had to offer 4.8+ million in salary on top of a big signing bonus.

Lone Stranger
02-11-2003, 07:36 PM
I believe you are all jumping the gun here. There are more than a few teams interested in Spikes and some are in better cap shape than the Bills. I am also not certain if it is TD's policy to chase the higher priced free agents.

JayWood
02-11-2003, 07:43 PM
Hey TD, phone call line one, its Takeo Spikes getting his only phone call from jail, he needs someone to bail him out....PLEASE HELP THE POOR SOUL!!! Plus how great would it be to see this guy in some red and blue

BADTHINGSMAN
02-11-2003, 09:04 PM
He would basically be are 1st rounder if signed huge contract and big bonus. I say go get him TD.

Doc
02-11-2003, 09:25 PM
It seemed Spikes was on the fence prior to today about whether to stay or go. This pushed him over the edge. I think he'll tell the Bungles that he'll never play for them if they match any contract offer he gets, and that Marvin Lewis will decide that he won't be held hostage by 1 player and let Spikes walk. So consider him done in Cincy.

As for the Bills' chances at getting him, they're better than everyone else's IMHO, especially if the Bills can land Dick LeBeau. Remember the season-ending game in Buffalo where the fans were cheering him and telling him to come to Buffalo, and how he remarked that "it felt like home." He also has to see that the Bills are a team on the rise with a shaky defense that he could be a major contributor to, and get to reunite with a coach (or two) from his days in Cincy. I guess it depends on what he wants, but I'd pursue it at priority #1, with a good DT a close 2nd.

Tatonka
02-11-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Billz_fan

I have this dream he is running up the tunnel of the Ralph and I am doing this ==> :hail:

:rofl:

:lol:

lordofgun
02-11-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Voltron

You think we will go after him for that kind of money?

I think we'll go after him. We don't have to sign a first-rounder this year.

justasportsfan
02-11-2003, 09:59 PM
JJamez. Quick ,find a way to email Spikes the picture in your signature. I'm sure he'll love it.

But whatever you do , do not make a mistake of sending him the picture I made of him.

BLeonard
02-12-2003, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Buffalo has to offer a contract higher than 4.8 million for the first year for it to even be considered right? Does that mean the salary component has to beat 4.8 million or the value of the whole contract including signing bonus? It would be tough to beat if Buffalo had to offer 4.8+ million in salary on top of a big signing bonus.

No, the Bills can offer a contract for whatever they want. The only catch is, Cincy can match it and keep Spikes there. Therefore, they are gonna have to offer something that Cincy isn't gonna match.

-Bill

Bulldog
02-12-2003, 09:34 AM
Marvin Lewis was quoted as saying that he didn't want players on his team who were not committed to Cincinatti. How could Spikes have made his personnal feelings any clearer? This is why I can't understand why they would tag him. He has done his time and is clearly looking forward to going somewhere else next season. Even if they do match another teams offer, they are going to have a sulking Spikes to contend with in their organization.

The Natrix
02-12-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by fmr60
I believe you are all jumping the gun here. There are more than a few teams interested in Spikes and some are in better cap shape than the Bills. I am also not certain if it is TD's policy to chase the higher priced free agents.

They are just being positive. I don't think anyone thinks it is a sure thing, however I believe Buffalo is the front runner. Rule out all the teams that are not expected to be SB caliber teams because it is clear from Spike's reoccuring comments that he wants to go to a winning team. Mark my words, this team will be at least 12-4 next season. I am sure there is at least one other team that we can say the same about who needs a LB, however IMO the Bills need one the most (especially if Newman leaves.)

I believe this guy will be in Buffalo Blue.

WG
02-12-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun

I think we'll go after him. We don't have to sign a first-rounder this year.

Great point LOG!! Frees us up a bit cap wise.

Originally posted by Bulldog
Marvin Lewis was quoted as saying that he didn't want players on his team who were not committed to Cincinatti. How could Spikes have made his personnal feelings any clearer? This is why I can't understand why they would tag him. He has done his time and is clearly looking forward to going somewhere else next season. Even if they do match another teams offer, they are going to have a sulking Spikes to contend with in their organization.

Indeed! Great start for Marvin, eh. Probably caught between a rock (the owner) and a hard place (FO). LOL Poor guy hasn't been there a month and there's already issues. I like Lewis, but he's an idiot for accepting that job. It's gonna take at least two seasons, with the help of the FO and owner I might add which hasn't happened in recent years, to dig them out. He may not have that long. :shakeno:

I feel bad for Lewis, but then again, he put himself in that position. Expect Spikes to continue to speak out the way Pickens did. He's not under contract, and even if it was in his contract the way Cincy's been doing, that players aren't allowed to talk badly about the team, he's not under contract. So that frees him up. Expect more trash from Spikes!

