PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for playoff optimism

Stewie
05-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Linebackers: we have a good crew without Spikes and a great one with him. Fletcher is the glue, and he's going to be a leader in the cover-2

Secondary: should be outstanding this year. Clements has the skills to make up for Whitners rookie mistakes, and he will make a few. Hopefully Nate will get his 10 picks and Ralph gives him a good deal that makes him highest paid on paper, and top-5 annually in reality.

D-Line: Tripplett is a solid, young vet who had two 240 pound DE's bookending him in Indy. He will allow McCargo to see a lot of on-on-one's. Schoebel is good for 10 sacks and he seems to have outplayed his streaky tendencies.

WR: Speed, speed speed. When Peerless Price, is your 4th fastest receiver, you have a track team. Lee Evans is a freaking stud.

RB: McGahee, and good depth.

OL: Bills FO finally upgrades the group from flat out stinky.

To summarize: great cover-2 defense coupled with solid running game and average passing game = good shot at playoffs.

MVP
05-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Thank You!

Jeff1220
05-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Linebackers: we have a good crew without Spikes and a great one with him. Fletcher is the glue, and he's going to be a leader in the cover-2

Secondary: should be outstanding this year. Clements has the skills to make up for Whitners rookie mistakes, and he will make a few. Hopefully Nate will get his 10 picks and Ralph gives him a good deal that makes him highest paid on paper, and top-5 annually in reality.

D-Line: Tripplett is a solid, young vet who had two 240 pound DE's bookending him in Indy. He will allow McCargo to see a lot of on-on-one's. Schoebel is good for 10 sacks and he seems to have outplayed his streaky tendencies.

WR: Speed, speed speed. When Peerless Price, is your 4th fastest receiver, you have a track team. Lee Evans is a freaking stud.

RB: McGahee, and good depth.

OL: Bills FO finally upgrades the group from flat out stinky.

To summarize: great cover-2 defense coupled with solid running game and average passing game = good shot at playoffs.

I like to be optimistic, but I think that talking playoffs is a bit premature at this point. There's no reason to believe that the D will be great just because it will implement a new scheme. Ranked #29 (I think) last year, I'll be happy with a big improvement. I wouln't hold my breath on an improvement in the passing game either. Hopefully JPL will mature and the running game will be more consistant, but who knows?
However, to add a little to the optimism, you could also argue that the Bills are in a better position this year than last since the Jets are still bad, the Pats are (on paper) quite a bit weaker, and Miami is still Miami (those games are usually a battle no matter what). So anyhting could happen I guess.

HHURRICANE
05-11-2006, 11:10 AM

I knew this was coming. Can we be realistic for one moment. This is a total rebuilding year. Our OL has not improved, our DL still won't be able to create the kind of pass rush we need to help our secondary. We have no solution at QB and I hope that if it is JP that people remember it is a rebuilding year, and not a playoff year. McGahee, has a lot to prove because he flat out stunk in the 2nd half of the year. Considering we have had a non existant TE in our offense, and Royal isn't much of a receiver, our second year rookie is our only hope. Playoffs???

Pinkerton Security
05-11-2006, 11:27 AM
I knew this was coming. Can we be realistic for one moment. This is a total rebuilding year. Our OL has not improved, our DL still won't be able to create the kind of pass rush we need to help our secondary. We have no solution at QB and I hope that if it is JP that people remember it is a rebuilding year, and not a playoff year. McGahee, has a lot to prove because he flat out stunk in the 2nd half of the year. Considering we have had a non existant TE in our offense, and Royal isn't much of a receiver, our second year rookie is our only hope. Playoffs???

There's a reason the thread is called reasons for playoff "optimism". I know some people have a hard time seeing the good in things, but the reason for this thread to be posted is said in the title of it. If it had said playoff pessimism, then he prolly would have said its a rebuilding year. I may not even agree with the fact that we have a "good shot" at the playoffs, but I agree with his optimism.

Thanks for the thread paul.

Mudflap1
05-11-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm all for keeping your head up and being optimistic, but this is nowhere near a playoff team, not even close.

Jon

justasportsfan
05-11-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm all for keeping your head up and being optimistic, but this is nowhere near a playoff team, not even close.

Jon I agree. Some people just expect instant gratification which is unrealistic.

Bill Brasky
05-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Lee Evans is a freaking stud.

