PDA

View Full Version : Objectivity, hopes and aspirations.

Mr. Pink
05-10-2006, 07:29 AM
You know, why is it that anyone who says something positively about this team is right, but anyone who is negative is wrong? We need to look at this more objectively and realize that this team this year isn't going to be very good.
-A lot of new players learning a whole new system.
-A QB who may actually be allowed to learn and progress on the job this year. Novel concept there.
-A revamped O-line, for better or worse, that will take time to gel as a cohesive unit.
-A mercenary playing corner who is gonna try to make all the picks he can in order to up his dollars in the free agent market. Because lets face it, as a corner more picks=more money.
-Rookies getting on the job training.
-No solid for sure number 2 receiver at this time, which means Evans will have fits all year until someone can emerge.

Reasons for optimism.
-A lot of dead weight has been purged from this team. Some is addition by subtraction.
-A ton of speed at wide out, if we can have a QB who can get the ball to them.
-If Clements plays up to par, a secondary that is in the top 1/3 of the league.
-The best damn special teams in the NFL.
-If the o-line gels quickly, Willis might get to prove "he's the best back in the NFL."

The problem is there are far too many ifs' with this team. We're not looking at a team that can get a bounce here and there and sneak into the playoffs. A bounce here and there might be the difference between 4 and 5 wins realistically.

This is a few years process, it's not gonna turn around overnight. So based on your perspective of things, our offseason could be good or could be bad. Doesn't necessarily mean one side is right and one side is wrong. It's not as easy as black and white.

Are we better on paper this year than last? In my estimation right now, no. But, are we taking steps to be better in 2 years from now, 3 years from now? Yes. And that is what really matters in the NFL today, not just throwing a bunch of players together for the "win now" mentality but players who can year in and year out compete.

The only thing that would have been nice is having some of those "big name" players who yes, are older, around to mentor and tutor our youngsters.

But C'est la vie. It didn't happen and I'm done worrying and complaining about it.

Thing that bugs me is, just because one person doesn't like the offseason moves and voices it doesn't mean they are wrong, an idiot or on crack. It's opinion. It doesn't mean someone who does like the offseason is also that way either. Opinion is opinion and not fact alone.

Am I hopeful that the Bills will play well this year and make the playoffs? No. What am I hopeful for is that the Bills by week 10 start playing as a cohesive unit that shows some progress and can be a competitve team in 07. I'm sure plenty of you around here aren't going to like that idea....and honestly no one can really blame anyone, we've suffered through years and years of futility. Is that the fault of the current regime? Yes and No. Ralph is still there, Ralph made the decisions before or Okayed the decisions before. Is any of this Levy's fault directly, obviously not.

justasportsfan
05-10-2006, 08:05 AM
It's not that negative posters are wrong. It's that they talk like they are right. No one knows how things will pan out especially since it's a new system and new staff and yet negative posters like to whine because they know better than the new staff or don't like what they are doing.

If TD was still the GM then yes, I'd be worried after all there are facts to support his failures.

Negative posters are whining for things that have yet to be seen and their constant whining gets old.

Give the new staff a chance to do something before you all yell , "the sky is falling".

Night Train
05-10-2006, 08:25 AM
The wild card in this whole formula is Coaching.

People plug in roster names as if they're playing a Madden game and already have all the answers. Last I checked, this team has a new coaching staff and indeed, it will take time. But coaching plays a huge role in the formula of winning football.

Last season, we had one unit playing well... Special Teams. They may be the best in football and that's no stretch. Unfortunately we had poor to almost non-existent coaching on the Offensive and Defensive side of the ball.

I'm still having trouble identifying how much actual talent we have, since our 2005 Offensive and Defensive playcalling resembled the Twit Olympics Python sketch at times.

I don't see Jauron as any great gameday genius, much like I used to view Marv in his prime. But sharp people surround themselves with sharp asst. coaches who have a plan ( ex. Marchibroda ) and then get the hell out of the way on gameday. Jauron may have hired a couple good ones in Fairchild and Fewell but the jury is still out. At least they have a friggin' plan ! That alone is a positive.

Those who say we have bottom rung talent are just throwing darts. Without good coaching, it's anyones guess how this team will do but those who wish to see a positive in how the team is progressing is the nature of a fan. All the same, criticism is also justified when applicable.

It's easy to be hypercritical, based on past heartaches but after a while, the crying becomes tiresome and so does the credibility of those who wish to repeat the same doom and gloom story ad nauseum. When the games start in September, then we'll know.

Keep an open mind and don't set your goals for this team too high. We still have holes and probably won't see the playoffs until at least 2007.

I still like the team, so my spirit will never be trampled.

Go Bills !

mysticsoto
05-10-2006, 09:04 AM
It's not that negative posters are wrong. It's that they talk like they are right. No one knows how things will pan out especially since it's a new system and new staff and yet negative posters like to whine because they know better than the new staff or don't like what they are doing.

If TD was still the GM then yes, I'd be worried after all there are facts to support his failures.

Negative posters are whining for things that have yet to be seen and their constant whining gets old.

Give the new staff a chance to do something before you all yell , "the sky is falling".

Amen, brother. The whining does get old. The thing that I hate the most is if they are wrong, they just get to say, "whoops - glad I was wrong" and they are instantly absolved. If they are right, they get to say "See? I told you." - it's almost like a win-win for them. In the mean time, the rest of us have to put up with hearing their negative crap all the time...

