PDA

View Full Version : A question

Bling
05-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Why did Bills management attempt to pick up Brees, Culpepper or Harrington? Are they that confident in Losman? I'm still trying to comprehend why Nall is being considered a starter, when he's proven less than AJ Feeley. But why not any of those 3?

JJamezz
05-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Brees - too expensive, Culpepper - character issues, Harrington - sucks...

Marv thinks he may have a diamond in the rough with Nall, and its not a costly experiment to find out. He's not being considered a starter so much as its an open competition for the job - whoever wins it deserves it.

patmoran2006
05-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Brees = Too expensive, and in injury risk.
Culpepper= Too Expensive, and an injury risk

Harrington= I would have signed him before Nall.

Bulldog
05-12-2006, 09:48 PM
As stated already, both Culpepper and Brees are coming back from major injuries. I would be more concerned about Brees injury as those type of injuries seem to linger(see Pennington). And Harrington plain sucks. Maybe the change of scenery in Miami will spark something, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

BidsJr
05-12-2006, 09:50 PM
[QUOTE=Bling]Why did Bills management attempt to pick up Brees, Culpepper or Harrington? QUOTE]

We did?

I must have been asleep or passed out for the last 6 months.

Drive 4 Five
05-12-2006, 10:02 PM
I don't sense that it is a matter of having or not having confidence in J.P. Losman. Losman is largely an unknown commodity. It too soon to tell whether he is or isn't the franchise QB we hoped for when he was drafted. So why take chances? Because we already have alot invested in him and we need to find out before we make another costly investment.

That is why I agree with Jamezz's view of Craig Nall. 100%. At the very least he should push Losman to excel. Not that I think J.P. needs to be motivated. I think many have highly underestimated this young man and I fully expect him to win the job this summer. This is Losman's one and only opportunity to prove his worth to the team.

casdhf
05-12-2006, 10:04 PM
I'd be more worried about Brees' shoulder than anything.

Meathead
05-12-2006, 10:32 PM
marv is taking a calculated gamble, and a good one imo

why?

because the worst case scenario in this situation is that holcomb wins/takes the job for the bulk of the season. that right there is pretty cool because the guy is solid and usually wont lose you a game at this point in his career. that may not be spectacular but its quite valuable because that at least gives you a chance to game plan a reasonable chance for victory

a better scenario would be for one of the two other guys to step up and show they deserve the job. jp looks loaded from a talent standpoint who could dominate if he can get his head in order. nall is a classic drop-back passer who has been in a qb friendly system long enough that theres nothing left to do but show it on the field. iow hes as seasoned as you can possibly get without actually starting meaning if hes ever going to become the next hasselback its going to be now

so you start from good to even better to awesome. not a bad bet at all

plus these guys are all reasonably priced, meaning you could keep all three the whole season, even increasing the odds that somebody will develop into the man by the end of the year going into 2007

yet another advantage is this allows marv to build other areas of the team. to have a realistic shot at getting a qb starter you usually have to use a top 3 round pick to draft one. in those rounds they obviously got the man they wanted in whitner, the guy they wanted enough to trade up for in mcjumbo and what look to be two db steals that could solidfy the entire backfield for a half decade or more

so all in all a great strategy by levy. given that i personally feel losman is more likely to bloom than wilt i like the move even more

Mr.Reality
05-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Brees, I don't know. The other two, I suspect they were trying to stand between Miami and a title.

Pinkerton Security
05-13-2006, 12:13 AM
because the worst case scenario in this situation is that holcomb wins/takes the job for the bulk of the season. that right there is pretty cool because the guy is solid and usually wont lose you a game at this point in his career. that may not be spectacular but its quite valuable because that at least gives you a chance to game plan a reasonable chance for victory

I agree with what you're saying, but I also think that Holcomb can't really WIN you a game either.

SquishDaFish
05-13-2006, 05:17 AM
Culpepper = Overrated Injury Prone Character Flawed and OVER PAID

Harrington = Bust and crap QB

Brees = Injury risk also overpaid.

