Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Rivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Rivers

A friend of mine told me today that he heard it through the grapevine that the Bills recently got a phone call from San Diego.

He said, "Trade talks between the Titans and Chargers have fizzled and now San Diego is looking to trade Rivers to Buffalo. Lines of communication are open at OBD." That's not verbatim, but as close as I can remember. You get the gist of it.

I asked him who his sources were. They are legit, let's leave it at that. I have complete respect for my friend and his sources.

What would the Bills have to give up for Philip Rivers?

If Whaley could manage to get San Diego's 17th pick this year plus Rivers, how many draft picks would Doug Whaley have to give up?

My guess is the Bills would have to give up their first and second round picks in 2016, and their 2nd and 3rd round picks this year.

Would you make that trade? I would.

The Bills don't really NEED their 2nd or 3rd round picks this year.

If the Bills land Rivers, they won't NEED to draft a QB in 2016 either.

The Bills would get Philip Rivers and the 17th overall pick in this year's draft (starting offensive tackle) for a 2nd rounder in sweet '16.

The Chargers have recently tried to extend Rivers' contract, but he doesn't want to play in LA no matter how much they pay him.

Rivers is 33 years old and turns 34 in December. He doesn't need a great offensive line in front of him to be great.

Does he fit Roman's style of offense? I think Greg Roman would cream his pants if the Bills signed Rivers.

At this point in his NFL career, it's pretty obvious that Philip Rivers is looking for a change. He's not signing an extension because he won't play in LA.

Handing the ball off over 50% of the time might be something he'd be interested in doing to prolong his playing days up here in Buffalo.

Rivers is an excellent NFL quarterback. He's borderline Hall of Fame material.

The San Diego Chargers are looking toward the future, and so is their starting QB. The franchise is in a state of flux, much like the Bills were last year around this time.

The Chargers are movin' on up, and now might be the right time to start over again by letting go of their past.

Trade Rivers for the most draft picks possible and tank the 2015 season.

That could be in San Diego's best interests come time for the Chargers to play in LA's Carson City, and in the Bills best interests to win Super Bowl L.
  • IlluminatusUIUC
    • Sep 2012

Re: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Riv

If you trade for a guy like rivers, you tailor the offense to him and not the other way around.

That said, I don't see this happening. Why wouldSan Diego unload him without a qb coming back?

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
      • Jun 2024

Re: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Riv

I doubt we would also get their 1st round pick this year.

My guess our 2nd and 3rd this year plus our 1st next year would be enough given he only has this year left on his contract.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
        • Jun 2024

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
        If you trade for a guy like rivers, you tailor the offense to him and not the other way around.

That said, I don't see this happening. Why wouldSan Diego unload him without a qb coming back?
        Throw in their choice of any of our QBs.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
          • May 2009

The only way I see the Bills getting Rivers is by trading them Dareus. They're both looking for contracts after the season. It would be the only trade I see happening. I don't know if I would agree with that. Dareus is going to be getting a 100 million contract so instead of losing him the Bills might decide to do this.

Comment

• sudzy
            • Apr 2013

Well, if a friend of yours heard it through the grapevine.... It's good enough for me. It must be true, fire Whaley now.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by sudzy View Post
              Well, if a friend of yours heard it through the grapevine.... It's good enough for me. It must be true, fire Whaley now.
              Why fire Whaley for trying to sign one of the best QB's in the game?

Sign Rivers, hope he plays for 3 years, win a Super Bowl or 2, and worry about drafting a quarterback in 2018.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post

That said, I don't see this happening. Why would San Diego unload him without a qb coming back?
                Because the Chargers will soon be moving to a new city and would benefit from having 2 number 1 draft picks in 2016.

Think of Tim Murray running the Chargers.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by BertSquirtgum View Post
                  The only way I see the Bills getting Rivers is by trading them Dareus. They're both looking for contracts after the season. It would be the only trade I see happening. I don't know if I would agree with that. Dareus is going to be getting a 100 million contract so instead of losing him the Bills might decide to do this.
                  I'd rather give up 4 draft picks, sign Rivers, and extend Dareus with a little restructuring help from Super Mario.

Comment

• Raptor
                    • Jan 2009

If I'm the Chargers I want both the 2 and 3 this year and the Bills 1 and 2 next year

if they want players the Bills have to part with Dareus and likely some picks

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                      • May 2009

This isn't madden. The Bills will not have enough money to keep Dareus and Rivers if they somehow traded for Rivers without giving up Dareus. They need to sign a few other important players next year as well.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Bills should give their 2nd rd. pick this year and chagers give us Rivers and their first this year and call it a day.
                        Last edited by justasportsfan; 04-25-2015, 07:03 PM.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                          If I'm the Chargers I want both the 2 and 3 this year and the Bills 1 and 2 next year

Nope. Dareus for Rivers straight up.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Raptor View Post

I'll part with the picks, but no way in hell do I trade Dareus unless it's one for one trade for Rivers. No draft picks, just a straight up player for player trade.

The Chargers get Dareus and the Bills get Rivers.

Deal.

Comment

• Mace
                              Haha...yeah you think so ?
                              • Mar 2013

Even if the stars lined up, there's no chance whatever Rivers would want to end his career in Buffalo. Los Angeles makes him cranky, which makes him a one year rental for any team where he doesn't want to be. And a hugely expensive one we can't afford anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X