PDA

View Full Version : Q & A with Jim McNally

ParanoidAndroid
05-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Periodically Buffalobills.com will sit down with one of the members of Dick Jauron's staff to check in on developments concerning their position group or side of the ball. In this installment Lead Journalist Chris Brown got an update on the handle offensive line coach Jim McNally has on his men up front. With eight new linemen from last year and only a couple of offseason OTAs in the bag McNally is still getting a feel for his linemen, but had some candid responses as well. http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3758

I like what he has to say and he doesn't sugar coat much either. I think we have the right coaches to finally put a line together.

TigerJ
05-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Good interview. You're right, at least McNally comes across as being very straight forward. He didn't volunteer anything on Anderson's future at LG though. You really can't expect him to, but It would be nice to hear that he's been replaced.

ParanoidAndroid
05-11-2006, 10:12 PM
I think his comment about Reyes is a bit of foreshadowing. It looks to me that they are looking to build a more athletic line. Reyes has that over Anderson.

ICE74129
05-11-2006, 10:54 PM
"JM: It probably is high turnover, but most of that turnover has come from the backups and reserves. There hasn't been as much turnover among the starters from last year. The only starter that's changed right now is Trey Teague."

That right there says Anderson is still the starter at LG, which means whomever is at QB gets killed.

G. Host
05-11-2006, 11:05 PM
"JM: It probably is high turnover, but most of that turnover has come from the backups and reserves. There hasn't been as much turnover among the starters from last year. The only starter that's changed right now is Trey Teague.".

Yes if he does not block Vincent from sacking Losman again.

He said now. He also said in article that starters have their position until they lose it in camp.

JM: Soon. I would say hopefully after these OTAs. Maybe we go one or two days in pads at training camp to see if there was some question. I think what you want to do is give every guy on your team a chance. If some guy has been a starter you want to give him the opportunity in a full-blown pads situation before you move someone ahead of him necessarily. That might not always be the case. You're not worried about hurting people's feelings because you want to get the best players on the field, but in fairness to guys that have worked hard and have been starters you give them the first crack and then may the best man win.

Same thing people want with QB, etc.

Tatonka
05-11-2006, 11:18 PM
sucks to think about.. but moving forward.. gibson could be our RT that replaces Peters after this year, when he is a UFA.

G. Host
05-11-2006, 11:47 PM
sucks to think about.. but moving forward.. gibson could be our RT that replaces Peters after this year, when he is a UFA.

He is a EFA, I think, so Bills have rights for one more year. If it *IS NOT* true then sit Peters down if Gibson is ready to play and ready to sign a long term deal, if this is a rebuilding year as some state. If it is good for veterans who started last year, it is good for the player which we will get no compensation for since he was an UDFA.

ParanoidAndroid
05-12-2006, 12:27 AM
"JM: It probably is high turnover, but most of that turnover has come from the backups and reserves. There hasn't been as much turnover among the starters from last year. The only starter that's changed right now is Trey Teague."

That right there says Anderson is still the starter at LG, which means whomever is at QB gets killed.

"right now" also "Tutan (Reyes) and Aaron Gibson I've only had for a short time. I would say that Reyes and Fowler look to be very athletic as far as in space and pulling is concerned. They have good quickness. Their athletic skills and movement in space are good."

With no opportunity to really evaluate how Reyes fits so far, Anderson is still #1 on the depth chart. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Reyes will be the starter by the end of camp at the latest.

ICE74129
05-12-2006, 06:45 AM

He said now. He also said in article that starters have their position until they lose it in camp.

Thats funny, the 16 games I watched last season Anderson couldn't block a girlscout.

ICE74129
05-12-2006, 06:46 AM
"right now" also "Tutan (Reyes) and Aaron Gibson I've only had for a short time. I would say that Reyes and Fowler look to be very athletic as far as in space and pulling is concerned. They have good quickness. Their athletic skills and movement in space are good."

With no opportunity to really evaluate how Reyes fits so far, Anderson is still #1 on the depth chart. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Reyes will be the starter by the end of camp at the latest.

