PDA

View Full Version : Posey at DE?

Don't Panic
05-11-2006, 07:04 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/05/jeff-posey-bills110506.html

Pretty intersting idea... would be a way to get Crowell on the field a litttle more if Spikes is healthy. Would also keep our DE's fresh for the 4th quarter. He is light, but I could see him bulking up 10-15 pounds before opening day if they were serious about trying it.

McGahee420
05-11-2006, 08:24 AM
I would like to see them entertain this. It would be pretty interesting. I mean if he can pass the rusher well, then why not let him do it. If he ends up better than denney and kelsey, they could be awesome. Hes pretty tall (if I am correct too) so he could bat the ball down a few more time. This could rejuvenate his career and make him a great asset to the team. But only time will tell, I am all for it.

BuffaloBillsStampede
05-11-2006, 08:57 AM
No reason not to try it really, Kelsay isn't looking like the answer over there, and I think most of us favor Crowell over Posey at OLB so we might as well get some use out of him.

BillsNick
05-11-2006, 09:32 AM
The only problem that we have is that Posey SUCKS. :cynic:

It doesn't matter where you put him, he will suck either way.

Stewie
05-11-2006, 10:35 AM
I love this idea. In the right situation, he seems like a good player to design a few defensive plays around. He can drop off a 3 point stance into the flat or a soft zone much quicker than a typical DE... Allowing all sorts of creative blitz packages with our new stud SS and our old stud MLB. If he can hold up against the draw or a run on 2nd and long plays, his presence as a pass-rusher-hybrid on the line will require offenses to account for him.

Marvelous
05-11-2006, 10:49 AM
I unno. Kelsay started to get good pressure but i'm not sure if he'll improve..Denney seems to always get pressure when he spells. Or rotates in. Thank god for preseason :luck:

Hamilton Billsfan
05-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Posey, all 241lbs of him at "DE".....hmmmmm......
Sounds like a 3-4 D without a Nose Tackle!

justasportsfan
05-11-2006, 02:11 PM
don't NE and miami run a 3-4. Not sure about Saban but I'm almost sure that BB could use him. If BB can win a couple of Sb with Antwan Smith, he probably could get Posey to sack the hell out of our qb.

madness
05-11-2006, 02:40 PM

Although he's only 241 pounds, the left defensive end position could be a good place for Posey to transition. Currently, the Bills' strikingly unspectacular duo at that particular spot includes Ryan Denney and Chris Kelsay, two ex-second-rounders who have failed to live up to their draft status. Because of that, it might be worthwhile for Fewell, and head coach Dick Jauron, to at least give Posey a crack at the position. If he fails, then cut the cord on the experiment and simply move on.
Since most defensive ends are at least 260 pounds, many may be viewing this idea as a joke. However, given the fact that the Bills' new "Tampa 2" defensive scheme does require smaller, quicker linemen, it may be a novel idea. One of the notable "Tampa 2" defenses in the league belongs to the eternally tremendous <A class=macros href="http://colts.realfootball365.com/"><ACRONYM title="Indianapolis Colts News">Indianapolis Colts</ACRONYM> . Much like the Bills, they possess small, fast linemen with the know-how and quickness to stymie opposing offenses.
Guess how much one of the Colts' main defensive ends weighs? 250? 260? Nope. 235. Of course, I'm speaking of one of the NFL's most underrated sack artists, Robert Mathis. The 25-year-old has silently accumulated a whopping 22 sacks over the last two seasons, including 10.5 in 2004 and 11.5 in 2005. Mathis was viewed as an upstart as an end, but he's done more than enough to prove his critics wrong.
Since Posey outweighs the successful Mathis by six pounds, there's no reason why he can't experience the same type of on-field triumphs. Posey is a solid leader and an asset to the Bills' locker room, making it prudent for the defensive coaching staff to keep him involved on the field. Rushing the passer is his strength, and it's something the Buffalo Bills' defense is weak at, so he'd certainly fill a need area.

pintonick96
05-11-2006, 03:59 PM
I personalkly have been waiting for this to happen for a while.

Hamilton Billsfan
05-11-2006, 06:06 PM
I understand that Posey may be quite effective as a smallish DE, it seems to be a trend on NFL defenses. Just as 1-Gap DTs are in vogue, DEs that are quicker and more penetrating than in the past seem to offer new unseen tactics for the defense. I wasn't slagging Posey as a DE. I was commenting on the fact that we don't have any Ted Washington types on this year's team! Look, you can call a OLB a DE,...a rose by any other name.........

Hamilton Billsfan
05-11-2006, 06:19 PM
BTW,

As a Ti-Cat fan as well as a Bills Fan, I know first hand the effectiveness of turning a pure LB into a DE, There was a guy named Joe Montford and The coaches moved him from LB to DE over 10 years ago. The rest is history, He owns the carreer sack record and was the prototype trendsetter for this position. Montford always had a one or two monster DT's with him on the line though. they were expected to keep the rest of the o-line tied up while he did his work.

I never thought that this trend would have made an impact in the NFL, it would stay in the CFL given the size of the players. Also, I was spoiled by watching Bruce Smith week in, week out. Maybe this explains why Indy didn't make a bigger effort to keep Tripplet?