• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Reports: Pats will franchise Cassel

"It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: Reports: Pats will franchise Cassel

If they do that I think its with every intention of trading him.

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
      Closet Bills Fan
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by EdwardsEra
      If they do that I think its with every intention of trading him.
      IF and only IF brady is healthy, otherwise this is a smart insurance move, albeit, im sure some team will foolishly attempt to sell everything off for it

j-e-t-s
      jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

This is Bledsoe II. They're franchising Cassell and trading Brady. It sounds stupid but someone will bet the farm on Brady.

And it sucks ass for us because they'll get enough draft picks out of it to be good for another decade.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
          Closet Bills Fan
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
          This is Bledsoe II. They're franchising Cassell and trading Brady. It sounds stupid but someone will bet the farm on Brady.

And it sucks ass for us because they'll get enough draft picks out of it to be good for another decade.
          would it be an insult or would it be "favre-ish" if the bills went after brady?

j-e-t-s

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by CuseJetsFan83
            It would be Bledsoe-ish.

Brady is still in his prime, unlike Favre who was washed up before going to the Jets. But, as good as Brady is*, the Bills don't have the tools for him to be successful in Buffalo. Plus, I really hope the Bills learned their ****ing lesson in terms of trading with division rivals.

*=Even though I know that's true, a part of me just died because I had to admit it publicly.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
              Closet Bills Fan
              • Nov 2004

It would be Bledsoe-ish.

Brady is still in his prime, unlike Favre who was washed up before going to the Jets. But, as good as Brady is*, the Bills don't have the tools for him to be successful in Buffalo. Plus, I really hope the Bills learned their ****ing lesson in terms of trading with division rivals.

*=Even though I know that's true, a part of me just died because I had to admit it publicly.
              i agree fully BUT, this type of injury could wreak havoc..... not to mention if that rotoworld/nbc sports report was true about another surgery might be needed, well, that could send things into a bad situation quick........

what i meant by favre-ish is someone basically making all these moves for one season of hit/miss....... honestly i still would take brady over most qb's even on a gimpy knee

j-e-t-s

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

i agree fully BUT, this type of injury could wreak havoc..... not to mention if that rotoworld/nbc sports report was true about another surgery might be needed, well, that could send things into a bad situation quick........

what i meant by favre-ish is someone basically making all these moves for one season of hit/miss....... honestly i still would take brady over most qb's even on a gimpy knee
                Brady will be fine. That story about the second surgery and delayed time frame went away months ago. If there were any legs to it, it would be all over the place.

As far as what you meant by Favre-ish, the Bills aren't where the Jets are. It's going to take more than a QB to turn this team around, so the Bills would be stupid to give up a lot for a QB.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Well, let me qualify that- the Bills would be stupid to give up too much for a QB UNLESS the injury to Edwards' shoulder turns out to be serious. Then we have a Pennington situation and need to do something ASAP.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
                    Closet Bills Fan
                    • Nov 2004

Well, let me qualify that- the Bills would be stupid to give up too much for a QB UNLESS the injury to Edwards' shoulder turns out to be serious. Then we have a Pennington situation and need to do something ASAP.
                    oh i concur, and trust me, the bills need help especially if JP is to be going away, and now this might force the bills to re-sign him.

j-e-t-s

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
                      Closet Bills Fan
                      • Nov 2004

Brady will be fine. That story about the second surgery and delayed time frame went away months ago. If there were any legs to it, it would be all over the place.

As far as what you meant by Favre-ish, the Bills aren't where the Jets are. It's going to take more than a QB to turn this team around, so the Bills would be stupid to give up a lot for a QB.
                      not this last report it was played during the chargers/broncos game last weekend, pretty much it said if the scar tissue affects his rehab it may end up requiring surgery, but nothing will ever be known until later on in the offseason

j-e-t-s

Comment

• tat2dmike77
                        Let the planet get warmer. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
                        • Dec 2005

Brady could be done playing football.

Look the guy has a serious knee issue why risk coming back and screwing up his knee even more.

He has the rings, The hardware, the money and the chics. The guy has nothing to prove.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

No ***** way. I ***** HATE Brady. Bledsoe I didn't hate, just disliked because he was a Pat. Brady I hate because he's a ***** douchebag. I would cease being a Bills fan if they traded for Brady.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                            • Jul 2003

They aren't trading Brady. That is too ridiculous to even entertain. There is a big difference between him and Bledsoe. They aren't comparable.

They are Franchising Cassel to protect an asset they spent years developing, nothing more, nothing less. They have the cap room so it makes sense to hold onto him.

They aren't going to use the cap money in FA much anyway, because they have so many key players with contracts that expire in the next couple years (like Vince Wilfork, Richard Seymour, Mike Vrabel, Matt Light, Stephen Neal, Logan Mankins, Stephen Gostkowski, Tom Brady, Ellis Hobbs). Granted, there is no cap after next year unless the CBA is extended, but the fact they will need to spend big money to keep some of those players means they aren't going to spend as much now.

Also, with the cap only in place another year (assuming the CBA is not extended) it will take 6 years to be considered unrestricted in 2010. Cassel can be franchised this year and his rights can be held onto with a high restricted FA tender (1st and 3rd comp) next year. That makes it even more of a no-brainer to use the tag this year.

Ultimately, franchising Cassel doesn't have anything to do with Brady. QBs are such valuable assets in the NFL it makes sense to use the tag to protect the asset. They can trade him for draft picks if they get a deal to their liking, or they can hold onto him as a hedge against Brady not being ready to start the season or if he is injured again. There would be no rush to do anything, although Cassel probably won't be happy.

It just makes sense from a football standpoint, which is why it will happen.

Comment

• Philagape
                              WIN NOW
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39
                              It just makes sense from a football standpoint, which is why it will happen.
                              Oh, so that's what it's like.
                              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X