Reasons for playoff optimism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stewie
    Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
    • Aug 2002

Reasons for playoff optimism

Linebackers: we have a good crew without Spikes and a great one with him. Fletcher is the glue, and he's going to be a leader in the cover-2

Secondary: should be outstanding this year. Clements has the skills to make up for Whitners rookie mistakes, and he will make a few. Hopefully Nate will get his 10 picks and Ralph gives him a good deal that makes him highest paid on paper, and top-5 annually in reality.

D-Line: Tripplett is a solid, young vet who had two 240 pound DE's bookending him in Indy. He will allow McCargo to see a lot of on-on-one's. Schoebel is good for 10 sacks and he seems to have outplayed his streaky tendencies.

WR: Speed, speed speed. When Peerless Price, is your 4th fastest receiver, you have a track team. Lee Evans is a freaking stud.

RB: McGahee, and good depth.

OL: Bills FO finally upgrades the group from flat out stinky.

To summarize: great cover-2 defense coupled with solid running game and average passing game = good shot at playoffs.
    Originally posted by Topdog
    Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
    Originally posted by mercyrule
    I love Weiner.
    Originally posted by mercyrule
    also cheese
  • MVP
    Bring The Pain
    • Apr 2006

Re: Reasons for playoff optimism

Thank You!

Comment

• Jeff1220
      H to the 12:20
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by paulB
      Linebackers: we have a good crew without Spikes and a great one with him. Fletcher is the glue, and he's going to be a leader in the cover-2

Secondary: should be outstanding this year. Clements has the skills to make up for Whitners rookie mistakes, and he will make a few. Hopefully Nate will get his 10 picks and Ralph gives him a good deal that makes him highest paid on paper, and top-5 annually in reality.

D-Line: Tripplett is a solid, young vet who had two 240 pound DE's bookending him in Indy. He will allow McCargo to see a lot of on-on-one's. Schoebel is good for 10 sacks and he seems to have outplayed his streaky tendencies.

WR: Speed, speed speed. When Peerless Price, is your 4th fastest receiver, you have a track team. Lee Evans is a freaking stud.

RB: McGahee, and good depth.

OL: Bills FO finally upgrades the group from flat out stinky.

To summarize: great cover-2 defense coupled with solid running game and average passing game = good shot at playoffs.

I like to be optimistic, but I think that talking playoffs is a bit premature at this point. There's no reason to believe that the D will be great just because it will implement a new scheme. Ranked #29 (I think) last year, I'll be happy with a big improvement. I wouln't hold my breath on an improvement in the passing game either. Hopefully JPL will mature and the running game will be more consistant, but who knows?
      However, to add a little to the optimism, you could also argue that the Bills are in a better position this year than last since the Jets are still bad, the Pats are (on paper) quite a bit weaker, and Miami is still Miami (those games are usually a battle no matter what). So anyhting could happen I guess.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
        • Mar 2005

I knew this was coming. Can we be realistic for one moment. This is a total rebuilding year. Our OL has not improved, our DL still won't be able to create the kind of pass rush we need to help our secondary. We have no solution at QB and I hope that if it is JP that people remember it is a rebuilding year, and not a playoff year. McGahee, has a lot to prove because he flat out stunk in the 2nd half of the year. Considering we have had a non existant TE in our offense, and Royal isn't much of a receiver, our second year rookie is our only hope. Playoffs???

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
          Pinkerton's son
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
          I knew this was coming. Can we be realistic for one moment. This is a total rebuilding year. Our OL has not improved, our DL still won't be able to create the kind of pass rush we need to help our secondary. We have no solution at QB and I hope that if it is JP that people remember it is a rebuilding year, and not a playoff year. McGahee, has a lot to prove because he flat out stunk in the 2nd half of the year. Considering we have had a non existant TE in our offense, and Royal isn't much of a receiver, our second year rookie is our only hope. Playoffs???
          There's a reason the thread is called reasons for playoff "optimism". I know some people have a hard time seeing the good in things, but the reason for this thread to be posted is said in the title of it. If it had said playoff pessimism, then he prolly would have said its a rebuilding year. I may not even agree with the fact that we have a "good shot" at the playoffs, but I agree with his optimism.

Thanks for the thread paul.

Comment

• Mudflap1
            Next Question!
            • Nov 2004

I'm all for keeping your head up and being optimistic, but this is nowhere near a playoff team, not even close.

Jon

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mudflap1
              I'm all for keeping your head up and being optimistic, but this is nowhere near a playoff team, not even close.

Jon
              I agree. Some people just expect instant gratification which is unrealistic.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
                • Jan 2004

Lee Evans is a freaking stud.
                ........ wow dude.....

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

where did you purchase your crystal ball at? oh.. and can i get the loto numbers for next week?
                  "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• HAMMER
                    I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                    • Jul 2003

New schemes on both sides of the ball usually does not equal playoffs.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                      I agree. Some people just expect instant gratification which is unrealistic.
                      Wow, we agree on something!!

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Tatonka
                        where did you purchase your crystal ball at? oh.. and can i get the loto numbers for next week?
                        $1,000 says the Bills don't make the playoffs. I'll donate my winnings to any local charity in your name!!

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

How is the O-line not improved? Fowler is an upgrade over Teague and Reyes is an upgrade over Bennie, thats 2 spots where we had major weaknesses and are now filled by proven starters in the league. And if theres doubts about Fowler, he was the Vikings centre the time they went on that winning streak at the end of the season. They ran well and Brad Johnson had time, a C must have something to do with that.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi
                            How is the O-line not improved? Fowler is an upgrade over Teague and Reyes is an upgrade over Bennie, thats 2 spots where we had major weaknesses and are now filled by proven starters in the league. And if theres doubts about Fowler, he was the Vikings centre the time they went on that winning streak at the end of the season. They ran well and Brad Johnson had time, a C must have something to do with that.
                            Is Reyes replacing Anderson? Fowler is a posible upgrade. I thought Teague stunk.

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

$1,000 says the Bills don't make the playoffs. I'll donate my winnings to any local charity in your name!!
                              while i agree that we probably wont.. i am not going to guarentee anything..

but you can probably afford to donate 1000 with those lotto winnings!
                              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                              X