PDA

View Full Version : Really??? This is news to me.

SabreEleven
05-14-2006, 01:49 AM
http://www.olntv.com/nw/article/view/1360/?tf=NHLArticleWrapper.tpl

Sabres Jerseys
By Adam Proteau, The Hockey News (http://www.thehockeynews.com/)
Although the Buffalo Sabres aren’t hyped as one of the NHL’s marquee franchises, they certainly have a wealth of history to celebrate. And that’s easy to see when you scan the crowd during a Sabres playoff game, as fans of all ages proudly display either their tattered blue-and-gold jerseys from the past, or the more modern red-and-black jobs (that, thankfully, will be a thing of the past after this season).
To honor those fans, here are the Top 10 former Sabres jerseys seen in the crowd during Games 3 & 4 of the Eastern Conference Semifinal in Buffalo:
1. (Gilbert) Perreault. All due respect to Pat LaFontaine and Alex Mogilny, but the first player ever drafted by the Sabres (and the first-overall pick in 1970) remains the best player in franchise history.
2. (Wayne) Presley. Former Buffalo right winger from 1992-95 was perhaps the best example of a blue-collar player adored by a blue-collar city.
3. (Bob) Sauve. The father of Coyotes backup Philippe, the elder Sauve is now a player agent who represents the likes of Simon Gagne and Alex Tanguay. The standout Sabres netminder shared a Vezina Trophy with Don Edwards in 1979-80.
4. (Bob) Sweeney. Rugged center spent three seasons (‘92-95) with the Sabres, and finished his career in Germany.
5. (Dave) Hannan. Defensive forward played five seasons in Buffalo, but injuries limited him to just 249 games in the Blue & Gold. One of many players who had to go to another team (in this case, Colorado) to win a Stanley Cup.
6. (Randy) Wood. The undrafted checking winger had an Ivy League pedigree (born in Princeton, N.J., schooled at Yale University), but his NHL career was all about gutting it out in the trenches.
7. (Jim) Schoenfeld. Named Buffalo’s captain at the tender age of 22, the burly, testy blueliner was no friend to the opposition’s forwards. And he finished his NHL career with a plus-247 plus/minus rating, which tells you one thing: clearly, the man has not been an inspiration to Sergei Gonchar.
8. (Clint) Malarchuk. Owner of the most famous jugular vein in league history, the former goalie provided Sabres fans with much more than a gruesome story to tell. In fact, the 10-year veteran overcame a host of personal woes to enjoy a successful coaching career.
9. (Doug) Bodger. The blueliner spent seven years in Buffalo, many as partner to slick, quick Phil Housley. Bodger never got the acclaim – nor the money – Housley did, but many believe Housley owed at least some of his success to the B.C. native.
10. (Tony) McKegney. The NHL’s first black scoring star, McKegney played for six teams, but is best remembered as a Sabre. Fun fact: he is the only former player who is thanked by a rap star in the liner notes of a CD (Canadian rapper K-os pays tribute to McKegney for giving him a black player to emulate while playing road hockey.)

I've never seen any of these jersey's at a Sabres games except Gilbert of course. This has to be a joke

LABillsFan
05-14-2006, 02:09 AM
A little off subject, but I was working down in East L.A. a few weeks ago and this kid from Korea had a Braves Jersey on. It was awesome.

LABillsFan
05-14-2006, 02:17 AM
Did the writer see numbers or names as well. http://www.sabresfans.com/history/JerseyNumbers.asp

McKegney had the same # as Sanderson. I didn't check them all out but I'm sure the writer made no attempt to look them up if he went just by #'s.

clumping platelets
05-14-2006, 02:27 AM
I've seen #1, #3, and #10.....

LABillsFan
05-14-2006, 02:38 AM
#3? Where can I get a Hannu Virta Jersey?

SabreEleven
05-14-2006, 02:50 AM
#3? Where can I get a Hannu Virta Jersey?

#3 in the article.

YardRat
05-14-2006, 05:24 AM
or the more modern red-and-black jobs (that, thankfully, will be a thing of the past after this season).

That's the closest thing I've seen to confirmation of the uni switch.