Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why the hate for Willis?

Registered User The JuiceBox Guy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Why the hate for Willis?

One thing I havent been able to figure out here yet is why there seems to be so much hate for Willis McGahee. I see him as a young player who still has some growing up to do but he has a ton of talent. He's been above average his first two years in the NFL, especially coming off such a bad injury and I think with Fairchild's creativity and Jauron as coach the Bills will finally stay committed to running the ball. I know this sounds like a homer thing, but I think McGahee can be a Pro Bowler this year and his numbers over just his first two years back it up.

I wish he'd seem to care a little bit more about Buffalo but how can anyone question his desire and dedication to be a top back in the league?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Why the hate for Willis?

The "realists" hate everyone who's not a lock for the hall of fame.

Registered User BuffaloBillsStampede's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You said it yourself he doesn't care about this city or team or what they are trying to do. He is only in it for himself not the good of the team. He is a typical Miami product that is full of himself. With that said absolutely nobody can deny his upside. He has a boat load of talent that I don't think has even been tapped yet. If somehow this team can bond together and we can find a way to sign him long term then I say do it because he has shown his first year that eventhough he could give a damn he can get the job done when used correctly.
    SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Winning and playing in playoff games cures a lot of attitude problems. And if Mularkey was my coach and Clements my OC I'd probably care a lot less.

I dont like that he skipped the OTA's but he works out hard in Miami and I bet he comes in awesome shape for camp. He's a key this year, we need to him to open up the passing game. A Train is a good backup but he's not a starter anymore

Roways rooking ahread! Mitchy moo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The JuiceBox Guy
    Winning and playing in playoff games cures a lot of attitude problems. And if Mularkey was my coach and Clements my OC I'd probably care a lot less.

I dont like that he skipped the OTA's but he works out hard in Miami and I bet he comes in awesome shape for camp. He's a key this year, we need to him to open up the passing game. A Train is a good backup but he's not a starter anymore
    He already came in awesome shape a month ago so your pointing out a given.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I wasn't impressed by his effort last season. Especially compared to his mouth. His 3.8-yard average and five TDs were certainly nothing special.
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Phil I agree but there were very few people on this team last year who were really impressive. My only point is that it seems some people are closing the book on him after only two years and I think that's crazy.

Willis McGahee had more rushing yards his first two seasons starting that OJ Simpson and Thurman Thomas, and more touchdowns. And I blame the coaches on last year a lot more than players like McGahee.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The guy works his ass off, is the best player on the team and is a great team player. Ask Shelton how he felt about being given that first TD ball.

Tough to convert 3rd downs and score TDs when your coach pulls you on 3rd down and goal line situations.

It also didn't help that the OL was a festering heap of turd last year.

Willis will be fine. I'm more worried about OL, QB, and defense.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

there were very few people on this team last year who were really impressive.
    I would just like to know who's fault you think that is??

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Fairchild has lots of plans for #21. I'm also thinking the Bills are more likely to extend him than Nate.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think there is alot of hate for Willis because he is a successful rich young black man that acts like a regular 22 year old black man in america. he like hip-hop and cars and women.

The majority of people on this board hate the hip-hop culture so as long as a player who acts like someone in the hip hop culture is not producing to their expectations they hate him

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Maybe Drew Rosenpenis should tell Willis to grow a Joe Dirt mullet and do his next press conference wearing an REO Speedwagon t-shirt, so these mouthbreathing hicks can better relate to him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. Playa
    I think there is alot of hate for Willis because he is a successful rich young black man that acts like a regular 22 year old black man in america. he like hip-hop and cars and women.

The majority of people on this board hate the hip-hop culture so as long as a player who acts like someone in the hip hop culture is not producing to their expectations they hate him

I think you're way off on that one, and you seem racist with a statement like that. I think the Buff fans have a problem with Willis because his heart's not in it for the Bills. He doesn't seem to want to be a part of the team when players that have been with the team much longer find their way to the OTA's and Willis can't be botherd. I think when Willis makes a claim to be the best RB in the game and then doesn't back up what he says, people tend to take offence to that, as they should.