........ wow dude..... :limp:

Tatonka
05-11-2006, 12:57 PM

where did you purchase your crystal ball at? oh.. and can i get the loto numbers for next week?

HAMMER
05-11-2006, 01:14 PM
New schemes on both sides of the ball usually does not equal playoffs.

HHURRICANE
05-11-2006, 01:18 PM
I agree. Some people just expect instant gratification which is unrealistic.

Wow, we agree on something!!

HHURRICANE
05-11-2006, 01:19 PM
where did you purchase your crystal ball at? oh.. and can i get the loto numbers for next week?

$1,000 says the Bills don't make the playoffs. I'll donate my winnings to any local charity in your name!!

Mahdi
05-11-2006, 01:19 PM
How is the O-line not improved? Fowler is an upgrade over Teague and Reyes is an upgrade over Bennie, thats 2 spots where we had major weaknesses and are now filled by proven starters in the league. And if theres doubts about Fowler, he was the Vikings centre the time they went on that winning streak at the end of the season. They ran well and Brad Johnson had time, a C must have something to do with that.

HHURRICANE
05-11-2006, 01:32 PM
How is the O-line not improved? Fowler is an upgrade over Teague and Reyes is an upgrade over Bennie, thats 2 spots where we had major weaknesses and are now filled by proven starters in the league. And if theres doubts about Fowler, he was the Vikings centre the time they went on that winning streak at the end of the season. They ran well and Brad Johnson had time, a C must have something to do with that.

Is Reyes replacing Anderson? Fowler is a posible upgrade. I thought Teague stunk.

Tatonka
05-11-2006, 02:40 PM
$1,000 says the Bills don't make the playoffs. I'll donate my winnings to any local charity in your name!!

while i agree that we probably wont.. i am not going to guarentee anything..

but you can probably afford to donate 1000 with those lotto winnings! :D

Night Train
05-11-2006, 02:50 PM
I agree. Some people just expect instant gratification which is unrealistic.

Unless you have $60 ! :lol:

Stewie
05-11-2006, 03:18 PM
I don't think we're going to make the playoffs. But I think we're a 7-9 team, which is some smart coaching, batted balls, and lucky breaks shy of the postseason.

John Doe
05-11-2006, 03:23 PM
The playoffs are entirely possible.

Anyone who believes otherwise is not being objective.

FlyingDutchman
05-11-2006, 06:35 PM
I wont say never, however I felt better going into a season last year at this time and look how it turned out. This sounds like the same recipe dreamed up last year. "Our defense being good along with a solid rushing game should be enough to win"...thats all i heard last year at this time and you cant sell it to me this time because nothing went down like it was supposed to.

Im not saying its impossible and that we dont have a chance to be good. I just wouldnt get my hopes ups. We havent been able to win any big games in years, and until proven different, its the same old Bills. I just look to this season to help JP grow and be consistant so we can be on the verge of consistant contenders in the near future.

Dont drink the water
05-11-2006, 06:45 PM
How about absolutely best special teams?

Nublar7
05-11-2006, 08:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM&search=jim%20mora

ICE74129
05-11-2006, 08:48 PM

Jon

Thank you. Nice to see some reality posted.

John Doe
05-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Thank you. Nice to see some reality posted.

The reality is that the playoffs are possible.

BuffaloBillsStampede
05-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Do you think anyone expected the f***ing bears to be in the playoffs last year because I sure didn't. There are always a couple teams that surprise everyone, and who is to say it can't be the Buffalo Bills this year?

Mudflap1
05-11-2006, 11:38 PM
The Bills have very good special teams. The Bills have a lot of talent on defense (a defense that was once good in a different scheme), and has the potential to be a good defense, but has some new, young guys on the roster, and everyone has to learn a new scheme. The offense has some upgrades at some positions, but wide receiver and QB are still huge question marks. They also have to learn a whole new scheme.

The point is, there is some talent and some things to be intrigued by, but if you go team-by-team in the NFL, every team can say this. Most teams can say more. Sure, the Patriots may have lost a few guys, but for every David Givens lost, they often replace them with a Chad Jackson. How about Laurence Maroney? How pumped would we be if we drafted those two guys? Pretty pumped.

Miami isn't any more talented than we are, but they sure have a heck of a head coach. Going 9-7 last year with that roster may have been the coaching job of the year. They've improved this offseason.

