PDA

View Full Version : Assuming Mike Mularchy remained coach

G. Host
05-13-2006, 02:24 PM
And he did not dismiss any coaches other than those Marv let go on who would the Bills brain trust have likely targeted? It greatly depends on who Mularchy would have signed as DC.

I do not believe the Bills would have necessarily gone to a cover 2 scheme so players priorities would have been different.

YardRat
05-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Are you also assuming Donahoe retained his position? Or not?

patmoran2006
05-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Good question: I'm assuming you mean had he not quit a week after Marv took over.

I dont think much would have changed at all via FA. Adams and Moulds were the two guys Mularkey publicly had problems with they are both gone.

Ralph Wilson CLEARLY had a budget for FA, so I dont think you would have seen much of a difference.

There are TWO bigger things I could have seen had Mularkey remained.
1- JP might have been traded, I dont think Mularkey liked him at all. had Mularkey remained coach, you may have seen JP traded and a borderline-journeymen vet been brought in; like Aaron Brooks, Patrick Ramsey or even Joey Harrington.

2- Assuming we kept our same style of defese, the only major difference with the draft IMO is that Ngata would have definitely been our pick at 8, as speed would have been less an issue in our old defense.

but to me the key is, this current staff should do a MUCH better job of having this team physically and mentally prepared to play than Mularkey and his staff did.. That's a few wins on the schedule alone next year.

So to answer your question, I think Ngata would be a Bill, JP MIGHT have been gone and outside of that, not much would be different, until the game's begin.

G. Host
05-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Are you also assuming Donahoe retained his position? Or not?
With Marvy Levy as GM. I was asking if Mularchy would not have quit, who would Bills have targeted in the draft for a completely different offense and defense? It was obvious Marv did not think much of defensive staff since he let them go (stories of defense coaches arguing with each other would be reason why coaches could not reach consensus) before be brought in new head coach.

YardRat
05-13-2006, 04:22 PM
But didn't Gray outlast Mularkey? I think Mularkey quit before Jerry Gray was 'released' and took the secondary job in Washington.

Regardless, I'll go with the premise of Marv as GM, Mularkey as head coach, and a new guy as d-coordinator....

I agree with pat...I don't think much would've changed with free agency.

As for the draft, I guess it's a possibility that a bigger name could've been taken at 8, such as Bunkley, Ngata, or Justice, and possibly the whole draft would've been a little more balanced between offense and defense, especially on day 2, instead of being heavily weighted on the defensive side.

Other than that there's a possibility that nothing would've changed, especially in the first round, considering the common denominator of Tom Modrak's presence in both war rooms is a major factor.

jamze132
05-13-2006, 04:25 PM
If Mularkay was still here, Milloy would still be starting next season, we wouldn't have Whitner, and Clements would have not signed his tender if he did it at all. Even if the Bills flop next season, we still gained ground by letting Mularkay and his ******ed coaching style go.

Goobylal
05-14-2006, 07:56 AM
If Mularkey were still here, the Bills would likely have gotten no good coaches since he was a lame duck and new coaches wouldn't want to be looking for a new job a year later. Also FA's would likely have stayed away for the same reason.

Mularkey did the Bills a HUGE favor by quitting. He did an even BIGGER one by accepting the Dols' OC job.

Drive 4 Five
05-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Good question: I'm assuming you mean had he not quit a week after Marv took over.

I dont think much would have changed at all via FA. Adams and Moulds were the two guys Mularkey publicly had problems with they are both gone.

Ralph Wilson CLEARLY had a budget for FA, so I dont think you would have seen much of a difference.

There are TWO bigger things I could have seen had Mularkey remained.
1- JP might have been traded, I dont think Mularkey liked him at all. had Mularkey remained coach, you may have seen JP traded and a borderline-journeymen vet been brought in; like Aaron Brooks, Patrick Ramsey or even Joey Harrington.

2- Assuming we kept our same style of defese, the only major difference with the draft IMO is that Ngata would have definitely been our pick at 8, as speed would have been less an issue in our old defense.

but to me the key is, this current staff should do a MUCH better job of having this team physically and mentally prepared to play than Mularkey and his staff did.. That's a few wins on the schedule alone next year.

