• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G. Host
    Banned
    • Jul 2002

Trouble spots: Running down biggest holes that need filling

They drafted defense, and that meant left tackle was still a glaring hole. Mike Gandy wasn't too good there last year and the Bills have to be concerned about him penciled in as the starter again right now. The candidates to take his place don't exactly bring up visions of anything more than a journeyman player.

Evidently Bills grade Gandy different than Pete. I think a good portion of the time Gandy was trying to cover for a weak guard.
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: Trouble spots: Running down biggest holes that need filling

Pete Prisco is a sports writer. Modrak, Jauron and Levy are long time personnel evaluators/coaches, who make their living working in tne NFL. Is Prisco better equipped to evaluate Gandy versus our other "needs," and to rebuild the Bills, than our 3 guys?
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Pot, kettle. Prisco is a 'glaring hole' himself.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
        Pete Prisco is a sports writer. Modrak, Jauron and Levy are long time personnel evaluators/coaches, who make their living working in tne NFL. Is Prisco better equipped to evaluate Gandy versus our other "needs," and to rebuild the Bills, than our 3 guys?
        SO what you're saying is that they (Levy/Modrak,) can do no wrong and they should never be questioned, even by a lowly sports writer who has no right to even think about questioning them? I remember a bunch of Phin fans defending Wanny when he would make unpopular decisions by the media, when at the time, the choices seemed to have made sense, or at least after we tried to apply different forms of rationale with the decisions made.

On a side note, since it seems like a lot of sports writers out there are ultimately wrong for questioning the draft or choices made by the Bills we should no longer respect what they say, even if they say something positive? Because I would assume if they're always wrong when they say something negative, then no one should even MENTION an article or an opinion if that places something in a positive light either, correct?

On another side note, has anyone seen the new Simpsons movie trailer, with Homer on the couch? Good stuff.

Comment

• jamze132
          Don’t hate…
          • Jun 2003

I still would rather listen to NFL coaches and managers talking about evaluating a player rather than a sports writer trying to do the same. Writers are normally good at their job and are entitled to there opinions but it seems that most people put them up on a pedastool and whatever they say, it must be the gospel.

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by jamze132
            I still would rather listen to NFL coaches and managers talking about evaluating a player rather than a sports writer trying to do the same. Writers are normally good at their job and are entitled to there opinions but it seems that most people put them up on a pedastool and whatever they say, it must be the gospel.
            Even Dave Wannstedt?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              • May 2003

I would rather have Dave Wannstadt running my team than Pete Prisco, for sure.

I'm not sure why anyone puts any stock in the opinions of talking heads like Prisco, Kiper, King, et. al. when none of them put their jobs on the line everyday with coaching/personnel decisions. They don't spend hundreds of hours evaluating film, etc.

They simply regurgitate the second hand opinions of others.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
                • Mar 2004

Wannstedt shouldn't even be coaching a Pop Warner team. If anyone brings up the success he had in Miami--he was just riding the groundwork that was laid down from Shula and Jimmy Johnson, and we saw what happened when that started to dry up.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by !Papacrunk!
                  Wannstedt shouldn't even be coaching a Pop Warner team. If anyone brings up the success he had in Miami--he was just riding the groundwork that was laid down from Shula and Jimmy Johnson, and we saw what happened when that started to dry up.
                  100% agreed. Now hes bringing down Pitt.

Comment

• jamze132
                    Don’t hate…
                    • Jun 2003

Even Dave Wannstedt?
                    Yes

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                      • May 2003

SO what you're saying is that they (Levy/Modrak,) can do no wrong and they should never be questioned, even by a lowly sports writer who has no right to even think about questioning them? I remember a bunch of Phin fans defending Wanny when he would make unpopular decisions by the media, when at the time, the choices seemed to have made sense, or at least after we tried to apply different forms of rationale with the decision.
                      Did I say that Levy et.al. could "do no wrong?" No. My post simply pointed out that I have more confidence in them than I do in Pete Prisco. Perhaps he is a football genius and the Bills' talent evaluators are a bunch of dolts. Only time will tell.

But for now, I have to wonder how much game film of Gandy has Prisco analyzed compared to our Bills' personnel people and coaching staff? How much has he seen of our draft picks compared to our scouts, coaches and front office?

Prisco has a right to his opinion, and I have a right to question it.

Comment

• Bulldog
                        Top Dog
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by WillisMcNasty21
                        100% agreed. Now hes bringing down Pitt.
                        How do you figure? According to Scout.com, Pitt has damn near a top ten recruiting class coming in this year(11th to be exact). Wannstedt may have been a terrible NFL coach, but I think he'll be successful at Pitt. I won't say that he'll accomplish what Carrol has at USC, but he'll have that program in the top 20 for many years to come.
                        I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• TedMock
                          • Jul 2002

It's crap like this that really pisses me off. I'm not suggesting that all sports writers are bad. I believe many are very good. However, let's be honest, they're much better at following their own teams. It's near impossible to be well versed on every team. My problem comes when they make stupid statements as if they're factual.

The Bills o-line in general played poorly last year. Nobody will dispute that. My problem is when a guy like Prisco just assumes that the left tackle gave up all the pressure. Obviously that's completely false. Gandy, in fact, played very well. To say otherwise only proves that he didn't watch any games. We all know that the pressure came mostly from the inside, but Prisco having never watched, doesn't realize that it was indeed Anderson and Teague that were the bigger culprits.

It just irritates me that he goes out and writes something like that when he's totally off base.

Comment

• mikemac2001
                            is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by YardRat
                            Pot, kettle. Prisco is a 'glaring hole' himself.
                            thats funny

MUCK
                            FIAMI

Comment

• ICE74129
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by G. Host
                              http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9417598
                              They drafted defense, and that meant left tackle was still a glaring hole. Mike Gandy wasn't too good there last year and the Bills have to be concerned about him penciled in as the starter again right now. The candidates to take his place don't exactly bring up visions of anything more than a journeyman player.

Evidently Bills grade Gandy different than Pete. I think a good portion of the time Gandy was trying to cover for a weak guard.
                              Comments like this crack me up. Mike Williams flat sucked. Did you hear the Bills say that? In fact have they EVER come out and said, ' this guy friggin sucks and is a major liablility on our team'? Or 'we failed to address a glaring need this offseason, but we will get by'?

They are going to try and pimp Gandy to the fans as a damn good LT and all is good in the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X