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-10-2006, 09:28 AM
You know, why is it that anyone who says something positively about this team is right, but anyone who is negative is wrong? We need to look at this more objectively and realize that this team this year isn't going to be very good.
-A QB who may actually be allowed to learn and progress on the job this year. Novel concept there.
-A revamped O-line, for better or worse, that will take time to gel as a cohesive unit.
-A mercenary playing corner who is gonna try to make all the picks he can in order to up his dollars in the free agent market. Because lets face it, as a corner more picks=more money.
-No solid for sure number 2 receiver at this time, which means Evans will have fits all year until someone can emerge.

Reasons for optimism.
-A lot of dead weight has been purged from this team. Some is addition by subtraction.
-If the o-line gels quickly, Willis might get to prove "he's the best back in the NFL."

The problem is there are far too many ifs' with this team. We're not looking at a team that can get a bounce here and there and sneak into the playoffs. A bounce here and there might be the difference between 4 and 5 wins realistically.

This is a few years process, it's not gonna turn around overnight. So based on your perspective of things, our offseason could be good or could be bad. Doesn't necessarily mean one side is right and one side is wrong. It's not as easy as black and white.

Are we better on paper this year than last? In my estimation right now, no. But, are we taking steps to be better in 2 years from now, 3 years from now? Yes. And that is what really matters in the NFL today, not just throwing a bunch of players together for the "win now" mentality but players who can year in and year out compete.

The only thing that would have been nice is having some of those "big name" players who yes, are older, around to mentor and tutor our youngsters.

But C'est la vie. It didn't happen and I'm done worrying and complaining about it.

Thing that bugs me is, just because one person doesn't like the offseason moves and voices it doesn't mean they are wrong, an idiot or on crack. It's opinion. It doesn't mean someone who does like the offseason is also that way either. Opinion is opinion and not fact alone.

Am I hopeful that the Bills will play well this year and make the playoffs? No. What am I hopeful for is that the Bills by week 10 start playing as a cohesive unit that shows some progress and can be a competitve team in 07. I'm sure plenty of you around here aren't going to like that idea....and honestly no one can really blame anyone, we've suffered through years and years of futility. Is that the fault of the current regime? Yes and No. Ralph is still there, Ralph made the decisions before or Okayed the decisions before. Is any of this Levy's fault directly, obviously not.

Great post, I agree with many of your points.

If there is anything I hate about these boards is that any negative opinion is met with "you are not a true Bills fan" or "oh dear the sky is falling" sarcasm.

I am passionate about the Bills, and I think about this stuff at least 3 or 4 hours a day every day. So yes, I have opinions....and sometimes negative things to say. But I am entitled to have those opinions. I don't insist that they are right, but it does seem that those who always think everything will be just fine (they have been saying that for years, and as far as I can see...no, it hasn't been just fine) need a dose of reality.

DarbyTheDinosaur
05-10-2006, 10:33 AM

Two statements that are in opposition to one another...

I must admit, as soon as I read that I moved onto the next posting.

You claim the objective view previews a negative outcome to this season, others claim an objective view previews a positive one...nobody knows. We can't predict the future.

Just enjoy the game...

Jan Reimers
05-10-2006, 10:37 AM
As a Bills' fan, this is a great time of the year to be positive. We signed a nice batch of free agents, rebuilt the D through the draft, and picked up some promising UDFAs. We have a new coaching staff, a HOF GM, and an owner who stood up to the entire league.

We got rid of a number of aging, and in some cases, negative players, and have several young, potentially great offensive players ready to bloom. Do we still have some holes? Certainly. But if you can't be optimistic now, when can you be?

All this being said, if the season starts and everything turns to crap, I'll admit my optimism was misplaced, and be as negative as the next guy.

ICE74129
05-10-2006, 11:52 AM
negative posters like to whine because they know better than the new staff or don't like what they are doing.

Fans like you said that with Butler and Wade, we were right. You guys said 'I would be worried if it were still Butler' when we got TD.

Then you guys said TD with Greg Williams and Mike Mularkey were smarter than us.

Same talk, 3rd go around. How about this...How about the Bills org get their SH@! together THEN we have faith again. We fans have been burned too many times.

I was happy with the approach to FA, not the handling of the QB position nor the lack of addressing Left tackle. Then came the draft and we reached for Whitner and traded up to get a backup/ Rotational DT instead of a starter next to Tripplet. We are still splitting time with 3QB's when Holcomb has no business starting. He is a 34 year old career loser with no arm (see Jets game).

When the Bills actually start becoming playoff contenders again maybe the blind faith comes back. As it is right now, we are all from Missouri...SHOW ME FIRST.

BTW justa, we that aren't that happy with the team right now are as right as the homers are. The difference is we have history on our side. Ralph hasn't fielded a winner in a decade. 3 GM's, 4 HC's, OC's etc. When WILL he get the team on track?

ICE74129
05-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Amen, brother. The whining does get old. The thing that I hate the most is if they are wrong, they just get to say, "whoops - glad I was wrong" and they are instantly absolved. If they are right, they get to say "See? I told you." - it's almost like a win-win for them. In the mean time, the rest of us have to put up with hearing their negative crap all the time...

What in the last decade has been positive for Bills fans? Nothing I can think of. We have sunk to the laughing stock of the league. The *****ing and whining will stop when the near decade full of futility stops.

NorthCarBills
05-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Ice: "Then came the draft and we reached for Whitner..."

I'm a long time lurker on this site, with a few posts here and there. Let me precede the following by saying I agree with Ice often quite often.

However, on one of my posts before the draft, I was called out by Ice for using the term "reach." This was in regards to a simple question I threw out asking if one of the prospects in the draft was a reach at the #8 spot. Ice, you replied and told everyone that you were sick of people using that term, plain and simple.

