My Draft review and grade (for posterity)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Canadian'eh!
    • Mar 2004

My Draft review and grade (for posterity)

I'm willing to stand by what I think of this draft, so i'm gonna do a little review. Lets just say I HOPE i'm proven wrong.

Round 1 - Traded out. For the record, I would have been working the phones like a mad man when Brian Thomas Jr reached the late teens. But, even if not possible, I would NOT have given the Chiefs what they wanted at WR just on principle. Getting a 3rd though was good mind you, but then they compounded it by moving to 33 and passing on Leggette.

Day Grade: Grade D

Round 2: Good god.
    33 - Keon Coleman WR- For months I've been in the "anyone but Keon" camp. He has bust written all over him. Pick grade: F-
    60 - Cole Bishop S - I just didn't get it really. AS far as scheme fits he didn't make the most sense to me. The Bills have always been about coverage at S and playing deep middle and Bishop's best bet is in the box. I'm not convinced he can be great in coverage at the NFL level. Pick Grade: C+

For the record, I would have taken Mitchell at WR or Leggette, if I coudn't move up of BTJ.
    At S I was hoping for a move up for Nubin or Bullard to last. Otherwise I liked Tykee Smith, though he went before 95 in the end. I'd be happy to gamble on Kinchens at 95 too.

Round 3:
    95 - DeWayne Carter DT: Not the worst pick, but to me he's VERY limited in the pass rush. McKinley Jackson and Jordan Jefferson who went not long after both have far more upside IMO and are better run stoppers already. Pick Grade: C-

Day Grade: F. Keon makes the whole draft a bust.

Day 3:

Round 4:
    128- Ray Davis RB- I came into the draft hoping they would draft a pile moving back and while Davis has some of that. The dude is 25 and has a LOT of carries for 25. So, 4 years and done? Many comparisons to Zack Moss.To make it worse, Brealon Allen, Isaac Guerendo, and Audric Estime were still available. Also... TJ Tampa and Nahiem Pritchett were still there, and I liked them both at CB. Grade: D

Round 5:
    141- Sedrick Van Pran-Granger C: Finally a pick i really like. I had him as the second best C behind Powers-Johnson. Good Value in round 5. Pick Grade A-
    144- Traded for a 4th next year. Again Josh Newton was still there at CB.
    160- Edefuan Ulofoshio LB - A project at LB with a lonf injury history rarely on the field. Doens't love contact. Feels very Special teams like. Grade D+
    168- Jevon Solomon EDGE - Another pick i liked. 16 sacks but played in the sun belt. Still... there was a couple descent pass rushers have come out of troy before. Grade: B+

Round 6:
    204- Tylan Grable OT - Doesn't have the arm length to play OT in the NFL. Will be a project that kcks inside to G. Very possibly PS material. Grade: C
    219 - Daequon Hardy CB - very good athlete but unfortunately small. Best suited to play in the slot. I can't see him starting ever. Grade: C-

Round 7:
    221- Travis Clayton - Huge rugby player who's never played football in his life. Grade: D-

Day grade: C

Aside from Van Pran-Granger and Solomon I don't love much at all. It feels like there were a LOT of missed opportunites and some very strange choices. They had a huge numer of over aged 5th year seniors.

Keon Coleman alone should push the grade to an F....

But I'll be generous and give them a D.

Beane and McD should be on notice. Wasting Josh Allen's prime has gone on long enough. Von Miller signing. Diggs extension and need to bail out. Kaiir Elam busting.

I'm already over McD and if Keon is as bad as I expect, he can take his buddy with him. Maybe Carolina will be looking.
  • POTLAND PSILBYLO
    Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer
    • Nov 2012

Re: My Draft review and grade (for posterity)

You Have COpIv-19

Comment

• kgun12
      • Jul 2002

So as far as the aColeman pick read this, this is the guy Josh wanted!

The question to be asked should players be deciding who to draft? Maybe, maybe not but in this case that’s what happened.
      Retired Air Traffic Controller
      USAF VETERAN
      DAV

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
        • Mar 2004

Josh is very PC and says the right things. He talked very generally and mentioned a couple names. I don’t feel like there was any kind of “I need this particular guy” and after the fact he will be extra supportive.

He also wanted Dorsey and didn’t want him fired. He also wanted Brady. He’s loyal. You won’t find him throwing guys under the bus.

Comment

• Novacane
          • Jul 2002

You're welcome to your opinion and temper tantrum. Feel free to bump this thread in a couple years if you turn out to be right. I'm not going to get either upset or excited about something I have to wait and see on.

Comment

• Historian
            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
            • Dec 2002

Overall, I give them a C.

Comment

• DetoxTent
              • Sep 2023

Would agree with the C and the D. This is the most underwhelming Bills draft I can remember since I started watching 50-some years ago. I agree with the positions they tried to fill, but these players all have questions. And, yes, I also agree the center seems to provide the most upside of any of them. He was drafted in the 5th round. This doesn't say too much for those picked above him. Maybe the safety finds a home. Coach Sal claims Bean was drafting for leadership qualities. I say they were drafting to fill out their special teams squad. That's what it seems like to me. I also agree we have to wait and see. Just nothing to be excited about a day after the draft this year.

