PDA

View Full Version : SI top Draft Bust list

G. Host
05-10-2006, 12:42 AM
No Mike Williams was not named to this list nor was any Buffalo Bill.

Sammie Smith was though, RB for the Miami Dolphins:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2006/04/20/gallery.nfldraftbusts/index.5.exclude.html
The Dolphins thought they'd finally solved their running back woes with this big, powerful runner from Florida State. In three seasons with Miami, Smith never averaged more than 3.7 yards per carry and was a fumbling machine with a knack for coughing the ball up at the worst times. He was basically driven out of town by a chorus of "Sammie sucks" before moving on to Denver, where he lasted only three games.

Bonus: Can you name the Bill in Bust Ryan Leaf's bust page?
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2006/04/20/gallery.nfldraftbusts/index.19.exclude.html

Fixed link. Sammy was number 5 on list.

LtFinFan66
05-10-2006, 12:46 AM
:idunno:

G. Host
05-10-2006, 12:48 AM
:idunno:
I blame Marino. He was the career end of many RBs. He was terrible at fakes to RBs and couldn't block well for a second.

Mr. Pink
05-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Would that be Eric Smedley?

LtFinFan66
05-10-2006, 12:51 AM
He just wanted to get back to pass, he couldn't be bothered with fakes.

G. Host
05-10-2006, 12:54 AM
He just wanted to get back to pass, he couldn't be bothered with fakes.

I know and that is one of the reasons I say he was a great passer but a terrible QB.
He DID make a good advertising spokesman the year he broke his leg which was sort of a fortunate 'accidiental" way to discover it.

G. Host
05-10-2006, 01:03 AM
Would that be Eric Smedley?
Could be. I do not remember the number he wore but I think he was playing for Bills same time we played Chargers with Leaf.

KW Fan
05-10-2006, 01:19 AM
Leaf now that was a bust

Tinboy
05-10-2006, 04:23 AM
Brian Bosworth No 1. Wow.

YardRat
05-10-2006, 04:44 AM
Nice find, G. Some notes...

The Jets blew it on a running back, also.

How about the Colts? They shot not just one, but two, in the ass in the SAME YEAR.

Vernon Davis fans...see Derek Brown..."A physical specimen at Notre Dame, Brown looked as if he would redefine the tight end position in the NFL."

Vince Young, Matt Leinart, and Jay Cutler fans...note the # of QB's on the list.

Gee...I didn't notice any safeties in that group.

Mr. Pink
05-10-2006, 07:07 AM
Gee...I didn't notice any safeties in that group.

That might be because only 6 safeties in the past 20 years have been drafted in the top 10, besides the 2 this year in Huff and Whitner.

Rod Woodson, Bennie Blades, Eric Turner, Troy Vincent, Roy Williams and Sean Taylor were the 6. So both Whitner and Huff have A LOT to live up to to warrant being picked so high in the draft.

ublinkwescore
05-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Wasn't Troy Vincent drafted as a CB though?

Mr. Pink
05-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Wasn't Troy Vincent drafted as a CB though?

I knew the other guys off the top of my head...just went to check to make sure I wasn't missing anyone. According to NFL.com Vincent was listed as a Safety on the draft tracker board/recap.

Kinda surprised me seeing Vincent was a corner when he started as an Eagle, then again Rod Woodson was a corner for Pittsburgh as well.