I just wanted to make it clear that you should not be so quick to shoot people down if you are not going to follow your own example.

Again, I'm not trying to start anything personal, and I do agree with many of your opinions when they are kept to football focused discussions.

justasportsfan
05-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Fans like you said that with Butler and Wade, we were right. You guys said 'I would be worried if it were still Butler' when we got TD. yeah right.

Then you guys said TD with Greg Williams and Mike Mularkey were smarter than us.? Way off. BZ didn't even exist during Wade's time so don't go talking like you knew what my opinions were back then. It's so you to talk like you know facts when you know crap.

Don't go talking like I am an absolutely optimistic about this season because I rather wait and see with this new staff instead of whining. I have not made any playoff predictions have I?

Same talk, 3rd go around. How about this...How about the Bills org get their SH@! together THEN we have faith again. We fans have been burned too many times.

I was happy with the approach to FA, not the handling of the QB position nor the lack of addressing Left tackle. Then came the draft and we reached for Whitner and traded up to get a backup/ Rotational DT instead of a starter next to Tripplet. We are still splitting time with 3QB's when Holcomb has no business starting. He is a 34 year old career loser with no arm (see Jets game). ?
You on the other hand can't decide whether Marv get's it or not. Your opinions of him change based on whether their moves agree with your opinion. Who do you think you are? An ESPN analyst? You're not even close.

Don't go trying to shove your OC/OL coach claims down our throats either because it means nothing to us here. You're just another poster as far as we're concerend with nothing but opinions that swings both ways depending on your unqualified opinions.

When the Bills actually start becoming playoff contenders again maybe the blind faith comes back. As it is right now, we are all from Missouri...SHOW ME FIRST.?

You sound like a kid who CONSTANTLY screams/shouts and cries when you are uncertain whether you are getting a balloon or not.

You got balloons during the FA and now you're crying because you're not sure anymore?

BTW justa, we that aren't that happy with the team right now are as right as the homers are. The difference is we have history on our side. Ralph hasn't fielded a winner in a decade. 3 GM's, 4 HC's, OC's etc. When WILL he get the team on track?

You're happy , oh wait, you're not happy.
At least guys like OP are consistent. You can't make up your mind.

I'm tired of your stupid sources that know squat. Show me proof that Ralph is making the final decisions especially in the draft.

ICE74129
05-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Don't go trying to shove your OC/OL coach claims down our throats either because it means nothing to us here. You're just another poster as far as we're concerend with nothing but opinions that swings both ways depending on your unqualified opinions.

Hey dont' be mad I know what I am talking about. I don't care if it doesn't mean 'much to us here'. I'm not trying to be part of the kiss the ass club. I tell it how it is.

Marv did good in FA, fugged up the draft and is screwing up the QB situation. Ralph is a cheap confused moron. The sooner he is out of the picture the sooner we are better off.

ICE74129
05-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Ice: "Then came the draft and we reached for Whitner..."

I'm a long time lurker on this site, with a few posts here and there. Let me precede the following by saying I agree with Ice often quite often.

However, on one of my posts before the draft, I was called out by Ice for using the term "reach." This was in regards to a simple question I threw out asking if one of the prospects in the draft was a reach at the #8 spot. Ice, you replied and told everyone that you were sick of people using that term, plain and simple.

I just wanted to make it clear that you should not be so quick to shoot people down if you are not going to follow your own example.

Again, I'm not trying to start anything personal, and I do agree with many of your opinions when they are kept to football focused discussions.

I figured I would use the term since it is THE overused buzzword.

Pinkerton Security
05-10-2006, 01:33 PM
IMHO what this thread boils down to is the fact that there are 3 types of people on this forum...

1) People who constantly gripe about how much the bills are going to suck and what a horrible front office we have, how can they do that!!! they should all be fired!!

2) People who think the Bills can do no wrong and everything they do is going to turn out for the best.

and 3) People who DO have objectivity and see that the Bills are not going to be a great team, maybe not even a good team, yet can still have optimism about the season.

I do see the points brought up by posters that the Bills have made mistakes, are not exactly the toast of the NFL, and have a long road ahead of them.

Still, I myself am very sick of all the #1's out there, the people who are cynical and only get on here to bash every move the team makes. I cannot understand how people like that are actually Bills fans. I AM NOT saying that everyone who speaks down on the organization or players is that way, I am just saying a few people ARE like that and I basically skip over their posts.

As a Bills fan, sometimes it is tough to see the positive haha. I am well aware that everyone has a right to their own opinions, and I respect that right.

But maybe sometimes think about presenting both sides of a situation, then explain which side you support and why.

People have said that "there is no black and white" with a situation like this, as in there is no way to know what is going to happen, and that is the truth. I have no idea how the Bills are going to do, but I am guessing its not going to be nearly good enough to make the playoffs. Still, I see hope in the situation. i guess what Im saying is there is a way to both be objective, yet still have a positive outlook on things.

justasportsfan
05-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Hey dont' be mad I know what I am talking about. I don't care if it doesn't mean 'much to us here'. I'm not trying to be part of the kiss the ass club. I tell it how it is..
I'm not mad. Just don't think you should be talking on my behalf or assume what my opinions were back then . I was as negative as some of the people here when Robosack was the Qb FYI.

We've witnessed how TD runs a team. Why are people who think that "anything is better than TD" considered a kiss ass? I may not be one of them but it's funny how Funtimes says optimistic people label negative posters and you just did the same by calling them kiss ass? Pot calling the kettle...?