I also think the Bills organization went out of their way to sign a guy with a huge ? next to his name giving him a chance, and he has problems returning the favor by being a team player?? IMO that comes across as an ingrate. I think there are many reasons that can be found as to why the Bill fans are unhappy with Willis at this point, it could change...if Willis changes. I don't think a players preference of music is a legit reason to dislike them. I'll promise you if Willis were the best back in the league and he acted like he was the luckiest player in the world to be playing football for a living, ya' know, being greatful... Bill fans would love the guy regarless of what music he likes or the color of his skin.
    Last edited by feelthepain; 07-17-2006 at 06:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,693 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. Playa

I don't think that has much to do with it. But play the race card with nothing to back it up all you want. I'm sure guys like Thurman Thomas will also disagree with you.

I think Willis is a tremendous talent. I think his confidence is great. And I don't think many people hate him, definetly not a majority.

The one thing that does annoy me about him is that the two skills he needs the most improvement on, blocking and receiving, are better improved by being up here with his coaches learning the techniques he needs. He can (and will) show up in great physical shape, but needs work on the basics of the game in certain areas.

Oh, and one other thing: The jackass of an agent he has. He rubs people the wrong way.

In the end, Bills fans would love a gay, black/hispanic player if he produced to the full extent of his ability and did not have a mouth that exceeded his output. Until McGahee does that, fans won't feel the bond they did with Thurman, Bruce, Jimbo, Andre, Kemp, etc. with Willis.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There are things I don't like about Willis, but I don't hate him. Maybe some it is the need to grow up.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Don't Call It A Comeback! Amare's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Alright here is the only way I see it, this guy can be 1 of the top backs in the league, true he don't have the speed he possesed in college, but he's working on it. He is the best player on this team and every1 still bashes him. Realist or Homer, they all got to admit it, and if we happened to get rid of him after this year were ****ED!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

One thing I havent been able to figure out here yet is why there seems to be so much hate for Willis McGahee. I see him as a young player who still has some growing up to do but he has a ton of talent. He's been above average his first two years in the NFL, especially coming off such a bad injury and I think with Fairchild's creativity and Jauron as coach the Bills will finally stay committed to running the ball. I know this sounds like a homer thing, but I think McGahee can be a Pro Bowler this year and his numbers over just his first two years back it up.

I wish he'd seem to care a little bit more about Buffalo but how can anyone question his desire and dedication to be a top back in the league?
    he needs to bump his ypc average up a half to a whole yard (between 4.5-5 per) to be a pro bowler IMO

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by LtFinFan66
    he needs to bump his ypc average up a half to a whole yard (between 4.5-5 per) to be a pro bowler IMO
    He gets holes, he gets yards.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Fans want to embrace players that represent Buffalo however it needs to be both ways. The players need to embrace the city and the team. WM has not done that. Throw in his Miami attitude, his me first attitude and his less than expected results and you have a rocky relationship. It has nothing to do with race. Look at Peters. People went nuts on this board and gave him a lot of props and were talking about getting his jersey after he said great things about the city and team when he signed the extension. He embraced the city and the fans have embraced him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feelthepain
    I think you're way off on that one, and you seem racist with a statement like that. I think the Buff fans have a problem with Willis because his heart's not in it for the Bills. He doesn't seem to want to be a part of the team when players that have been with the team much longer find their way to the OTA's and Willis can't be botherd. I think when Willis makes a claim to be the best RB in the game and then doesn't back up what he says, people tend to take offence to that, as they should.

I also think the Bills organization went out of their way to sign a guy with a huge ? next to his name giving him a chance, and he has problems returning the favor by being a team player?? IMO that comes across as an ingrate. I think there are many reasons that can be found as to why the Bill fans are unhappy with Willis at this point, it could change...if Willis changes. I don't think a players preference of music is a legit reason to dislike them. I'll promise you if Willis were the best back in the league and he acted like he was the luckiest player in the world to be playing football for a living, ya' know, being greatful... Bill fans would love the guy regarless of what music he likes or the color of his skin.
    If I could thank you more than once for this post I would do it in a hear beat. Great post, hit the nail on the head and drove it home with one shot.