Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Josh Reed....The odd man out?

I'm Really 4 and Short
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Josh Reed....The odd man out?

With the Price tagging, is Josh Reed the odd man out?

If we sign PP to a long term contract, where does Josh Reed fit in for the future of the Bills, that was a waste of a #2 pick last year if Reed is a #3 receiver for most of his career. Thats why I dont really like the tagging of Price...I wont mention the money Price will get either.

I was really looking forward to what Reed would do as a starter, he has great hands, ability to shed would-be tacklers, and block down field, he has the courage and confidence to go over the middle to get a ball even if he's gonna get licked.

Where does Josh Reed fit in the future of the Bills?

clumping platelets
    DEPTH

solid #3 and capable of being a #2 in case of injuries.

I'm Really 4 and Short
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Clump...

This kid is a future star, 2nd round picks aren't drafted for depth, they're meant to be starters.

Putting him at the #3 spot IMO, is a waste of talent.

Tapit: All the Way to the Derby BillsMan80's Avatar
    In an Ice Hockey Rink Somewhere in the USA!!!!
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    We can have 3 extremely good Wide Receivers. I mean, Reed is only 21 years old...He has a long career left in front of him.
    The NTRA...GO BABY GO!!!!!!!
    THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT WILLIS!!!!!!!!!!! Touchdown Wills McGahee!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    reed will be fine.. he sits behind peerless for 4 more years.. we resign him for moderate cash and let him know that his next contract he will be a starter..

that is assuming that peerless actually ends up in buffalo for a while.. i think peerless will be traded, but that is beside the point...

reed is better suited for the slot receiver anyways.. teams need good 3rd wrs.. and like cp said.. good depth in case of injury..

and believe me.. if reed turns out to be so amasing and a nonstop playmaker... they will get him in there.. you think he will sit if he outperforms a starter?

bottom line is.. this is a good problem to have.. too many good wrs..

and i also feel like the front office and coaches know more than us.. if they feel like they have to keep peerless, then they obviously dont have the confidence in reed just yet..
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    4TH,key word "future" you can't just throw him into a starting spot that guys like Moulds been working so hard to get for 7 or so seasons.He needs to get more experience under his wing before we put him in a situation like that...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    We won't have Price long term. I bet he's a barganing chip to get some draft picks.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

ArcticWildMan
    I just hope that Reed doesn't take this as a lack of confidence in him by our management. That could set him back years if not totally ruin him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Peerless will be traded! this is the only logical explaination.
    I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

I'm Really 4 and Short
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
    I just hope that Reed doesn't take this as a lack of confidence in him by our management. That could set him back years if not totally ruin him.
    That's what I'm thinking...

Brian, this isn't hockey where you give your draft picks awhile to develop. He showed he could handle the role of a starter, and IMO earned it with his performance.

Tatonka, Reed is a great slot receiver, but can play the outside very good aswell. This kid is gonna be a great one, which could start next year.

BillsMan, by the time he gets to start, it'll be awhile, you cant have someone like him sitting at the #3 spot for 4-5 years, while he's never had a fair shot, and proved time and time again, that he deserves one.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by 4thAndLong
    Clump...

This kid is a future star, 2nd round picks aren't drafted for depth, they're meant to be starters.

Putting him at the #3 spot IMO, is a waste of talent.
    You cannot have too much talent. If our #3 is as good or better than most teams #2. That will create huge match up problems for other teams corners. Honestly the idea of Reed having a 3rd string corner cover him is very appealing to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.

I'm Really 4 and Short
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by Romes

You cannot have too much talent. If our #3 is as good or better than most teams #2. That will create huge match up problems for other teams corners. Honestly the idea of Reed having a 3rd string corner cover him is very appealing to me.
    I disagree...You have too much talent when there's a cap.

The offense is the same as last year thus far, even with it's late season struggle.

Expert on Experts SoCalBillsFan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Agree with romes. THe idea of keeping reed as a number three and having 3 solid receivers would lead to a great offense, IMO. Great mismatches.

That being said, I still think price will be gone.

Colorado's Biggest Bills Fan Fatwhite02's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Reed is going to be great but I really don't think he is ready yet. Plus, w/ Peerless Price spreading defenses as well as Moulds, Reed makes are need for a tight end a little less because he has the balls to go over the middle. Don't get me wrong I won't be upset if PP is traded for picks, but signing him only helps our team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I don't think Price is even gonna be here next year I do agree this conversation will take on importance if Price is signed though. It's a good point about getting Reed and where he fits in.

I think though Peerless will be replaced by some first rounders when it all washes out
    The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,493 Times in 7,332 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by Bulldog
    Peerless will be traded! this is the only logical explaination.

I agree........................this move makes no sense unless we trade peerless. It goes against everything TD has been saying about improving the D and not getting in cap jail.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    This story is just beginning. Thanks, TD, for giving us something to talk about in the offseason.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Shinier than your mom Shiny Chicken's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I know... FINALLY!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by Fairway To Green
    I agree........................this move makes no sense unless we trade peerless. It goes against everything TD has been saying about improving the D and not getting in cap jail.
    you bet ! and IMO your thoughts are right on the money. TD saying we want to keep Price is smoke signal material.

We either end up eating PP's money for one year. We can afford it really, Especially IF JR is gone or restructured. If he is gone thats 3.5 million in cap money. If restructured to lets say a million we only lose out about 2.5 million against the cap if Peerless stays 1 more season. Affordable for a talent of PP's even in the worst of cap problems. Which we don't have It still leaves money to do the defense some real justice. This scenario, while not the one Im hoping for is not to shabby at all. If you think about it, it's one of the worst things that could happen and it still leaves us pretty nice.

Or we fail to match another teams offer, get 2 first round picks. We of course, recoup a first round pick this year and an extra next. We can then use that next years first rounder this year as trade to bolster our defense this year.

Now using the 2nd first round pick as trade bait to shore up the defense this year not only leaves our first rounder intact for next year but Im sure that we could pick up a quality defensive player this year and his old team pays much his salary for next season (similar to the Bledsoe deal) Once again a good situation that does not count against our current cap moneys.Guess what ? more money to spend on yet another defensive player this year !!

Getting back a first rounder this year, would make the Bledsoe trade sweet in hind site Something tells me that this has been thought of way in advance of now. If they swing this the way I think. It's gonna be genious.

Having Peerless, Josh and Eric is an embarrasment of riches. If they play the hand properly though we can have all we wanted and not break the bank. I cannot wait to see how this plays out.
    Last edited by Billz_fan; 02-19-2003 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    nice post Billz_fan

its a win-win situation
    For the latest Bills news, visit the front page www.billszone.com