Marv did good in FA, fugged up the draft and is screwing up the QB situation. Ralph is a cheap confused moron. The sooner he is out of the picture the sooner we are better off..

Here's the problem. You say Marv did well in FA and fugged up in the draft when you don't have any facts on both but your opinion. How do you know if Fowler and Tutan Reyes will build chemistry with the other players already on the team? Answer: you don't. But even though you haven't met any of the players both FA's and draft picks, you assume you know better than our scouts, coaches and GM's. They are fallible but they have more facts on hand than you do about these players.

ICE74129
05-10-2006, 01:58 PM
I'm not mad. Just don't think you should be talking on my behalf or assume what my opinions were back then . I was as negative as some of the people here when Robosack was the Qb FYI.

We've witnessed how TD runs a team. Why are people who think that "anything is better than TD" considered a kiss ass? I may not be one of them but it's funny how Funtimes says optimistic people label negative posters and you just did the same by calling them kiss ass? Pot calling the kettle...?

Here's the problem. You say Marv did well in FA and fugged up in the draft when you don't have any facts on both but your opinion. How do you know if Fowler and Tutan Reyes will build chemistry with the other players already on the team? Answer: you don't. But even though you haven't met any of the players both FA's and draft picks, you assume you know better than our scouts, coaches and GM's. They are fallible but they have more facts on hand than you do about these players.

I knew better than Butler and Wade. I knew better than TD, Gregg and Moron Mike. So far it looks like I know better than Marv, Tom and Dick.

The thing is you will counter with something stupid like 'well why aren't you GM'. and then I will have to say 'Because its a good ol boy network'. Trust me I know.

justasportsfan
05-10-2006, 02:13 PM
So far it looks like I know better than Marv, Tom and Dick.

you have facts?

dplus47
05-10-2006, 05:05 PM
i'd be a great GM if i only had a time machine.

ICE74129
05-10-2006, 06:31 PM
you have facts?

So far it's fact. It ended up being fact with the last two running this team. I expect no less this time.

!Papacrunk!
05-10-2006, 06:44 PM
It is funny how easy it is to see all of the negative things--w/ football in general. The game is a lot more complex than a lot of us like to admit, but it does make us feel good when we see the obvious mistakes and it allows us to point them out and feel comfortable that we may know something after all. The magic of message boards I guess.

ParanoidAndroid
05-10-2006, 08:29 PM
You know, why is it that anyone who says something positively about this team is right, but anyone who is negative is wrong?

...because negativity is dull and a waste of brain cells.

acehole
05-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Your wrong....

Reasons for optimism.

justasportsfan
05-11-2006, 06:41 AM
So far it's fact. It ended up being fact with the last two running this team. I expect no less this time.you know people here believe you ,right? :crazy:

ICE74129
05-11-2006, 07:15 AM
you know people here believe you ,right? :crazy:

I don't care. the facts are there. I was right then, I am right now. Bills fans better pray this coaching staff is the 2nd coming or we are in fact going to fight for that #1 draft pick next year.

justasportsfan
05-11-2006, 08:03 AM
I am right now. .prove it.

Bills fans better pray this coaching staff is the 2nd coming or we are in fact going to fight for that #1 draft pick next year..are they?

jmb1099
05-11-2006, 08:08 AM
The problem for me isn't someone having a different opinion, if that was the case I'd have been divorced countless times. The problem for me is the continual drumming of the same things over and over agian. Lets be honest here...not a one of us has any idea how this season is going to go. With all the changes that have been made, key players leaving, new pickups in FA and the draft, new systems, new management, no one has any idea. Funtimes mentioned there are too many ifs for it to be a good season, I say there are too many ifs to know one way or the other. If I had to wager money on it I'd agree that the odds for us to be real successful this year are against us, but that still doesn't take away from my being hopeful for the season or the entire team for that matter, especially based on one draft...crazy. Pitsburgh was not supposed to go to the playoffs with a rookie QB...unheard of. No way would they win a Superbowl with a first year qb, not going to happen. For those who aren't sure I'm not making a qb comparison, only to say that anything is possible, not always likely, but possible. Anyone who was anti Big Ben is now eating more crow then they ever thought possible, but...and this is the sad part, the naysayers rather than admit defeat will now say things like "he won't be great unless he does it twice", "won't happen again, fluke" Sound familar? Pretty much the same comments made about another qb who lead his team to 3 sb's and again this is not a qb comparison, anything is possible and the naysayers enjoy being naysayers.
Ice after one draft you're ready to burn Levy at the stake, but there is no way for you to know how his draft has panned out yet. Obviously you're entitled to your opinion, but to go on and on about how you're smarter than front office management before a single game has been played this season is in and of itself not good management strategy. You've had no way to evaulate the new system, the new talent, the veterns in the new system, the talent and veterns working together. In any management position in the world, to make any kind of real assessment, you would need to see your product before you could make an evalulation. Have you seen these guys all play togther yet? Have you seen a full contact practice? A practice where everyone has shown up and participated in? A mini camp with all of our players participating? No offense intended but, without any of that information how can anyone, including you, know anything? Gut feelings don't count, whats your logic?

justasportsfan
05-11-2006, 08:13 AM
Lets be honest here...not a one of us has any idea how this season is going to go.you mean ICE is not being honest when he says he's right?

He got owned by Draftboy. He's pissed at Marv now because of it.

HHURRICANE
05-11-2006, 11:33 AM

Reasons for optimism.

Bills Hater!!!!!!! Your making sense which is totally against being a fan!! If you don't think we are going to the SB you should find another team!!!!