Comment

• jamze132
                Don’t hate…
                • Jun 2003

I give this rant a D.

Comment

• DetoxTent
                  • Sep 2023

FWIW, Mel "I couldn't be wrong more often" Kiper says this of the Bills draft:

Buffalo Bills: B

Top needs entering the draft: Wide receiver, safety, offensive line

My ears perked up when I heard Buffalo was trading with Kansas City in Round 1, and now the Bills will forever be linked with the Chiefs' move for wideout Xavier Worthy, just as they are with Patrick Mahomes. Yes, all the way back in the 2017 draft, it was the Bills who dropped 18 spots to allow the Chiefs to get a player who already is one of the greatest quarterbacks in league history. Sure, hindsight is 20-20, and sure, Buffalo has to do what's best for its organization. That's a mighty weight it has carried around, however, and now Mahomes was handed the fastest receiver in NFL combine history.

GM Brandon Beane ended up trading down one more time, this time out of Round 1 completely. He finally filled his team's biggest need, taking Keon Coleman (33) at the top of Round 2. Coleman ran a 4.61 40-yard dash at the combine, which dropped his stock a little bit, but at 6-3, he can go up and snag contested catches with the best of them. The next step is to be more consistent on every route. He's going to get a lot of targets in an offense that needs quality pass-catchers on the outside.

I liked several of Beane's other selections. Cole Bishop (60) is a versatile playmaker in the secondary, while running back Ray Davis (128) had seven receiving scores last season, which makes him an interesting player at the next level. DeWayne Carter (95) can get after quarterbacks from his defensive tackle spot, while Sedrick Van Pran-Granger (141) was a three-year starter at Georgia. I could see him challenging veteran Connor McGovern for snaps as a rookie. Off-ball linebacker Edefuan Ulofoshio (160) had a great workout at the combine and was one of my risers.

This is a good haul, not a great one, and I'm rooting for Coleman to turn into a WR1 in Buffalo so my guy Josh Allen wins an MVP.
                  LINK

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                    • Aug 2004

"Keon Coleman was the top WR left that Josh Allen wanted last night."
                    Don't lose sight of the key word above. I am 100% positive Coleman is NOT their first choice outside of the big 3. Beane himself said he tried some trade talks but he's NOT giving up pick 60. Well, who he's talk about then? To go from pick 28 to where they jump over the Jags for Brian Thomas Jr is about where pick 60 has to be thrown in if they are not trading next year's #1 - Who in the right mind will trade 2 #1 picks for BTJ? I even think they are fine with both Legette and Coleman when they decided to trade with the Panthers, though there is a high probability that they know (not so uncommon in 1 spot trades that you ask for who they are drafting) who the Panthers are going to pick.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                      • Feb 2005

Felt like the draft of a team that's retooling, no real surprises.

Comment

• Historian
                        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                        • Dec 2002

Granted, picking 28th isn't easy, especially in the odd position the Bills find themselves.

Here is a team that actually has holes that made it to the final eight.

They did a pretty fair job filling the most glaring ones, but if that receiver becomes a stud for Kansas City, this draft may haunt him the rest of his Buffalo career.

The thing that everybody needs to keep in mind, is that the teams that make all the flashy, splash moves, are the ones who suck the most.

I want my hype to be in January....not April.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

I don't disagree much, here's a cliif-notes version of mine...

F trading back with KC. Dumbass move that glaringly exhibits why they win and we don't. Beane got screwed on return again, and strengthened their biggest rival at the same time.

A--S Cole Bishop, should start with Rapp.

B--WR Keon Coleman and C Sedrick van Pran-Granger. Both could start...or not be good enough to, out of the gate. Coleman is a classic boom or bust risk, IMO.

C--DT Carter. and Edge Soloman. LB Uliofosho. Carter should be a minor part of the defensive line rotation, Soloman, maybe. Uliofosho might contribute on special teams. Or he could get cut.

D--OT Grable, CB Hardy, OT Clayton. Camp fodder, practice squad if we're lucky.

F--RB Davis. Just another smallish, "slippery" scat back that allegedly can add to the passing game. Beane is never going to learn how to populate a running back room.

Overall, a C. We hit positions of need, but might have gotten better potential talent going with different guys at different times. Doubling down on OT's instead of receivers is a mistake.

Hopefully we can get some better-than-expected contributions from these guys and the overall looks better in hindsight.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

And just a final off-the-wall thought...this entire off-season has been more puzzling than normal, right up to the current signing of the suspended gambler from Detroit. I'm starting to consider Beane may be legit tanking, looking to get fired, and we're getting Major Leagued.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Woodman
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Apr 2014

2024 NFL Draft grades- Buffalo Bills play it safe but also nab potential impact receiver - Yahoo Sports

Favorite pick: Ray Davis, RB, Kentucky (128th overall)

Davis is an older prospect, but man, he is the perfect player to pair with James Cook in the backfield. Davis is a punishing runner who doesn’t fear contact and has some wiggle to get away from defenders. He won’t be out-touching Cook as a rookie, but he should prove to be a valuable member of this offense.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

Working...
                              X