We better hope so.

jamze132
05-12-2006, 07:12 AM
Barring and injuries, the Opening Day will look like this on the line:

LT - Gandy
LG - Reyes
C - Fowler
RG - Villareal
RT - Peters

This unit should be together for about a month before the season starts due to Anderson sucking. He will be replaced after the first 2-3 days on Training Camp. Unfortunatly, he will stay on our roster for depth.

ryjam282
05-12-2006, 07:47 AM
Good interview. It does seem that they haven't supplanted Anderson at LG just yet. His comment about seeing guys in pads before moving a backup ahead of a starter, to me just means that Anderson is on his way down but they want to give him one last shot.

I like the comments about Fowler and Reyes being athletic on pulls and things and the comments about Villareal and Peters domination on the right side during run plays.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-12-2006, 08:42 AM
I look at it this way. I don't care who is starting, as long as the best 5 guys are there. If Anderson is much improved for some reason, he should start. I wouldn't count on Anderson being a starter, however.

ParanoidAndroid
05-12-2006, 08:56 AM

LT - Gandy
LG - Reyes
C - Fowler
RG - Villareal
RT - Peters

This unit should be together for about a month before the season starts due to Anderson sucking. He will be replaced after the first 2-3 days on Training Camp. Unfortunatly, he will stay on our roster for depth.

I agree... This is my thinking as well. Anderson doesn't completely suck though. He just isn't fast and misses assignments sometimes. If he gets his hands inside on someone, they pretty much go nowhere or backwards. His lack of recoverability, lack of ability to pull and his overall sluggishness are what make me really sour on him. He's a back-up and nothing more and will hopefully be less soon.

Mahdi
05-12-2006, 09:01 AM

IMO saying this is better than saying that one has a leg up on the other. You keep all the O-linemen on their toes and working hard for a starting spot. Then you will have players playing at their best to choose from.

Forward_Lateral
05-12-2006, 01:49 PM
I don't give a crap if the guys are athletic or not, the question is, can they block anyone?

justasportsfan
05-12-2006, 03:18 PM

LT - Gandy
LG - Reyes
C - Fowler
RG - Villareal
RT - Peters

By week two it could look like this

LT - Gandy
LG - Reyes
C - Fowler
RG - Preston
RT - Peters

Villarial out due to injury :ill:

GarnOFreak
05-12-2006, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamze132

LT - Gandy
LG - Reyes
C - Fowler
RG - Villareal
RT - Peters

LT - Gandy
LG - Reyes
C - Fowler
RG - Preston
RT - Peters

Villarial out due to injury

actually, it could be more like this and I wouldn't be unhappy....

LT - Peters
LG - Gandy
C - Fowler
RG - Reyes
RT - Gibson

patmoran2006
05-12-2006, 05:04 PM
what's this talk about jason Peters being gone after this?

1_ I"m ALMOST positive we control him for another year.

2- If he plays as well as I think he's going too, he's going to be priority number one next year to resign.. NOT Nate Clements.. Thats why we took Youboty, we dont have another Peters waiting.. Hell, tell ya what, dont be shocked to see a transition tag thrown his way next year (If I am wrong about us owning his rights for one more).

They're not just going to let Peters walk as they will with nate.

billsburgh
05-12-2006, 11:52 PM

LT - Gandy
LG - Reyes
C - Fowler
RG - Preston
RT - Peters

Villarial out due to injury :ill:
sad, but true.

jamze132
05-13-2006, 05:00 PM
When I made my prediction, I forget about the "sand in the clit" syndrome that Villarial has come down with. Vincent might get a good shot on him during OTAs.

Mr. Cynical
05-13-2006, 05:07 PM

LT - Gandy
LG - Reyes
C - Fowler
RG - Villareal
RT - Peters

our oline :spank: oppposing teams' dlines

STAMPY
05-13-2006, 11:09 PM
butler!!!!!!

Goobylal
05-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Yeah Anderson is CURRENTLY the starter, but that's only out of courtesy. With him missing some time during last weekend's rookie mini-camp, Reyes has probably unofficially moved ahead of him and will start off the next camp at #1 at LG. If they didn't like Reyes, as a starter, they wouldn't have signed him.

And I couldn't care less who starts at RG, just as long as they do a good job. I think Villy is an injury waiting to happen and would rather see a younger guy (will have to be Jason Thomas, Aaron Merz, or Dylan McFarland since they're the guys on the depth chart at RG, and not Preston) groomed there sooner rather than later.