So I was just listening to a Broncos beat reporter on ESPN Radio...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

So I was just listening to a Broncos beat reporter on ESPN Radio...

...and he said the Bills were offered a third-round pick by the Broncos in order to exchange first round picks (trade 8th for 15th overall and Denver's third). Denver wanted Leinart.

The Bills said no.

I don't really understand this. They must have REALLY liked Whitner. I really think Whitner would have been there at 15 though.

Take it for what it's worth...

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

• Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Re: So I was just listening to a Broncos beat reporter on ESPN Radio...

Third ain't enough to move that far down. Plus Miami could then give a 4th or something to move 2 spots to jump ahead of us.

Comment

• Dozerdog
      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

There were only 3 true "Hybrid" CB/safties in this draft- Huff, Whitner, and the charachter & injury flawed Allen

Despite what you hear- all 3 were coveted by a number of teams.

We chose to stay the course and select eithe rHuff or as a consolation prize- Whitner.

Miami & Detroit were looking hard at them as well. With Allen's hip and other issues- Whitner was by far the better choice.

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
        • May 2003

Originally posted by lordofgun
        I don't really understand this. They must have REALLY liked Whitner. I really think Whitner would have been there at 15 though.
        That is correct. Levy has said so a number of times. This was the player they wanted and whether or not the move was considered a reach is irrelevant because they were not going to risk losing a player they coveted.

No offense but what exactly do you not understand?

Comment

• Marvelous
          • Feb 2004

I'm pumped about Whitner and it's iffy that he would be there with the broncos pick so Marv did the right thing.. Look at how awesome our top 4 players are as of now.. I'm stoked.. All the draft gurus arwe hating because of where we took Whitner & McCagro. But i look at the Whitner,McCagro, Youboty and Simpon as a great draft. This "reach" stuff is getting a lil old.. Ya think?
          GO BILLS!!! NE
          Magical Trevor

Comment

• lordofgun
            in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Drive 4 Five
            That is correct. Levy has said so a number of times. This was the player they wanted and whether or not the move was considered a reach is irrelevant because they were not going to risk losing a player they coveted.

No offense but what exactly do you not understand?
            I would have liked them to trade down and get the extra pick. I think Whitner would have been there. What's so hard to understand about that?

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• clumping platelets

We got a 2nd rd pic in 2001 to move down to #21 from #14......3rd rd pick is not nearly enough

Comment

• Novacane
                • Jul 2002

They must not have wanted Leinart that bad if they only offered a third.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

Whitner probably WOULD have been there at 15, HOWEVER Doz brought up a good point. . At that point a team like Miami or Minnesota would have probably moved up ahead of Buffalo to take him...

Comes down to the Bills theory that they really wanted to take a safety first. IF they valued Whitner and McCargo (who they obviously knew they could get) over Bunkley and another safety, then I have no problem with Marv saying no.

BTW, Denver got a better QB anyway with Cutler than Leinart.. Secretly, I admit that Cutler was No. 2 on my Bills wish-list (behind V Davis).

Though Im sure as hell not complaining about our draft, I think its going to pay HUGE dividends for them come 2007.. F the media.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                    • Jan 2003

Only ONE person had the Bills taking Whitner, so there is a good chance that those teams wouldn't have traded down ahead of Buffalo to get him. However, I agree with Clump, a third wasn't nearly enough. Denver traded up to the Rams spot three picks later to get Cutler with that same pick.

Point is moot. No sense *****ing anymore. I am resigned to the facts now and hope he is Ed Reed.

Comment

• Goobylal
                      • Jan 2004

Yeah the third wasn't enough, and there were enough teams showing interest in Whitner (who himself said that the Ravens told him they'd be taking him with their 1st pick), that trading down that far was more likely to cause the Bills to lose him.

And Whitner is they guy they wanted at safety, not Huff and certainly not Allen.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                        H to the 12:20
                        • Jul 2002

I could care less where these guys were picked as long as they come to play!

Comment

• HAMMER
                          I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                          Whitner probably WOULD have been there at 15, HOWEVER Doz brought up a good point. . At that point a team like Miami or Minnesota would have probably moved up ahead of Buffalo to take him...

Comes down to the Bills theory that they really wanted to take a safety first. IF they valued Whitner and McCargo (who they obviously knew they could get) over Bunkley and another safety, then I have no problem with Marv saying no.

BTW, Denver got a better QB anyway with Cutler than Leinart.. Secretly, I admit that Cutler was No. 2 on my Bills wish-list (behind V Davis).

Though Im sure as hell not complaining about our draft, I think its going to pay HUGE dividends for them come 2007.. F the media.
                          I don't see why you take another mobile QB with a great arm and wait an additional couple years for him to season. I think that you wait on evaluating the player until their 25 starts in (20-30). The question becomes, will Losman win the job? If so I hope they let him play and develop, I saw throws from him that had me electrified.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

I never said it was the smartest thing to do.... Im happy with the draft.

but I would have loved to have Cutler for 2007 and beyond for I think no 1st rounder is going to much to help us as a rookie anyway. Maybe Cutler is just another Boller.. But I think he has some Jimbo qualities and could have fit in here real nice.

But for the record, I am not whining, I love the defensive aproach we took on draft weekend. It will pay off nicely in time.. Simpson and Williams in rounds 4-5 were ridiculously huge steals.

Just saying I wouldnt be *****ing either if we had taken Cutler.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• HAMMER
                              I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                              • Jul 2003

I am very pleased with the draft OBD had, strengthening the middle of our defense was crucial. Given a year to learn the system and how to play it together I see good things happening.

Comment

Working...
                              X