He'll be here. I love the enthusiasm over his potentially coming here and for once in a long while, we may have a great D again.

JefftheBillsfan
02-12-2003, 03:09 PM
This is Jerimiah Trotter all over again IMO.

Typ0
02-12-2003, 06:43 PM
This is a win win for the Bengals and Spikes. It gives the Bengals a choice to retain the player at his going rate on the market. It gives Spikes the opportunity test his value on the market plus he has a guaranteed contract to fall back on. If anything the transition tag will drive up Spikes value not hurt it. Any team wanting to get Spikes on their team will likely have to offer him a long term contract and it will have to be structured so it's unattractive to cincinnati. I don't know what Spikes is *****ing about it looks like a media show to me. If cincy wanted to piss off Spikes they would have put the franchise tag on him. Oddly enough, the transition tag is a good option for both parties here which is why they used the tag on him.

BADTHINGSMAN
02-12-2003, 09:18 PM
I say Spikes shoulda been let go early on good behaviour.

RedEyE
02-12-2003, 09:27 PM
I'm begining to worry that Spikes is as good a complainer as he is a football player. Do we really want that type of leadership in the locker room? Other professionals have dealt with similar issues with less help from the media.

Tatonka
02-12-2003, 10:21 PM
i disagree completely... he has never opened his mouth prior to this, while under contract.. he makes very good points.. he said he feels like he has done everything he could while he was there.. he was a model player for his 4 years. he is stating the obvious, in that cincy has failed to do all it could to be a winner... we can all see that.. and basically, he has been put in the situation that if he DOESNT complain, they will do everything they can to keep him.. i bet if he didnt say a word, then he would have been franchised.

i see it as he just wants to win.. he wants a chance to play for a winner.. and he knows like the rest of us, that that is not the bengals.. and never will be.

venis2k1
02-12-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by RedEyE
Other professionals have dealt with similar issues with less help from the media.

To be fair, other professionals didnt have to spend the last four years in Cincy, do you know what that does to a man???

RedEyE
02-12-2003, 10:38 PM
I'm not saying that his points aren't valid......and yes he has whined previous to this. Early on in the season Takeo made it loudly known that he didn't want to remain a Bengal. Infact, Corey Dillion made similar statements. One of them stopped crying. The other got louder.

My point is that there is a more professional way to handle the situation. What if he remains a Bengal next season? Suddenly he finds himself in an awkward predicament with his peers. Negatively slandering the new incoming coaching staff will not weigh well in the begining of the season. Completely discrediting the front office and the new head coach will not speed up the progression of his release. Instead he is pissing people off that will make sure that his release is timely and costly. Possibly costing him a prime role on a solid upcoming team (hint, hint). My suggestion to TS is to keep things behind close doors and let your agent do what he gets paid to do.

Tatonka
02-12-2003, 10:50 PM
point taken.

venis2k1
02-12-2003, 11:01 PM
I agree and Disagree with you red...While its true that he didnt have to air his laundry in public, i dont think he really burned all his bridges, He never knocked the City of Cincy, The coaches in Cincy, or the Players of Cincy. He said he gave 100% while he was there and just thinks its time to move on. Also it doesn't seem to me that he took it uppon himself to make it know he wants out...Being a Big time athlete people ask him about his situation in Cincy 300 times a day. I think the fact that he spoke the truth about it and didn't just nod and say "I like the Bengles and would like to stay with the team....yadda yadda yadda" like most players do is an asset to his character, and not a liability.

RedEyE
02-13-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by venis2k1
I agree and Disagree with you red...While its true that he didnt have to air his laundry in public, i dont think he really burned all his bridges, He never knocked the City of Cincy, The coaches in Cincy, or the Players of Cincy. He said he gave 100% while he was there and just thinks its time to move on. Also it doesn't seem to me that he took it uppon himself to make it know he wants out...Being a Big time athlete people ask him about his situation in Cincy 300 times a day. I think the fact that he spoke the truth about it and didn't just nod and say "I like the Bengles and would like to stay with the team....yadda yadda yadda" like most players do is an asset to his character, and not a liability.

I can agree with that.

Michael82
02-13-2003, 09:35 AM
Guys, he is testing Marvin Lewis. Lewis said that he does not tolerate anyone berating the team and criticizing the way things get done, thru the media. He also said that if a player does not want to be there, he doesn't want them there and if a player complains about the team thru the media, that hurts that team emotionally. You can tell Spikes is calling Marvin's bluff. He wants to push and see how far it has to go until Marvin Lewis sticks with his word and lets him go.

Tatonka
02-13-2003, 10:09 AM
yeah.. what he said..

Michael82
02-13-2003, 12:49 PM
Thanks Tatonka! :up: