Thread: The Pimps Draft Recap

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 770 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Pimps Draft Recap

I came into the draft looking to improve my OL, DL and LB. I focused on them as you can see with my draft picks. Some of the players may take a few years but there isn't many quick fixes in the draft. I also was looking for players to improve my ST's. The backups I have now isn't known for their ST's play.

I was looking for good players who will be working under good coaches that can bring along players in their system on defense. My draft strategy changed when Ferguson was there at #4. My intentions was to draft AJ Hawk and take flyers on OL in the middle rounds.

1st

Da'Brickashaw Ferguson- Tackle

This was our prized possesion in the draft. We never thought he was gonna be there. I almost traded this pick plenty of times before the draft because I thought he would be gone. If he is everything he's cracked up to be he should be a dominant Tackle to anchor our line for years.

2nd

Davin Joseph- Guard

He was the first Guard off the board and will be coached under Jon Gruden. Nothing but rave reviews on him. He is a hard worker who strives to be the best he can be.

3rd

Mathias Kiwanuka- DE

I was surprised he was still around with the 44th selection. He will be in the rotation as a rookie. I won't reap the major rewards till Strahan retires. He is 36 and this should pay divedens in a couple years. He will be groomed under Strahan and the Giants DL coach who is doing a great job in NY.

4th

Abdul Hodge- ILB

Hodge has a ton of talent. ILB was a huge need for me. He will help out on ST's early on. He was the 2nd ILB off the board this year. At worse he will make good depth and ST's for me. Hopefully in a few years he can be a starter.

5th

Bernard Pollard- S

Pollard is an agressive ideal SS. He will learn under Sammy Knight for a year or two and then compete for that starting spot. He will be coached up by Herman Edwards who should help him improve.

6th

James Anderson- LB

This is a talented LB who would've been a 2nd round pick in other drafts from everything I've read. This was a deep class for LB's and hopefully he will turn into a good player. He is in a good system and will learn under John Fox. He will be 2nd string as a rookie and compete for a starting job in a year or two. Has a good chance to be a possible starter.

7th

Chris Cogong- DE/LB

He was a great player in college. He is a tweener who will play LB in Philly. I don't know much about him but he was drafted early in the 3rd round by Philly. To get a player drafted that high by a good team is worth the chance. It's at a need position too. He should also be a good ST's player.

8th

Ray Edwards- DE

He is a boom or bust type of player. He has a ton of talent who most scouts felt could've been an early 2nd round pick had he been more consistent in college. He has a ton of upside. Dedication was his biggest flaw in everything I read about him. Hopefully when he has the chance to make tons of cash in the NFL the light will turn on and he will end up as a good player.

8th

Parys Haralson- DE/LB

This guy was a sack machine in with Tennessee. The 49ers plan on converting him to an OLB in the 34 defense like Lawson. He is also a tweener
    who is a good fit in the 34 defense as a pass rusher. He will probably be 2nd string, ST's and a situational pass rusher his first year or two but will have every opportunity to be a starter. He is a good pick for potential.
    Last edited by BillsFever21; 06-03-2006 at 08:11 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Pimps Draft Recap

nice job your rebuilding is going well and even better you are active more than I can say for your predecessor

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have the players on offense to be dominant at the skill positions. I wanted to fix my OL this year and try and complete my offense and then I can focus mainly on defense.

My offense is young and talented. I have the offense to compete for a title this year but my defense is shady. I only have 7 players rated 6 and up and only 4 rated 7 and up. The rest of my defense is mainly 5's.

DL: 6-8-7-5
    LB: 6-5-5
    DB- 8-8-5-6

That is gonna be a swiss cheese defense. I have the foundation on offense but my defense isn't gonna win me a title. My plan is to take some lumps this year and get another high draft position and stock up over these next couple of years.

My team is young. The foundation of my team is all very young that I will be able to keep around for a long time. I only care about building a team that has a chance for a title. Just missing out on the playoffs or getting beat in the 1st round wouldn't do me any good this season.

Hopefully with a few good drafts the rookies will be built up there and my core of players will still be young and I can make a run for it. My team is very young right now.
    Last edited by BillsFever21; 06-02-2006 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. Playa
    nice job your rebuilding is going well and even better you are active more than I can say for your predecessor
    He never made a rookie draft pick till the 4th round. That hurt this team alot. LB was a huge need and he missed out on guys like Ware, Merriman, Tatupa and others which he could've had if he showed up for the draft. That set the team back.

With the core of offensive weapons that were on this team if he would've showed up for the draft he could've fixed the LB crew and this team would be able to make a run for it now.

That's why I traded Brunell. I wanted Haralson and I don't care if I win games this year. One more good draft spot and load up on some more talent next year and hopefully this team will be in line for a run at it in 2 years after I fix the defense.

With McNabb poised to miss some games this year Brunell would've helped me to a few more wins. The only thing that would've done is lower my draft position next year. I want a team who can win it all, not just lose in the playoffs.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Nice draft man!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

We share to many similarities. In addition to taking on some pretty messed up teams. We are going at the rebuilding the same. I can only hope that my draft position is slightly better than yours cause you kept taking guys on my draft board. Your 3rd through 6th round picks were very solid players especially for the round ya got em in.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Really like the Cocong pick. Overall good draft with alot of proven players.
    Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsuser101
    Really like the Cocong pick. Overall good draft with alot of proven players.
    I thought about taking him in like the 5th round but I had other needs. Two more rounds go by and I couldn't believe he was still there. He was drafted #71 overall in the NFL Draft. I couldn't believe that #124 came by in this draft and he was still there.

Whether he turns out to be good or not is yet to be seen. You can't beat the value though.

Hell even if he is a good backup who will only get to a 5 rating would be worth it where I drafted him at.

I had a ton of needs at OT, OG, C, OLB, ILB and DE. The only position I wasn't able to address was the center position. Hopefully these guys will fill them needs for me.

My starters at them positions should be backups so just imagine how bad the backups are. I needed these positions early and often. Hopefully they will work out.

As long as Ferguson, Joseph, Hodge and Kiwaunkua become good starters I would be happy with this draft. If most of them other guys can at least fill my depth and ST's I will be thrilled.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Nice job. Like I said before, I think everyone can be happy w/ what they did in this draft.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I like your draft as well u rebuilt your O lIne real nice I like the 1st 2 picks....

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsFever21
    I thought about taking him in like the 5th round but I had other needs. Two more rounds go by and I couldn't believe he was still there. He was drafted #71 overall in the NFL Draft. I couldn't believe that #124 came by in this draft and he was still there.

Whether he turns out to be good or not is yet to be seen. You can't beat the value though.

Hell even if he is a good backup who will only get to a 5 rating would be worth it where I drafted him at.

I had a ton of needs at OT, OG, C, OLB, ILB and DE. The only position I wasn't able to address was the center position. Hopefully these guys will fill them needs for me.

My starters at them positions should be backups so just imagine how bad the backups are. I needed these positions early and often. Hopefully they will work out.

As long as Ferguson, Joseph, Hodge and Kiwaunkua become good starters I would be happy with this draft. If most of them other guys can at least fill my depth and ST's I will be thrilled.
    I didn't draft by need at all. Heck I have Porter and Ware at OLB and drafted an OLB with my 1st pick. I have Dawkins at FS and drafted Bullocks. Etc etc. If I did draft by need I would have probably taken a guard somewhere along the way.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsuser101
    I didn't draft by need at all. Heck I have Porter and Ware at OLB and drafted an OLB with my 1st pick. I have Dawkins at FS and drafted Bullocks. Etc etc. If I did draft by need I would have probably taken a guard somewhere along the way.
    It depends on the situation of your team. When your team has as many holes as mine did when I took over just about any player selected can fill a need. The only position I didn't have any need at was WR, TE and QB.

I needed 1 Tackle, 1 Guard, 1 Center, 1 DE, 1 OLB and 1 ILB just to try and upgrade them starting positions. Then I also needed depth at them positions.

Then the positions I had filled with a reliable starter I needed depth behind them. Basically the only position I didn't need any players at were QB and WR whether it be starter or depth. Any position selected would help my team.

I got lucky that my biggest needs fell to me in my first 3 picks and were all blue chip prospects.

I have the skill position players on offense and my biggest goal was to secure the rest of my OL and then my starting offense will be complete for at least a few years. I have a young and talented offense in the skill position.

As far as DL goes I'm good with my starting DT's and my depth there has some potential and are also young. I don't have a dominant DE. Justin Smith is my highest rated DE and he's a 6. I have decent depth and some of them are young with potential but they cost too much to keep around for depth because they were in FA. Coming into FA I didn't have any depth at all.

As far as LB's go that unit is complete junk. Kirk Morrison is my best promising player. He's young and rated a 6. The rest of my starters are only 5's. The backups were even worse. That will probably be my main focus next year if my draft picks for LB don't work out. I had to big of needs to secure my OL to get the blue chip LB's this year. Can't do it all at once. Hopefully at least ILB Abdul Hodge will work out for me. If the rest of them guys can secure depth for me at them positions I will be happy and then I will only have to search for a starter.

I have two studs for starting DB's and the other two are average. I have DeAngelo Hall and Roy Williams who are both 8's. Will Smith has some potential at safety to improve on his 5. I'm hoping Pollard works out though because he would be cheaper or at least good depth if Allen improves like I think he will in the Bucs defense.

As far as my other CB position goes Manning Jr. is only a 6. I don't really have much potential behind that though.

Hopefully these players work out for me and then next year I can focus on upgrading my starters at OLB and CB and fill in some other depth on the OL because my depth isn't very good there either.

Basically I was left with great skill position players on offense and some other blue chip starters but I didn't have anything else besides that which was even average. And the depth was real bad. I think I built a good foundation of young players for the future between some of my FA selections along with my rookie draft.