PDA

View Full Version : Texans restructure Boselli's contract

PA Season Ticket Holder
02-11-2003, 11:49 PM
I don't understand why they took over his contract anyway. The guy has been injured for 2 years. He's washed up. Good for the Jags, bad for the Texans.

He might come back to be a decent player again, but not anywhere near the money the Texans picked him up for.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/HOU/6182331

Dozerdog
02-12-2003, 07:03 AM
Well, a number of reasons-

1) He fit the profile of the guy the Texans wanted - under 30 years old

2) The Texans by expansion ruled were forced to spend a certain amount of cap $$$ on the draft- I'm to lazy to look it up but if memory serves me correct- they had to spend a minimum of $35 Million or something - hard to do if all you pick are the Avian Blacks of the world

3) The Texans cut some deals with cap strapped teams, mainly the Jets, Ravens and Jags. They took on some very expensive players from those teams (Aaron Glenn from the Jets, Jermain Lewis from the Ravens) and in exchange, these teams left some good young talent exposed that they normally would not have left out there. T- Ryan Young from the Jets, DT's Seth Walker and Gary Payne from the Jags, and Jamie Sharper from the Ravens.

Without the draft, these teams would have had to make deep cap cuts, because releasing them would have accelerated bonus owed, thus more players would have beenlost to cover dead cap space.

However, losing a player via the draft, the Texans actually take on all cap issues. That's how hte Jets, who were in Cap "Jail" not only solved some problems but were able to get room to sign Cowart