HHURRICANE
05-11-2006, 11:38 AM

Unfortunately, most of us "whiners" were right last year when we were *****ing about leaving JP in so we could develop him. But everybody was so busy drinking the Kool-aid that half this board was dedicated to the Holcomb as a starter argument and not watching the reality of this team not being very good. I haven't seen the "optimists" posting "Holcomb should be the starter in '06" anywhere.

justasportsfan
05-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Unfortunately, most of us "whiners" were right last year when we were *****ing about leaving JP in so we could develop him. But everybody was so busy drinking the Kool-aid that half this board was dedicated to the Holcomb as a starter argument and not watching the reality of this team not being very good. I haven't seen the "optimists" posting "Holcomb should be the starter in '06" anywhere. It's a different staff and system now.

Night Train
05-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Unfortunately, most of us "whiners" were right last year when we were *****ing about leaving JP in so we could develop him. But everybody was so busy drinking the Kool-aid that half this board was dedicated to the Holcomb as a starter argument and not watching the reality of this team not being very good. I haven't seen the "optimists" posting "Holcomb should be the starter in '06" anywhere.

What ? You didn't like the 2 yard out on 4th and 7 ?

Think of the completion % stat ! :crazy:

mysticsoto
05-11-2006, 03:02 PM

My only point is that "whining" doesn't make the team better. All it does it annoy other fans. If you don't like what they have done, write a letter to Ralph and/or Marv. No one here has any say on what goes on at OBD so it is pretty useless. I didn't agree with alot of things that happened last year. I think Mularkey did JP, Gates and the team in general a disservice. But it's over with and this is another year. I want to see what Marv and Jauron are going to do. Until I see the product they put out on the field, I'm not going to assume I know what the team is going to be like already.

patmoran2006
05-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Ice.
Normally I am either ignorant or sarcastic to you, or a combination of both.

But now I have a SERIOUS question to ask you.
Are you Bi-Polar?

I mean, I simply just DONT get it, help me out here please... Your comments in your posts are the most contradictory and hypocritical theories that I have EVER seen in my entire life of reading other people's thoughts. It's absolutely befuddling to me.

Dig back to just before FA started. You were a "whiner".. You say and I QUOTE at that time "IF Wilson dont spend the bucks the Bills suck again = no fans after last year's crap."

Then you become the biggest HOMER in history once FA starts and you bash EVERY single post that had a problem with any player we signed, didn't sign or didn't even try to sign. "marv and tom and co" could do NO wrong.

You LOVED Craig Nall when we signed him, you started a million he "can be the next hasselbeck, brooks or Brunnel" threads.. Now, in your OWN words the Bills have "3 bum qbs and that hasn't been solved." I mean c'mon man. Did you see something in Nall in the VOLUNTARY mini-camps that you're already calling him a bum, or whatever negative words you use to address the Bills 3 QBs?

Then you flat-out LIE and say Perry Fewel said we have our starters at safety. you never produce the "link" and then you BASHED myself, DraftBoy, JP-Era and some others when we questioned this.. Turns out how right you were on that one, huh.. Two of our first draft picks were safeties. Again, its a case of your SELECTIVE reading/hearing whatever you want to call it.

But here is what baffles me the most.. You are bashing the living hell out of the Bills for drafting Whitner and McCargo so high, and you called them "reaches" how many damn times, I seriously lost count after a few dozen..

HOWEVER, you said DOZENS of times BEFORE the draft about reaches.. Remember when YOU wanted Winston Justice or Ngata/Bunkley and MOST people said 8 was too high (especialy for Justice)?

What did you do then? .. "Levi Jones went 10th and he was a 'reach' at the time" line so many times I can't even remember anymore. So I guess you can compare Justice or Ngata to Jones, but not Whitner or McCargo, because YOU dont like them?

What gives?

The bottom line is your OWN WORDS are living PROOF that you are the most confused, fair-weather fan this board has EVER seen.... Thats not a personal attack, that's a fact based on your comments. Nobody logged on under your name and typed anything.

It's pretty simple.. YOU had your OWN PERSONAL agenda on who the Bills should draft and because Levy DIDNT go the route YOU wanted.. Now all of a sudden "we reached" for picks, our draft sucks, our QB's suck, OUR OL sucks.. The bills just suck, period.

Your so fair-weathered its nauesating, and that's far worse than any other "whiner" or "homer' on this board.. You are BOTH, at the same time, depending on what day of the week it is.

Sickening comments on your end since April 29. Make up your damn mind already will ya.

mysticsoto
05-12-2006, 08:05 AM
I guess this goes back to what I said...some people like to whine - even when they don't know what the product on the field will ultimately be. Somehow, it must make them feel better - I would imagine that this is how some people remove their frustration with the Bills over the last decade or so. Unfortunately, this "releasing" of negativity on this forum is annoying for the rest of us...since it is not constructive or productive in any way.

justasportsfan
05-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Ice.

Are you Bi-Polar?

I mean, I simply just DONT get it, help me out here please... Your comments in your posts are the most contradictory and hypocritical theories that I have EVER seen in my entire life of reading other people's thoughts. It's absolutely befuddling to me.

Dig back to just before FA started. You were a "whiner".. You say and I QUOTE at that time "IF Wilson dont spend the bucks the Bills suck again = no fans after last year's crap."

Then you become the biggest HOMER in history once FA starts and you bash EVERY single post that had a problem with any player we signed, didn't sign or didn't even try to sign. "marv and tom and co" could do NO wrong.

