X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Losman must have impressed!!

This is the problem with Losman league wide. Nobody has really watched him play unless you are from Buffalo. In addition, you had the veterans last year complaining that we should have started Holcomb. So what happens? Places like ESPN radio, NFL Network, Sirrius, look at Losman's numbers (behind poor play calling and a terrible OL), and what the veterans are saying, and draw the conclusion that this kid is washed up before he even gets started. Don't believe for a second that Marv and Jauron hadn't drawn the same conclusion.

So my point is this. I believe that Jauron had every intention of starting Holcomb. Once camps started I think it was hard not to see the amount of talent that Losman has. He is the best athlete of the three and with another year under his belt I am sure he is doing better with his reads. I think Losamn impressed everyone and that is why a starter was not announced!
  • John Doe
    Florida Man
    • Jul 2002

Re: Losman must have impressed!!

I think that you might be right.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
      Unreachable Douche
      • Jul 2002

I think Dick is going to wait till pre-season and a couple of pre-season games before he actually announces who the starter will be.

It probably will be Losman, because like you said, he is the more talented of the 3. And if he can't beat out Nall or Holcomb then there is a problem. Talent does only get you so far though.

A QB can be a ALL-Pro practice QB but come game time look completly different. That's why I think Dick waits till preseason games to announce who starts.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
        Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
        This is the problem with Losman league wide. Nobody has really watched him play unless you are from Buffalo. In addition, you had the veterans last year complaining that we should have started Holcomb. So what happens? Places like ESPN radio, NFL Network, Sirrius, look at Losman's numbers (behind poor play calling and a terrible OL), and what the veterans are saying, and draw the conclusion that this kid is washed up before he even gets started. Don't believe for a second that Marv and Jauron hadn't drawn the same conclusion.

So my point is this. I believe that Jauron had every intention of starting Holcomb. Once camps started I think it was hard not to see the amount of talent that Losman has. He is the best athlete of the three and with another year under his belt I am sure he is doing better with his reads. I think Losamn impressed everyone and that is why a starter was not announced!
        You hit the nail on the head. I never understood how a guy with only 8 games under his belt can be widely considered a "bust" already, while guys like Eli Manning, Alex Smith, Charlie Frye, Jason Campbell, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, even David Carr and Josh McCown are all considered to have a lot of "potential".

Comment

• ScottLawrence
          • Jan 2004

I think thats what you are really hoping for, so your just saying it to make yourself feel better.
          You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Comment

• ICE74129
            Legendary Zoner
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ScottLawrence
            I think thats what you are really hoping for, so your just saying it to make yourself feel better.
            Ah yes the holcombite is back. Sorry your boy is getting benched, so why not go back to wherever you were hiding because JP will be our QB this year.

Comment

• ibatiger
              Geaux Bills!
              • Mar 2006

The starter hasn't been announced yet because the competition is far from being over. As far as what Jauron thought coming in, I doubt that he was thinking about Holcomb starting. He brought in Nall, so if anything he might be thinking Nall. And then after Nall got up with the others in the offense (as you know he was 2+ months behind them in learning the offense) and by all accounts had the best week of practice at the minicamp last week, Jauron now says he has an idea about who the starter might be. Hmmm. The circumstantial evidence would seem to point to Nall, if you ask me. I certainly hope so, because I think he is the most talented of the three and would make the best starter. But, having said all of that it will still probably not be settled until after one or two preseason games. I'd put it at about 75% that it will be either Losman or Nall.

Comment

• mayotm
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by ScottLawrence
                Any true Bills fan should be hoping that Losman WINS the job. That would likely mean they have found their QB of the future. Holcomb is a solid backup and nothing more. He will never lead the Bills to the playoffs.

Comment

• X-Era
                  What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                  • Feb 2005

I think this whole thing is half game and half truth.

Half game- the biggest complaint much of the media and fans had about Losman last year was that the job was handed to him outright, he didnt have to compete. What if Dick thinks Losmans the guy he wants to start from day one due to JP having the best ability and highest potential. Would he simply announce day one that JP is the starter before camp? That would seem to be stupid. Dick knows many fans and the media wants a competition and is willing to simply keep his eventual naming of JP as the starter a secret to appease this.

Half truth- The part that IS real about this is that if you allow everyone to compete, you just may find someone else ends up winning. In this way, you can have your favorite (JP) stowed away in your head as the most liekly starter, but still allow everyone else to think theres a competition. If someone other than JP steps way up and takes it, you can go with that guy and no one is any the wiser.

Judging by the poll here and about the Pats opener, the majority wants JP to start. But if he was given it outright, the fans could complain that he never had to compete again. But if we pick JP as the starter, after a long competition, and JP faulters, we can say hes the best on the team and that we are starting our best QB and then site him winning the competition.

I believe this thing was over before it started. JP was one thing Holcomb will never have, an unknown future.

There has been more than enough evidence with Holcomb to prove he wont lead your team anywhere. But JP has unproven potential and the unknown hope will drive a team to take the risk.

Comment

• McNasty21
                    • Jun 2006

Or maybe he'll pull a Mularky and not say at all? It gives us the "advantage" as he always said (****ing ******!)

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

I think Dick and Marv truly want someone to rise to the top on their own through the QB competition, and there are no games being played.

They would be foolish not to hope JP realizes his potential, but they are also intelligent enough to know that JP has to earn it, and if he can't, they kept a capable veteran in the wings to babysit the position just in case. They also covered all their bases by getting a 'tweener' in Nall...physical tools better than Holcomb but not as strong as JP, and perhaps a mental grasp of the game better than Losman, but not as much as Holcomb.

Whoever wins the QB competition come pre-season, the team will not only be better for it this year, but be better prepared to deal with the ramifications in the future.

If it's Losman or Nall, the future may take care of itself...if it's Holcomb, we need to look for another young guy.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                        Unreachable Douche
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jp-era

I believe this thing was over before it started. JP was one thing Holcomb will never have, an unknown future.
                        The "future" is Week 1 of the regular season. Whoever's give's the Bills the best chance to win, starts. Who that is? No one knows. It's all guessing right now. Sure JP could be a favorite of Dick right now, or maybe Nall or Holcomb is. That could all change come the pre-season games.

Holcomb could look great in the pre-season games while Nall and JP both blow, JP could look great in the pre-season games while Holcomb and Nall Blow, Nall could look great in pre-season games while JP and Holcomb blow.

Who ever looks the best in the pre-season games should be the starter come week 1.

Here's a question for a Losmanite, JP during the pre-season goes somewhere around 25 of 70, 250 yards 1 TD 4 INTS, while Nall or Holcomb go 40 of 70, 450 yards, 4 TDs, 2 INTs, who gets the start opening day?

Comment

• TedMock
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ibatiger
                          ...I think he is the most talented of the three and would make the best starter.
                          Nall? He might be the most talented, but how do we know that? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm trying to figure out what you're basing this opinion on. Obviously, we know what Holcomb gives us, but as for Losman and Nall, we have no idea. We know a little more about Losman. In the end, because we know what Holcomb gives us, I agree that we should hope for Losman or Nall to get the nod.

Comment

• ICE74129
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                            The "future" is Week 1 of the regular season. Whoever's give's the Bills the best chance to win, starts. Who that is? No one knows. It's all guessing right now. Sure JP could be a favorite of Dick right now, or maybe Nall or Holcomb is. That could all change come the pre-season games.

Holcomb could look great in the pre-season games while Nall and JP both blow, JP could look great in the pre-season games while Holcomb and Nall Blow, Nall could look great in pre-season games while JP and Holcomb blow.

Who ever looks the best in the pre-season games should be the starter come week 1.

Here's a question for a Losmanite, JP during the pre-season goes somewhere around 25 of 70, 250 yards 1 TD 4 INTS, while Nall or Holcomb go 40 of 70, 450 yards, 4 TDs, 2 INTs, who gets the start opening day?
                            No holcomb if you want to win. This isn't a team for holcomb. He is past any prime he might have had (he never had one worth mentioning) and this team is rebuilding. It JPs team regardless.

Comment

• X-Era
                              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TacklingDummy

To answer a question with a question, how much stock do you put into good or bad play during garbage time against vanilla defenses?

It isnt about what has been proven on the field, or what might be proven on the field in the preseason. Its about starting the QB who gives you the best chance to win, not a game, or even a string of games, but to get to and win a Superbowl. There is NO purpose is starting a QB who takes you 5 and 11 while not developing your QB who could take you to the SB. It was clear last year, its clear now. If Holcomb was all we needed, why was he so bad? why didnt he take us to the playoffs? He didnt, he was bad, and has no upside. The Pats game proves it all, to move the ball that well, only go up 3 to 0 at the half and then lose, or the 4 ints game against the clowny Jets. Thats NOT a SB or even playoff caliper QB!

Right now NEITHER QB is good enough to take this team to the playoffs. However, the guy most likely to do it in the future is JP Losman. Holcomb has had his time, he squandered it due to a lack of talent. Nall doesnt hold a candle to Losmans upside.

The choice is clear, start and play your best chance at a SB worthy QB, thats Losman.

The ultimate point is that the fans on both this site and BB.com have made it clear overhwelmingly that JP is the guy that they want to start.

Comment

Working...
                              X