PDA

View Full Version : Interview about McCargo

Billsrock4life
05-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Just got the newest issue of Bills Digest

Q: What can you tell us about John?
A: He's a soft spoken , well mannered kid who's really what college football is all about.
Q:What are his strenghts on the field?
A: Probably his overall quickness and instincts. If you look at all those guys we had over there in Mairo and Manny in particular, those guys their first step off the football field is as good as any. If you were to take those three individuals and line them up and see who would win in a race for 5 yards, John would win every race. And thats a testament to his athleticism because he really is ubelievable.
Q: With his quickness and ability, is he best suited to play 3 technique in the NFL? Or can he do both?
A: I think he's capable of doing both. I think he's better suited to play the 3 technique because of his quickness and ability to disrupt.
Q: Is he ready to make an immediate impact in the NFL or does he need some time to develop?
A: John needs to be seasoned, but at the same time, just like his first year of starting for us he probably wasn't ready to play. But I think that his attributes and his youth and ambition are going to overcome alot of deficiencies in his game right now
Q:Some critics said it was a reach by the bills-what are your thoughts on that?
A: The same people said N.C. State wasn't good on defense, too. But look at what these guys accomplished-a No.1 ranking in total defensea year ago and a No. 4 ranking last year.

Mr. Miyagi
05-15-2006, 08:36 PM
If you were to take those three individuals and line them up and see who would win in a race for 5 yards, John would win every race.
That's huge. :eek:

Statman
05-15-2006, 09:26 PM
That's huge. :eek:
So is this:

A: John needs to be seasoned, but at the same time, just like his first year of starting for us he probably wasn't ready to play.

Let's hope he doesn't turn into a 3 or 4 year project.

ublinkwescore
05-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Just outta curiosity, how many DTs actually come into the league and light it up?

Tinboy
05-16-2006, 01:51 AM
Q:Some critics said it was a reach by the bills-what are your thoughts on that?
A: The same people said N.C. State wasn't good on defense, too. But look at what these guys accomplished-a No.1 ranking in total defensea year ago and a No. 4 ranking last year.

I like it :dance2:

ghz in pittsburgh
05-16-2006, 08:30 AM
Richard Seymour was the best Lineman for the Pats in 2001 and helped them win their 1st SB that year. I saw that rookie first hand in Heinz field that year.

Carolina's Peppers also made a huge impact as a rookie.

I've stated on this board before that 3 years from now, we'll see the best guy they drafted in 2006 is McCargo. This year, they'll put McCargo in in obvious passing situations so that he does not have to think about stopping run/screens or other possible scenarios. Even then, the kind of strength of NFL Linemen may surprise him a bit. So this will be a year of learning experience - all the intricacies and most importantly, learning the opponents.

Mahdi
05-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Just outta curiosity, how many DTs actually come into the league and light it up?
Tommie Harris had a great year for the Bears in his rookie season, even more productive than last year actually.

bigbub2352
05-16-2006, 10:27 AM
i got same issue, i really think even though we might have reached a little according to critics, we got some solid football players and if that is the case no one will care were we drafted them

HAMMER
05-16-2006, 11:38 AM
So is this:

A: John needs to be seasoned, but at the same time, just like his first year of starting for us he probably wasn't ready to play.

Let's hope he doesn't turn into a 3 or 4 year project.

Few to none are ready to play immediately and make a significant impact as rookies. It is the norm not the exception, in fact I heard a stat this morning on Sirius that said only 3% of 1st round draft picks make a significant impact on their team in the first year.

Statman
08-06-2006, 11:41 AM
It's not fair to evalutate day two" DTs, or even 2nd and 3rd rounders with first round picks. The question(s) should be:

Are 1st round DTs expected to come in and light it up?

Which 1st round DTs have come into the league and light it up?

Here's the data, you can do the legwork;

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/positions/DT

DraftBoy
08-06-2006, 11:47 AM
I dont think anybody here expects a huge impact. Id be very happy with 3 sacks and 20 tackles as a rookie.

Statman
08-06-2006, 12:05 PM
I'll be happy if he has any value in stopping the run. Who cares how many sacks you get if you allow 5 yards per carry running.

DraftBoy
08-06-2006, 12:56 PM
I'll be happy if he has any value in stopping the run. Who cares how many sacks you get if you allow 5 yards per carry running.

He wont be in very much except in obvious passing situations, so Im not concerned with ability to stop the run consistently just yet.

carybillsfan
08-06-2006, 02:26 PM
I dont think anybody here expects a huge impact. Id be very happy with 3 sacks and 20 tackles as a rookie.

He'll top 3 sacks, I watched him play at state, and he was the fastest off the line every down. It's his quickness off the ball that causes panic on the oposing o-line and allowed Manny, and Mario to often run free. When he got injured, Mario and Manny's stats went way down...I believe that says a lot about him.

My guess 7sacks, 25tackles

Richard Gozinya
08-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Nice interview, but Chuck Amato is a piece of human garbage.

Mr. Miyagi
08-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Nice interview, but Chuck Amato is a piece of human garbage.
:rofl: What??