And we are invested in Losman and deservers a chance. Will turn out to be something watch and see

Nall is just a shot int he dark. Because a few diamonds came from GB backups

jamze132
05-13-2006, 06:52 AM
Why did Bills management attempt to pick up Brees, Culpepper or Harrington? Are they that confident in Losman? I'm still trying to comprehend why Nall is being considered a starter, when he's proven less than AJ Feeley. But why not any of those 3?
Brady Quinn

acehole
05-13-2006, 10:49 AM
In my opinion it is a win win.

If or anybody sucks...they A. get a good draft position....and b nobody will say anything if they go out and get some hevey metal. Does anybody have a list of FA qb's for next year? If any of them work out they look like gurus....

Bling
05-13-2006, 12:49 PM
So it sounds like a bunch of you are ready for the Bills to tank the year?

justasportsfan
05-13-2006, 01:05 PM
So it sounds like a bunch of you are ready for the Bills to tank the year?how is not taking injured qb's tanking a season?

Bling
05-13-2006, 01:10 PM
how is not taking injured qb's tanking a season?

I'm really beginning to question that move... a 2nd rounder? A little bit of desperation from Saban? But when he's able to play, he's better than anyone on the Bills roster. Harrington is a low risk-big reward, and imo, as good as Frerotte, probably better. I'm not totally worried, but our season depends on Culpepper.

Meathead
05-13-2006, 03:56 PM
personally i woulda loved to have been the team to give cpep his next shot. can randy moss really make any qb THAT good, i doubt it

jamze132
05-13-2006, 04:20 PM
personally i woulda loved to have been the team to give cpep his next shot. can randy moss really make any qb THAT good, i doubt it
Culpecker will never be the same without Moss. And sorry Phish fans, Chambers ain't no Moss.

SquishDaFish
05-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Moss made him. Hes a decent QB prob better then Feeley and Ferotte. But hes not one of the top 5-8 QBs in the NFL sorry.

YardRat
05-13-2006, 04:34 PM
I agree with Meat and most others...

1. Culpepper and Brees...overpaid and injured.
2. Harrington...sucks. I'll take any of the three we have right now over him.
3. Best of all worlds...JP doesn't get unceremoniously dumped without getting a chance to prove himself beyond last year's performance and circumstances...Holcomb is a proven, capable starter as a stop-gap measure if both youngsters crap their diapers...Nall is a low-investment, low risk/high reward gamble worth taking.

If Culpepper or Brees especially, maybe even Harrington, were signed it would send the signal that the new guy is automatically the starter, JP can't cut it and wouldn't be given the chance to prove otherwise, and Holcomb is what some believe him to be-nothing more than a career back-up.

I like the competition and think the team will benefit in the long run from it regardless of who ends up as the starting QB this year.

!Papacrunk!
05-14-2006, 06:28 AM
One note about the Culpepper w/o Moss situation--how has Moss been w/o Culpepper? Last year he had his lowest amount of yards ever in his career (playing a complete 16 game schedule,) 2nd lowest amount of yards his total career (which is now including 2004 when he only played 13 games.) Also last year w/o Culpepper, Moss' touchdown total were 2nd to last at 8 touchdowns for Moss' career. So it would seem that Moss, who is one of the greatest to play at his position granted, also benefitted from Culpepper as well.

Bling
05-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Only Bills fans can make themselves believe that Losman, Nall and Holcomb are better than Culpepper, Brees or Harrington.

PromoTheRobot
05-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Levy's philosophy is you have to fix the D and the O-line before a QB can make a difference for you. You could bring in Peyton Manning and he would look no better than Losman or Holcomb did if you put him on last year's team.

Also it's better to spread your cap around to fill many holes, than to shoot your wad on one "name" guy. Especially when that name is Brees (busted shoulder, one good year) Cullpepper (injury and charecter issues) or Harrington (all the guy did is S-U-C-K his entire NFL career!)

And what's wrong with Nall??? What was Brett Favre before he came to Green Bay? A third-stringer in Atlanta! What was Tom Brady before Bledsoe? A backup taken in the 6th round and a career backup in Michigan! I want the Bills to find the next star QB, not pickup someone else's castoffs (Bledsoe.)

PTR