The Jets are only going to get better, they had probably the best draft in the NFL.

Again, we have reason to keep our head up and cheer, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is a 6-10 team at best this year in all likelihood and in fact it could be a lot worse, like 3-13. Yes, it's true some teams turn it around and are a surprise. I think that could possibly happen next year.

Not this year though.

Jon

alohabillsfan
05-12-2006, 05:13 AM
Point 1) We have not lost any games this year! Anything can happen.

Point 2) Look what good coaching has done for Miami, maybe we have a coaching staff that can teach and make decisions.

Point 3) JP can only get better (I Hope)

I really believe that the defense will be better, (younger, faster, but will make coverage mistakes until they mature) but the unit as a whole should be fun to watch.

Special teams will be great, period.

Offense I believe we will struggle, there are to many ifs right now to consider our offense in the top 20, LG, C, QB, TE and WR yes we have plenty of WR's on the roster but are they any good and can we find a real good #2 and#3?

Bottom line is JP has to really progress quickly (given the new playbook, could be slow) Reyes needs to be LG ( we know what Bennie offers) Fowler at center is got to be an upgrade over Teague., Evertt needs to be healthy.

So we worked on fixing the D, ST's, Offense currently (maybe) still broke.

Mr. Pink
05-12-2006, 06:41 AM
The reality is that the playoffs are possible.

As is a dinosaur walking through your backyard as you read this.

justasportsfan
05-12-2006, 06:53 AM
The reality is that the playoffs are possible.anything is possible but I wouldn't bet on it.

Every expert out there like media and fans expected a 2-14 chargers team to finish last again were to be made to look like ,well fans and media when they went to the playoffs the very next year. So anything is possible..

What about a very young team in rebuild mode like the Buffalo Sabres? anything is defnitely possible .

feelthepain
05-12-2006, 09:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM&search=jim%20mora

Classic!!!

McGahee420
05-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Do you think anyone expected the f***ing bears to be in the playoffs last year because I sure didn't. There are always a couple teams that surprise everyone, and who is to say it can't be the Buffalo Bills this year?

:clap: :beers: Thats how I feel. We are under the radar, and thats how I like it. Look at the Sabres now too, no one thought they would be where they are today either. I mean its not going to be easy, but its not unlikely.

Stewie
05-12-2006, 10:26 AM
We have more talent on this team than dick jauron's 13-3 team from a few years ago... They were realistically a 9-7 or 10-6 team, but they got a lot of lucky breaks (Mike Brown got most of them).

Anything is possible

John Doe
05-12-2006, 05:11 PM
We have more talent on this team than dick jauron's 13-3 team from a few years ago... They were realistically a 9-7 or 10-6 team, but they got a lot of lucky breaks (Mike Brown got most of them).

Anything is possible

That is the unbiased truth.

Anyone who says that there is no possibility that the Bills will make the playoffs is looking through a jaundiced eye.

patmoran2006
05-12-2006, 09:07 PM
PLAYOFFS?? PLAYOFFS?

Where is JIM MORA??

HAMMER
05-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Buffalo blew five 4th quarter leads last year. Why, or better yet, how does that happen? Perhaps the players and the coaching staff will be better prepared to dig deep late in games next year.

shelby
05-12-2006, 10:01 PM
i still Billieve.

MTBillsFan
05-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Red Zone production and being effective on 3rd will help out a ton. Keep our D on the side lines for a break now and then. ALSO stopping teams on 3rd down. Key to our season. We do those things, we'll be much improved and fighting for a playoff spot!

GO BILLS!

goodkarma
05-13-2006, 03:45 PM
Bills will draft at 8 or better in 2007.

BuffaloBillsStampede
05-13-2006, 04:37 PM
We had the Panthers against the wall for a while there, we beat the Chiefs, we should have had the Patsies in Chowderville, you would assume Kelly Holcomb wouldn't throw 4 picks against the Jets in the last game of the season, we beat a great team in Cincy, and I hate to mention that dolphins game in Miami. there are 4 games that could have very easily gone our way, and we would be getting all the hype the Dolphins are right now for no reason. If you remember two years ago when we pushed for the playoffs all offseason I heard the "experts" predict us for a wild card. The truth is nobody knows from season to season what will happen. Players lose from year to year, injuries happen, and teams don't get all the lucky breaks they did a year ago. Anything can happen, and if you don't think so ask Drew Brees.