You LOVED Craig Nall when we signed him, you started a million he "can be the next hasselbeck, brooks or Brunnel" threads.. Now, in your OWN words the Bills have "3 bum qbs and that hasn't been solved." I mean c'mon man. Did you see something in Nall in the VOLUNTARY mini-camps that you're already calling him a bum, or whatever negative words you use to address the Bills 3 QBs?

Then you flat-out LIE and say Perry Fewel said we have our starters at safety. you never produce the "link" and then you BASHED myself, DraftBoy, JP-Era and some others when we questioned this.. Turns out how right you were on that one, huh.. Two of our first draft picks were safeties. Again, its a case of your SELECTIVE reading/hearing whatever you want to call it.

But here is what baffles me the most.. You are bashing the living hell out of the Bills for drafting Whitner and McCargo so high, and you called them "reaches" how many damn times, I seriously lost count after a few dozen..

HOWEVER, you said DOZENS of times BEFORE the draft about reaches.. Remember when YOU wanted Winston Justice or Ngata/Bunkley and MOST people said 8 was too high (especialy for Justice)?

What did you do then? .. "Levi Jones went 10th and he was a 'reach' at the time" line so many times I can't even remember anymore. So I guess you can compare Justice or Ngata to Jones, but not Whitner or McCargo, because YOU dont like them?

What gives?

The bottom line is your OWN WORDS are living PROOF that you are the most confused, fair-weather fan this board has EVER seen.... Thats not a personal attack, that's a fact based on your comments. Nobody logged on under your name and typed anything.

It's pretty simple.. YOU had your OWN PERSONAL agenda on who the Bills should draft and because Levy DIDNT go the route YOU wanted.. Now all of a sudden "we reached" for picks, our draft sucks, our QB's suck, OUR OL sucks.. The bills just suck, period.

Your so fair-weathered its nauesating, and that's far worse than any other "whiner" or "homer' on this board.. You are BOTH, at the same time, depending on what day of the week it is.

Sickening comments on your end since April 29. Make up your damn mind already will ya.that's a long waste of post. You know he isn't gonna respond to things he has no answer for Pat. No need to keep telling him he can't agree with himself. He knows that to be fact. He'll just pull out his trump card and say, "I know so" and yet can't back up his claims.

Save yourself some time and keep it short. Everyone already knows he's full of himself.

HHURRICANE
05-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Ice.

Are you Bi-Polar?

Dude, shorten your posts. By the way this team has made me Bi-Polar!! One minute we are playoff team, the next we are rebuilding.

patmoran2006
05-12-2006, 04:59 PM
This team is going to be crap (record-wise) in 2006, but the DIFFERENCE between this crap team and the ones that came before it, is they are building a team that is going to be YOUNG and play well for the next several years to come.

I actually am starting to see a lot of the Sabres in the Bills right now.. I have no problem going 4-12 this year if they PLAY their young guys a lot and get a good FEEL for who's going to be a strong player for the next 3-5 years .

oh ya, and INDISPUTABLY settle the QB situation, whether the future is Nall, JP or a new guy. No more lingering questions at QB come year's end.

Statman
05-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Fans like you said that with Butler and Wade, we were right. You guys said 'I would be worried if it were still Butler' when we got TD.

Then you guys said TD with Greg Williams and Mike Mularkey were smarter than us.

I was happy with the approach to FA, not the handling of the QB position nor the lack of addressing Left tackle. Then came the draft and we reached for Whitner and traded up to get a backup/ Rotational DT instead of a starter next to Tripplet. We are still splitting time with 3QB's when Holcomb has no business starting. He is a 34 year old career loser with no arm (see Jets game).

When the Bills actually start becoming playoff contenders again maybe the blind faith comes back. As it is right now, we are all from Missouri...SHOW ME FIRST.

They can't see it.

The longer we give more of what only figures to be more mediocrity and losing, the longer we and the Bills are in this state. We're not patient for more of the same while they are. What they don't realize is that it's easy to win in the NFL. But it's not going to happen the way things are going. You just don't win by focusing on stopping other teams' passing games while they can run the ball as if your defense isn't even on the field.

Same with the offense. You can throw all that you want to, but no team has ever won a Super Bowl on passing and that includes some great passing offenses. San Diego in the late '70s and early '80s and Marino's Dolphins to name a pair.

But what are we doing? Beefing up the secondary and getting linemen that specialize in rushing the passer only and relying on Fairchild and a pass-happy Gilbride-like offense that once again seems to revolve around the QB.

Does it even take a season let alone three or four to figure out that that's not going to work?

Statman
05-14-2006, 11:17 AM
I guess this goes back to what I said...some people like to whine - even when they don't know what the product on the field will ultimately be. Somehow, it must make them feel better - I would imagine that this is how some people remove their frustration with the Bills over the last decade or so. Unfortunately, this "releasing" of negativity on this forum is annoying for the rest of us...since it is not constructive or productive in any way.
Some people also like to see their team win and not do things that have only proven to be completely ineffective in reaching what should be any fan's desired goal.

People "release their 'negativity' " in the forums in hopes of raising the issues to a higher level.

You didn't see teams rushing to hire Greg Williams or Mike Mularkey to be their head coach again. So why did we hire Jauron? Isn't he in essentially the same boat? The man's done virtually nothing in this league.

What is funny is how Gilbride, Williams, Mularkey, Donahoe, etc. are all geniuses for a few seasons. They all know more than anyone else in the league an apparently their opinions supercede hard data. They run teams by hiring people that they like, not necessarily people with proven track records and winning for performance or top accolades elsewhere.

