• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

Sabres pose a threat

RALEIGH - At the mere mention of the Buffalo Sabres, Rod Brind'Amour started shaking his head.

"That's the team to beat," Brind'Amour said. "We knew coming in that was the best team out there. Everyone was talking about Ottawa, but we knew that Buffalo was. We thought they would win that series, maybe not as easily as they did, but we predicted them to win and it's going to be a heck of a matchup -- a lot tougher than what we've faced until now."

The Canes and Sabres will meet in the Eastern Conference finals later this week, Carolina advancing after closing out the New Jersey Devils in five games with a 4-1 win Sunday and the Sabres taking care of the Ottawa Senators in five games Saturday night.

While the NHL had not released the series schedule Sunday, tickets will go on sale at 10 a.m. today and the series is expected to begin no earlier than Thursday and perhaps as late as next Sunday -- time for Erik Cole to continue his rehabilitation and Cory Stillman to recover after suffering an apparent left leg injury late in Sunday's game.

"It will be good for us," Carolina forward Ray Whitney said. "We've got some bumps and bruises, but I'm sure we're in the same situation as Buffalo."

• YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Sabres pose a threat

I don't like being labeled the team to beat. I prefer the underdog role.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
      • Jan 2003

I believe it is typical political posturing. Don't want to put up any bulletin board material. I LIKE being the "team to beat" I can't remember the last time the Sabres were the team to beat. Maybe the early 80's.

Comment

• Tinboy
        • Aug 2004

The team to beat? Canes have played very good this season and where my favourites to win the Stanley Cup so I say they are the team to beat.

Comment

Working...
        X