PDA

View Full Version : McNally might have given us some a hint!!!!

X-Era
05-14-2006, 10:00 AM
So, I found this to be an interesting blurb from his Q and A:

Most teams are right-handed in the power running game. Now that doesn't mean you're not going to run the same plays to the left. But I think the combination of Peters and Villarrial double teaming and zone blocking and power running will be effective. That's not to say that Gandy couldn't execute those blocks, but I think there's a good combination on that right side of the line right now

I, for one, have been clamoring for years for the Bills to run the zone blocking scheme. Maybe we have been at times running it all along, I didnt seem to think so. Maybe thats all hes referring to. But maybe he is saying we will run it like Denver runs it. If so, it bodes VERY well for the Bills running game.

I requires athletic o-lineman who can block on the move, and allows the RB to pick the hole and hit it. Its the main reason why Denver has been able to have 3 different RB's run for over 1000.

If it is true that zone blocking is our new o-line blocking scheme, we may have a HUGE difference in our offensive output next year.

That and having the ONLY QB on the roster who can throw more than 30 yards to our streaking, speedy WR's.

That of course is Losman.

Hamilton Billsfan
05-14-2006, 10:38 AM
Somebody else has been thinking along the same lines as I have been this quiet Sunday Morning!
It seems to me that spending all morning looking at other team roster's O-lines, they seem to be getting smaller and more athletic. I think the emphisis has moved from a progression of taller and heavier linemen on both sides of the ball to one where ability and quickness now count more.This may in fact be due to the rise of the cover-2 now gaining popularity.

ParanoidAndroid
05-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Yes. You might notice that we have gained a lot of athleticism with the additions of Reyes, Fowler, and the development of Peters. This is one of the things I was trying to convey in the other thread.

TigerJ
05-14-2006, 07:08 PM
I don't know how athletic Villareal is. I thought he was something of a blue collar mauler. Still, Reyes on the other side almost has to be more athletic than Bennie Anderson. At center, we always heard from the Bills how athletic Teague was. His problem seemed to be that he lacked the strength to hold up under a strong bull rush from a big DT. He was also unable to get a lot of push on running plays. I haven't really heard any good objective comparison of Teague and Fowler. I hope Fowler is better. I think he is somewhat cheaper.

John Doe
05-14-2006, 09:40 PM
I think that there will be an open competition for the starting QB. Losman has the strongest arm, but that crieteria will not be the end all of what it takes to start.

ParanoidAndroid
05-15-2006, 01:59 AM
Teague thickened to molasses over the last 3 years. He wasn't fast at all. Fowler has it all over him.