Then, after a few seasons, all of a sudden, apparently Gilbride, Williams, Mularkey, Donahoe, etc. are all morons and don't even know enough to tie their own shoes.

So who was wrong? Did the coaches go from being geniuses to morons within a few years? Wasn't Gilbride literally considered a genius by MENSA or IQ standards?

Wasn't he at that standard when he left here too? Hint: IQs don't change.

Sounds to me that the fans suffer from the same things that the coaches suffer from, namely not knowing what makes a winner in the NFL.

It's not tough to figure out. Really. It's very easy. But our coaches just aren't following that model.

So again, how long do we reallly need to follow this plan to see that, once again, it'll fall short?

Wise people see ahead and realize that it won't work. Others, for whatever reasons they have, ignore all of that and decide that they don't want to think or study up and cut them all the slack that they need.

Pretty soon we'll be waving the team good bye out of Buffalo because we haven't had a winning season in over a decade or more while some of us, the same ones, continue to scratch their heads and wonder why this team sucks. While the others are sore from banging theirs against brick walls perpetually asking themselves why those that are getting paid many hundreds of thousands of dollars, even millioins, can't seem to figure out what those of us that do this only out of interest and for free easily can.

It really isn't complicated. Really. But many coaches seem to have different ideas of what will work all the while completely ignoring what history should teach them. Meanwhile, both Levy and Jauron are history majors.

justasportsfan
05-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Some people also like to see their team win and not do things that have only proven to be completely ineffective in reaching what should be any fan's desired goal. and you can? Puhlease. I doubt your crystal ball is better than anyone else's here.

Wise people see ahead and realize that it won't work. Others, for whatever reasons they have, ignore all of that and decide that they don't want to think or study up and cut them all the slack that they need.

Once again, it isn't that you guys are wrong. You guys come accross like you know better than others and that you are right. Not one of you whiners have ever come up with valid qualifications that's better than MArvs/Modraks/Jaurons resume.

Some have whined during the past when it came to TD choosing coaches. Jauron wasn't my choice. I wanted Weiss or Coughlin , but I am willing to give him a chance. Our new staff have chosen an offense that scores and a D that been tops in the league. What's the problem with that. Whether it was Martz or someone else who was hired, there'd always be something to whine about.

Your negativity here is no revelation. If we fail this year which is most likely to happen because we are in a rebuilding mode, you guys are going to say "we told you so". If the bills succeed within the next few years, you're just going to say "but they said we would win now".

It should be interesting to see you guys change your tune once we start winning again. I doubt you'll even show your face around here. ICE can't even respond anymore to his own contradictions.

BillyT92679
05-14-2006, 02:24 PM
This year's team feels very 1987 like to me. Middle of the road, but on the cusp of something big.

mysticsoto
05-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Some people also like to see their team win and not do things that have only proven to be completely ineffective in reaching what should be any fan's desired goal.

People "release their 'negativity' " in the forums in hopes of raising the issues to a higher level.

You didn't see teams rushing to hire Greg Williams or Mike Mularkey to be their head coach again. So why did we hire Jauron? Isn't he in essentially the same boat? The man's done virtually nothing in this league.

What is funny is how Gilbride, Williams, Mularkey, Donahoe, etc. are all geniuses for a few seasons. They all know more than anyone else in the league an apparently their opinions supercede hard data. They run teams by hiring people that they like, not necessarily people with proven track records and winning for performance or top accolades elsewhere.

Then, after a few seasons, all of a sudden, apparently Gilbride, Williams, Mularkey, Donahoe, etc. are all morons and don't even know enough to tie their own shoes.

So who was wrong? Did the coaches go from being geniuses to morons within a few years? Wasn't Gilbride literally considered a genius by MENSA or IQ standards?

Wasn't he at that standard when he left here too? Hint: IQs don't change.

Sounds to me that the fans suffer from the same things that the coaches suffer from, namely not knowing what makes a winner in the NFL.

It's not tough to figure out. Really. It's very easy. But our coaches just aren't following that model.

So again, how long do we reallly need to follow this plan to see that, once again, it'll fall short?

Pretty soon we'll be waving the team good bye out of Buffalo because we haven't had a winning season in over a decade or more while some of us, the same ones, continue to scratch their heads and wonder why this team sucks. While the others are sore from banging theirs against brick walls perpetually asking themselves why those that are getting paid many hundreds of thousands of dollars, even millioins, can't seem to figure out what those of us that do this only out of interest and for free easily can.

It really isn't complicated. Really. But many coaches seem to have different ideas of what will work all the while completely ignoring what history should teach them. Meanwhile, both Levy and Jauron are history majors.

There is one difference between Williams, Mularkey and now Jauron. Jauron has a winning, experienced coach now at GM who knows what type of players it takes to make it to the superbowl. He can also impart alot of knowledge when it comes to coaching and strategy.

"Some people also like to see their team win and not do things that have only proven to be completely ineffective in reaching what should be any fan's desired goal. "

There is one problem with this statement...you are assuming that this FO will perform like the previous. You don't know that anything this FO has done, is doing and will do, will turn out to be "completely ineffective" as you say. You are making a judgement based on previous actions from a previous regime that is no longer in charge of the team. And you are basing this so called "logic" on frustration and nothing else. If it hasn't been pointed out, making judgement decisions based on emotion is usually a poor idea.

After the 1st few weeks, we should know more about what this team will look like this year. I don't think they will be a superbowl contender team, but I believe we've made some steps in the right direction and are moving that way.

BillsFever21
05-15-2006, 07:10 PM

Reasons for optimism.

