PDA

View Full Version : Bills could learn something from Sabres!!

HHURRICANE
05-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Lindy Ruff is an excellent coach. He figures out how to adjust his gameplan based on talent, depth, etc. He is a winner. He has all of his young talent playing, and playing like a team.

The Bills had an opportunity to bring in as much young talent as possible in this past draft. We reached twice and it cost us a draft pick. I think, and alot of people agree, that we could have traded down and had 2 extra players instead.

Our team flat out stunk last year. Even if Takeo had been healthy we were still going to have a losing season. We need players, lots of them. We have tried the "skill position" theory for 4 years now, and have absolutely nothing to show for it.

The Sabres have 4 solid lines. Forsberg, Alfredsson and Heatly, excellent "skill position" players, are sitting at home. The 2 players the Bills didn't get could have been the equivalent of one of the Sabres "no name" rookies.

patmoran2006
05-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Sabres are "all heart" man. What a gutsy team.

YardRat
05-14-2006, 09:14 AM
Then again, the Bill's no-name rookies and no-name free agents could turn into Buffalo's football version of Pomminville, Roy, Gaustad, etc....

The NFL is a little different than the NHL, though.

HHURRICANE
05-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Sabres are "all heart" man. What a gutsy team.

I don't want to make this a Sabres post, but yeah, what a team. I'm flying in from Atlanta to watch the next series (at least one game).

Pominville's goal was just that "all heart"!!

patmoran2006
05-14-2006, 09:27 AM
HOckey is different in terms of you can be outplayed the entire series but a goaltender (miller) can keep you in the game by himself.

You cant win in the NFL without talent......but in terms of attitude and team chemistry, then absolutely I hope the Bills got players now to take a page from the Sabres book.

HHURRICANE
05-14-2006, 09:29 AM
Then again, the Bill's no-name rookies and no-name free agents could turn into Buffalo's football version of Pomminville, Roy, Gaustad, etc....

Why not have 2 more players to look at?! Or at least one more. The Bills did not rule out Bunkley, and had Whitner not been there, by some fluke, they would have taken Bunkley. So it wasn't like they didn't think he wasn't talented.

I understand the "win now" mentality with FA and all but if the Bills had been smarter they would have played Losman all year (like I posted 800 times), got Gates his reps, let Preston play more downs, and started looking at the future. FA is there to fill holes, not build teams. Last I looked the Redskins still haven't made the Superbowl, but Pittsburgh(with one of the cheapest owners in NFL history) has.

All the free agents we signed a few years back, Milloy, Vincent, Fletcher, Posey, Adams couldn't get us to the playoffs. But Peters, McGahee, Evans have at least given us something to build on.

justasportsfan
05-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Hurricane. That's just what Marv did. He got rid of Adams and Milloy and went young with skill players at certain positions. Even the players he brought in in FA are young and hungry. Players who have alot of upside but were sidelined for one reason or another.

Funny that you couldn't even see that.

X-Era
05-14-2006, 10:02 AM

Is it? Denver has such a great running game because they drafted all those high round OL's right?

cordog
05-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Lindy Ruff is an excellent coach. He figures out how to adjust his gameplan based on talent, depth, etc. He is a winner. He has all of his young talent playing, and playing like a team.

The Bills had an opportunity to bring in as much young talent as possible in this past draft. We reached twice and it cost us a draft pick. I think, and alot of people agree, that we could have traded down and had 2 extra players instead.

Our team flat out stunk last year. Even if Takeo had been healthy we were still going to have a losing season. We need players, lots of them. We have tried the "skill position" theory for 4 years now, and have absolutely nothing to show for it.

The Sabres have 4 solid lines. Forsberg, Alfredsson and Heatly, excellent "skill position" players, are sitting at home. The 2 players the Bills didn't get could have been the equivalent of one of the Sabres "no name" rookies.

Its funny that you say this because 2-3 years ago when Galisano took over people were screaming to start over and get rid of Ruff and Riegier. Before this season people were complaining because the Sabres didn't sign anyone other than Numminen during FA, and how they were going to suck again. Now we are all happy and Ruff and Riegier are brilliant. What they did was stick to their guns, kind of like what Levy did during the draft. So while I agree with what your are saying about Ruff, he is a very good coach, what the Sabres did and what the Bills are doing are not much different at all.