So to answer your question, I think Ngata would be a Bill, JP MIGHT have been gone and outside of that, not much would be different, until the game's begin.

I find it hilarious how you're always all over ICE for his irrational babbling and then you go an write stuff like this. You're so full of **** Pat. Please do us all a favor and get your abnormally large head out of your ass.

Wilson clearly had a budget for free agency? It is the General Manager who dictates how money is spent in free agency (oh and the salary cap) and obviously Levy did not feel that players like Steve Hutchinson and Adam Archuleta are worth the kind of money they got. What the **** does this have to do with the owner?

Mularkey might have traded J.P. Losman? Are you crazy? Nevermind, don't answer that. The only idiot who would trade J.P. Losman at this point in his career is you. If you could that is. This coming from the guy who wanted the Bills to draft Matt Leinhart, Vince Young, or Jay Cutler so bad that he still fantasizes about to this very day.

Regardless of whether or not Mularkey stayed, Jerry Gray and his B.S. 4-6 hybrid defense would have been gone anyway, and Levy is still the General Manager so how do you figure the Bill's would have drafted Ngata?

BillsFever21
05-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Mularkey might have traded J.P. Losman? Are you crazy? Nevermind, don't answer that. The only idiot who would trade J.P. Losman at this point in his career is you. If you could that is. This coming from the guy who wanted the Bills to draft Matt Leinhart, Vince Young, or Jay Cutler so bad that he still fantasizes about to this very day.

:roflmao:

Mr. Pink
05-15-2006, 03:55 PM
I find it hilarious how you're always all over ICE for his irrational babbling and then you go an write stuff like this. You're so full of **** Pat. Please do us all a favor and get your abnormally large head out of your ass.

Wilson clearly had a budget for free agency? It is the General Manager who dictates how money is spent in free agency (oh and the salary cap) and obviously Levy did not feel that players like Steve Hutchinson and Adam Archuleta are worth the kind of money they got. What the **** does this have to do with the owner?

Regardless of whether or not Mularkey stayed, Jerry Gray and his B.S. 4-6 hybrid defense would have been gone anyway, and Levy is still the General Manager so how do you figure the Bill's would have drafted Ngata?

Who pays for all these free agent acquisitions? RALPH. While yes, Marv makes the decisions on whom to bring in with help from Modrak I assume, at least some input on his part in players. There's a reason the Archuletas' Laws' Arringtons' and Hutchinsons' didn't come here, well besides the fact that most of the "better" players in this league want to play for a good team, it's called they were too expensive. Why would Levy care who he spends money on? It's NOT his money to spend. To think a BUSINESSMAN, which face it, that's what Ralph is...has ZERO input on what he is spending HIS money on is illogical, short-sighted, naive and just downright stupid. By the way the budget part is in play here because if memory serves me right we're still 6-10 million under the cap. Not sure on exact figure.

What irks me in free agency is why do we spend 4 years 10 million on 3 separate receivers instead of going out and getting 1 proven guy to go next to Lee Evans. Like a David Givens....sure his contract woulda been higher than any 1 of Reed, Price, Davis but combined all 3 total more than Givens. I used Givens as an example, there were other WRs available.

If Mularkey stayed on board, JP may have been traded. Whether Marv would have agreed to "shopping" him or in fact moving him is another story. Mularkey had the backing of the front office when he came in, which generally means he has the approval on some personnel decisions. And I'm sure it was all MORE than obvious that Mularkey and Losman didn't see eye to eye for whatever reason.

I don't think the HC makes any difference in who's drafted....we would have inplanted the same systems and required the same players to fill these systems. So the coaching staff woulda more or less looked the same as it does now just with Mularkey at the helm as opposed to Jauron. The only difference you could possibly ascertain or argue for, would be the drafting of a QB to augment the trade of Losman....if that were indeed to go down. But like I said that falls on the shoulders of the GM to pull the trigger not just the head coach.

Jan Reimers
05-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Donahoe/Mularkey would have traded up to get Vernon Davis, then taken the best available WR and RB, followed by a developmental QB, a FB and another WR.

The defense and the offensive line would have been built through UDFAs.