PDA

View Full Version : Even rookie Whitner surprised that Bills took him at No. 8

G. Host
05-10-2006, 12:46 AM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afceast
The Bills raised many eyesbrows with their selection of SS Donte Whitner, the second-rated safety in the draft, with the eighth overall pick, including Whitner’s. The Ohio State standout, who had been expected to be selected in the mid- to late-first round, told PFW that he was surprised when Buffalo called. “I didn’t think they were interested. Prior to the draft, I hadn’t talked to them and I hadn’t taken a visit out here or anything,” he said. “(But) I’m not really surprised I went No. 8. I was thinking I would go somewhere between 11 and 13; you know, that’s not too far of a jump.” Whitner also told PFW he believes he’s ready to start as a rookie. “Well, Ohio State has prepared me tremendously, you know, running an NFL-style defense, with coaches that have coached in the NFL, and the way that they coach at Ohio State. You know, they coach effort to the ball, toughness and attitude, so the coaches at OSU have really prepared me to come in here and take care of everything quickly and go out and play.”

I much prefer the 'stealth mode' of taking picks.

LtFinFan66
05-10-2006, 06:55 AM
Buckeyes rule!

Stewie
05-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Did you even read what you posted?

"I’m not really surprised I went No. 8. "

What he said: he was surprised that the Bills took him, because they hadn't really talked to him or brought him into Buffalo for a visit.

ParanoidAndroid
05-10-2006, 06:17 PM
I didn't realize that he is only 20! He's got a lot of football ahead of him...this guy is going to be great for us. It's unbelieveable how young we are as a team right now.