Because if you say we will suck you are dumb and not a true fan like the Kool-Aid drinkers who say we're gonna contend for the playoffs every season. They have been wrong for the last 5 years and realistic people like us have been right.

Some people think they are less of a fan if they don't blindly support their team and think they always have a shot.

BillsFever21
05-15-2006, 07:19 PM
There is one difference between Williams, Mularkey and now Jauron. Jauron has a winning, experienced coach now at GM who knows what type of players it takes to make it to the superbowl. He can also impart alot of knowledge when it comes to coaching and strategy.

"Some people also like to see their team win and not do things that have only proven to be completely ineffective in reaching what should be any fan's desired goal. "

There is one problem with this statement...you are assuming that this FO will perform like the previous. You don't know that anything this FO has done, is doing and will do, will turn out to be "completely ineffective" as you say. You are making a judgement based on previous actions from a previous regime that is no longer in charge of the team. And you are basing this so called "logic" on frustration and nothing else. If it hasn't been pointed out, making judgement decisions based on emotion is usually a poor idea.

After the 1st few weeks, we should know more about what this team will look like this year. I don't think they will be a superbowl contender team, but I believe we've made some steps in the right direction and are moving that way.

We were supposed to be heading in the right direction after we fired Wade Phillips and John Butler and replaced them with Gregg Williams and Tom Donahoe. Donahoe was a winner in Pittsburgh and his teams were in the playoffs just about every season and a SB apperance. He knew what it took to build a team. It couldn't get any worse then Wade Phillips at that time.

Then we were much better off and it couldn't be worse after we fired that idiot Gregg Williams and brought in a real coach like Mike Mularkey who surronded himself with a great coaching staff and especially the OC, Tom Clements, who some felt he should've been hired a couple years before that instead of Kevin Gilbride.

Now we have Part 3. It can't get any worse then Mularkey and we have a real coaching staff with the guy who lost twice as many games as he won when he was a HC his first time around.

Will the 3rd time be a charm? I sure hope so or this team set itself back another few years or so.

If it doesn't then the next coach we bring in will be the answer and it won't be able to get any worse then what we had before.

The funny thing is it's the same people saying this same stuff year after year and every coaching change. Odds are they have to be right one of these years. Hopefully for the sake of our team this will be the time.

As long as we don't draft talented rookies to play while we're rebuilding(again) and sign some cheap scrubs every year or two to replace each other we should be in good shape.

mysticsoto
05-16-2006, 08:04 AM
We were supposed to be heading in the right direction after we fired Wade Phillips and John Butler and replaced them with Gregg Williams and Tom Donahoe. Donahoe was a winner in Pittsburgh and his teams were in the playoffs just about every season and a SB apperance. He knew what it took to build a team. It couldn't get any worse then Wade Phillips at that time.

Then we were much better off and it couldn't be worse after we fired that idiot Gregg Williams and brought in a real coach like Mike Mularkey who surronded himself with a great coaching staff and especially the OC, Tom Clements, who some felt he should've been hired a couple years before that instead of Kevin Gilbride.

Now we have Part 3. It can't get any worse then Mularkey and we have a real coaching staff with the guy who lost twice as many games as he won when he was a HC his first time around.

Will the 3rd time be a charm? I sure hope so or this team set itself back another few years or so.

If it doesn't then the next coach we bring in will be the answer and it won't be able to get any worse then what we had before.

The funny thing is it's the same people saying this same stuff year after year and every coaching change. Odds are they have to be right one of these years. Hopefully for the sake of our team this will be the time.

As long as we don't draft talented rookies to play while we're rebuilding(again) and sign some cheap scrubs every year or two to replace each other we should be in good shape.

That's funny, I see the opposite...same ol' people whining year after year.

So how is it supposed to get better? Should we have kept TD and Mularkey? Should we keep Anderson at Guard, Teague at Center and Mike Williams at RT? Your complaining about our current changes, but offer no solution other than whining. Since the Oline is so bad, should we have kept the lineup like last year???

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-16-2006, 08:18 AM
This year's team feels very 1987 like to me. Middle of the road, but on the cusp of something big.

I don't get that feeling at all at this point. It feels much more like 2000 to me.

QB uncertainty, new faces, and no clear leadership.

On the plus side, they were 8-8 that year I think.....

justasportsfan
05-16-2006, 08:53 AM

So how is it supposed to get better? Should we have kept TD and Mularkey? Should we keep Anderson at Guard, Teague at Center and Mike Williams at RT? Your complaining about our current changes, but offer no solution other than whining. Since the Oline is so bad, should we have kept the lineup like last year???
Even if we took BB. They'd have something to whine about and then say "we saw this coming the last five years" :rolleyes:

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-16-2006, 09:04 AM

Absolutely not. Those changes are/were necessary.

What troubles me is that we didn't bring in proven people.

Everybody we brought in, to a man, has question marks associated with them, from the top down.

1) GM--no experience as a GM.

2) Coaching staff-HC is not a proven winner, OC has a questionable scheme, DC is a complete guess. Some of the ancilliary staff are proven, so at least that is something.

3) Free Agents--even our best signing, Triplett, is not a proven star. I like our free agent class this year, I think our needs were addressed, but nobody really knows what we are getting plugging these guys in as full time starters.

4) Draftees---potentially good.....but as with any draft, loaded with unknowns.

Maybe it is a result of too many years of misplaced hopes, broken promises, etc etc.

But for once....just once.....I would like to see the Bills slam dunk on a personnel move.

The last slam dunk I recall was Takeo Spikes....and now there are question marks associated with him.

I have been Mr. Optimist over the past few years, but it really is wearing thin.