PDA

View Full Version : Casserly officially resigns as GM of Texans

Gunzlingr
05-10-2006, 04:46 PM
HOUSTON -- Houston Texans (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=hou) general manager Charley Casserly resigned Wednesday, ending months of speculation that intensified in recent weeks after the team used the No. 1 pick to draft defensive end Mario Williams (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7750).

Casserly had been with the Texans since the expansion franchise joined the league six years ago. The Texans played their first season in 2002.
"I've been in this league 29 years," Casserly said. "I spent a lot of time talking about this with my family. We came to the same conclusion -- the time was right to move on."
Casserly met with Texans owner Bob McNair on Wednesday morning, telling McNair he wanted to pursue a job in the NFL office in New York. He also met with the Texans' coaching staff and contacted Houston's scouts.
Casserly will officially step down on June 1.
"I have an interest in doing other things right now," Casserly said.
McNair said Casserly was not fired. He said he had no replacement candidates in mind.
"I have talked to no one. I have no list," McNair said.
<!-- non ap graf -->Candidates for the opening in Houston are expected to include former Atlanta Falcons (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=atl) personnel chief Ron Hill and current Denver Broncos (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=den) director of pro scouting Rick Smith.
The Texans went 2-14 in 2005, prompting the firing of Dom Capers, the franchise's first coach. Gary Kubiak was hired and was disappointed to see Casserly go.
"I have grown very fond of him," Kubiak said. "We had a lot of work to do to try to get this thing headed in the right direction. We've had a good four months together. I wish it would be longer, but I understand the business."
Casserly, 57, joined the Texans in 2000, after 23 years with the Washington Redskins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=was). He started with the Redskins as an unpaid intern under Hall of Fame coach George Allen and was hired as a scout the next season.
The Redskins elevated Casserly to assistant general manager in 1982, the year the franchise won its first Super Bowl. Casserly became Washington's GM in 1989.
Casserly's first big move came in 2002, when the Texans drafted David Carr (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5887). He also participated in the search that landed Kubiak.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2440274

Mitchy moo
05-10-2006, 04:54 PM
What a surprise.

chernobylwraiths
05-10-2006, 05:01 PM
LOL, he passes on Bush and Young and then quits. Nice!

JJamezz
05-10-2006, 05:18 PM
LOL, he passes on Bush and Young and then quits. Nice!

I think thats WHY he quit... sorta the last straw with a very heavy-handed owner.. From what I've heard, Casserly and Kubiak wanted Bush, but the owner forced his hand.

Dozerdog
05-10-2006, 05:24 PM
I think thats WHY he quit... sorta the last straw with a very heavy-handed owner.. From what I've heard, Casserly and Kubiak wanted Bush, but the owner forced his hand.Almost-

Kubiak is from the Denver school of "anybody can run for 1,000 yards" and wanted defense.

I think Casserly wanted Bush.

New coach, or old GM. Old GM lost out.

Night Train
05-10-2006, 05:41 PM
It was printed a couple months ago that he would probably quit after the Draft for a promised NFL job in NYC.

This is not unexpected and I think we're inventing a situation that doesn't exist. This was planned.

Mr. Cynical
05-10-2006, 07:47 PM
When Bush becomes the next Gale Sayers, this move will be very understandable. You just don't pass up on a guy like that and Casserly has every right to be pissed if he was forced to pick Mario.

Dozerdog
05-10-2006, 07:49 PM
When Bush becomes the next Gale Sayers, this move will be very understandable. You just don't pass up on a guy like that and Casserly has every right to be pissed if he was forced to pick Mario.I'd rather have the next Bruce Smith for 10-12 years than the next Gayle Sayers for 5-7 years

RBs aren't durable.

Mr. Cynical
05-10-2006, 07:53 PM
I'd rather have the next Bruce Smith for 10-12 years than the next Gayle Sayers for 5-7 years

RBs aren't durable.

Different era. Players don't stay on teams for 12 years anymore. The best you can hope for is typically 5-7, so the durability factor of an RB becomes less of an issue. I'd rather have a Sayers.

Dozerdog
05-10-2006, 07:55 PM
They don't stay on the team only if you choose not to sign them.

Your Gayle Sayers could be long gone under the same scenario.

Dozerdog
05-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Bush would bew worth it if he wa son the field for 40-50 snaps a game.

I don't see him getting 25-30 carries a game

Captain gameboy
05-10-2006, 08:00 PM
When an executive knows that his best days are behind him........
When he knows he has reached the pinnacle, indeed the apex of professional existance...

That he can do no more good, never quite get back the magical moment...

Then, my friends it is time to move on. Indeed, to seek other challenges...

Charlie reached that fork in the road today.

Oh it was quiet. Just a few even observed, and they without passion or editorial comment.
But it was obvious nonetheless.

Today, the Texans signed Antowain Smith...

Today Charley Casserly left the team.

Enough said.

Yes sadly, but poignantly...Enough said.

Jeff1220
05-10-2006, 08:38 PM
We pick on PFT.com a lot here, but we should give 'em props when they're due. They've been reporting this whole situation/scenario for a couple of weeks. Good job PFT!

Scumbag College
05-10-2006, 08:46 PM
What happened to the GM of the New Jersey Nets who picked Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan?

Bulldog
05-11-2006, 07:44 AM
When Bush becomes the next Gale Sayers, this move will be very understandable. You just don't pass up on a guy like that and Casserly has every right to be pissed if he was forced to pick Mario.

Reggie Bush = Warrick Dunn

Bill Brasky
05-11-2006, 12:38 PM
When an executive knows that his best days are behind him........
When he knows he has reached the pinnacle, indeed the apex of professional existance...

That he can do no more good, never quite get back the magical moment...

Then, my friends it is time to move on. Indeed, to seek other challenges...

Charlie reached that fork in the road today.

Oh it was quiet. Just a few even observed, and they without passion or editorial comment.
But it was obvious nonetheless.

Today, the Texans signed Antowain Smith...

Today Charley Casserly left the team.

Enough said.

Yes sadly, but poignantly...Enough said.

:rofl:

Mr. Cynical
05-11-2006, 08:48 PM
They don't stay on the team only if you choose not to sign them.

Your Gayle Sayers could be long gone under the same scenario.

Not really. You normally sign a 4 year contract and then maybe a back loaded 5-10 one. Which means you will at least get 6-7 years before a superstar would typically ask for more $$$ or get traded.

So no, Gale would still be on the team for long enough to make the run a couple of times.