It's Official! Spikes is Tagged and Pissed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

It's Official! Spikes is Tagged and Pissed!

The Bengals have made linebacker Takeo Spikes a transition free agent with a one-year offer of $4.8 million, but he doesn’t understand why because he is unhappy in Cincinnati.

“The tag is something they’re using to keep me there even though I’m not happy and I don’t understand it,” Spikes said Tuesday from Atlanta.

The Bengals and Spikes now seem to be officially at an impasse. He has given no signal that he plans to sign the deal and all appearances are he seeks free agency even though Cincinnati now has secured the right to match any bid with Tuesday’s offer.
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

This right here is what makes me excited and pumped.....

"The Bengals and Spikes’ agent, Todd France, have had virtually no talks about a long-term deal, which the Bengals seek because it lowers the salary cap number for 2003 from $4.8 million."

Comment

• venis2k1
      Youboty can hope
      • Jul 2002

Good news...

Comment

• Shiny Chicken
        Shinier than your mom
        • Jul 2002

why is this good news?

Comment

• Billz_fan
          • Jan 2003

Finally some kind of movement. Been a horrid few days for anything football news wise.

Who did we assign to work on this case from the front office?

They better do something to make a move on this guy. I have this dream he is running up the tunnel of the Ralph and I am doing this ==>
          The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• venis2k1
            Youboty can hope
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Shiny Chicken
            why is this good news?
            because it isnt the franchise tag...

Comment

• venis2k1
              Youboty can hope
              • Jul 2002

"It's like being in jail," said Spikes, clearly angered by the move. "Now I've got to go and find somebody to bail me out. I don't like it and they know I don't like it."

Buffalo's got the Key.

Comment

• Akhippo
                • Nov 2002

So what does this mean now? Is it TDs turn to step up to the plate and find the fine line of a deal that 1. Is realistic for the Bills 2. Makes the Bungles wave the white flag. Granted other teams will also be vying for the services of Spikes, which is why TD, in my opinion, should hide his frugal image regarding FAs and go after this guy. Hell, theyll make it up in merchandise sales in one year.

I know that there are alot of LBers out there to be had, but this guy is #1 in that class. We should at least make a bid on him.
                Buy land in AK now. In ten years due to global warming, it will be the new tropical paradise, minus the tropics

Comment

• lordofgun
                  in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

I bet they're having a party at OBD right now.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Shiny Chicken
                    Shinier than your mom
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by venis2k1

because it isnt the franchise tag...
                    OOOOHHHHH... DUH

WHOOPEEEE!!!!

Comment

• Voltron
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by lordofgun
                      I bet they're having a party at OBD right now.

You think we will go after him for that kind of money?
                      Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
                      - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
                      -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
                      - Mark Twain

Comment

• Ebenezer
                        Give me a minute...
                        • Jul 2002

yes, we will...just remember Cincy gets the right to match.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• venis2k1
                          Youboty can hope
                          • Jul 2002

I would be shocked if they did match our offer(If/When we offer one) he REALLY wants out of Cincy.

Comment

• TigerJ
                            • Jul 2002

Question?

Buffalo has to offer a contract higher than 4.8 million for the first year for it to even be considered right? Does that mean the salary component has to beat 4.8 million or the value of the whole contract including signing bonus? It would be tough to beat if Buffalo had to offer 4.8+ million in salary on top of a big signing bonus.
                            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Lone Stranger
                              • Sep 2002

I believe you are all jumping the gun here. There are more than a few teams interested in Spikes and some are in better cap shape than the Bills. I am also not certain if it is TD's policy to chase the higher priced free agents.

Comment

Working...
                              X