• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paladin warrior
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Oct 2004

NFL Penalties - 2014 League Penalty Stats

Total penalty statistics for the 2023 NFL season, viewed by team. Stats include accepted penalties and which team benefitted from them.

I thought Buffalo Bills are the worse Lead penalties this year. Buffalo Bills are in 4th place
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Re: NFL Penalties - 2014 League Penalty Stats

You can't just use data to judge penalties, though...

A 5 yard offsides penalty in the 4th quarter of a 33-0 game isn't the same as a 5 yard illegal contact penalty in the 4th quarter of a 20-16 game.

Some will look at this and think "Wow, the Patriots lead the league in penalty yards... Maybe the league doesn't favor them after all..."

Go back and find out how many of those yards were in garbage time.

Better yet, go back and find out how many of those yards came against the Pats defense on a third down, giving the opponent a first down, in a game that was within one score in the 4th quarter.

In a stats sheet, things like Gilmore's Pass Interference against Miami is just a 20-some yard penalty... In the situation that it was called (4th quarter, one score game, on 3rd down (I believe)) it was much bigger than a 20-some yard penalty.

Ask yourself this: In that EXACT SAME SITUATION, substitute the Patriots defense for the Bills defense... Does the ref throw the flag...? I'm betting no.

-Bill
    Last edited by BLeonard; 11-19-2014, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Bingo, Bill.

Just go back and look at the situation/net result in the first Bills-Patriots game. Sure, NE was flagged 9 times, and Buffalo 8, but when analyzing further (IIRC, I'll have to go back to my original post to verify) 8 of 9 NE penalties were 'insignificant', yet 7 of 8 of Buffalo penalties were 'significant'.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
        Haha...yeah you think so ?
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
        Bingo, Bill.

Just go back and look at the situation/net result in the first Bills-Patriots game. Sure, NE was flagged 9 times, and Buffalo 8, but when analyzing further (IIRC, I'll have to go back to my original post to verify) 8 of 9 NE penalties were 'insignificant', yet 7 of 8 of Buffalo penalties were 'significant'.
        Just looking at us alone, a good chunk of our issues also were related to the overmatched o-line early, and a good chunk of the continuing ones seem to be the peculiar officiating this year, both with us in particular and league wide in general.

Interesting site, interesting breakdown here : http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/buf...ills?year=2014

22 of the 81 penalties are false starts (11) and offensive holding (11), 7 are defensive PI (with the "new" apparent standard), and 8 defensive holdings (think I'd throw that in with the "new" apparent standard).

Breaks them down by player too. The out of position Pears, and the new Henderson, Richardson and Chris Williams accounted for 10 of the 22 false starts and holdings.

Can compare them against the previous years also, 2013, Bills had 15 false starts total and 20 offensive holdings, 9 defensive PI's and 9 defensive holdings total.

A thanks to Paladin Warrior for the interesting site.
        Last edited by Mace; 11-21-2014, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• upstart
          Sir Osis of Liver
          • Sep 2006

The Pats get flagged at a higher rate then any other team in the AFC East. So much for the Ref giving them a break.

Facts are facts.
          The NFL forgot the main component of any business model, the customer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          The ONLY reason to oppose Voter ID laws is to endorse Vote Fraud.

Comment

• k-oneputt
            • Jun 2009

It's not how many, but when and where.

Facts are facts.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
              Peterman Sucks!
              • Mar 2006

The Pats were flagged a ton today, lost a TD on a punt return, lost first downs and still went out and spanked the Lions.

Comment

• gebobs
                One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                • Sep 2003

The refs are unfair and favor another team.
                - said a fan of a team that has finished behind said other team 15 years and running

Big surprise.
                Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