Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

Quote Originally Posted by Dozerdog
    They should have two lines at airports- jerkoffs who want to bring crap on planes and an "express lane" in security for those with no carry ons.

Onle line will take an hour or more, the other will take minutes. I wonder how long the jerkoffs will still try to bring in toothpaste and shampoo.
    That's a great idea. They should also encourage the fast liners to taunt the jerkoffs on the slow line.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dozerdog
    They should have two lines at airports- jerkoffs who want to bring crap on planes and an "express lane" in security for those with no carry ons.

Onle line will take an hour or more, the other will take minutes. I wonder how long the jerkoffs will still try to bring in toothpaste and shampoo.
    the first time they miss their plane they will stop

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 902 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezer
    just remember...all this is controlled by the FAA...just think if airports and flights were controlled by private companies...you wouldn't be able to do squat because they would clamp down on everything faster than.......
    Not true.

Flights are controlled by privae companies, called airlines.
    They have their own security measures above beyond TSA, (not FAA), mandates.
    Last edited by Captain gameboy; 08-10-2006 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't have the time to read through this entire thread, so if the points were made, mea culpa.

A few of things that I did note though:
    1. These changes are brought about by specific identified threats. It isn't a knee jerk reaction. The concept of blowing a hole in an airliner with a fluid substance has a worrisome point for years. Obviously, that is the specific threat that was uncovered in this latest bust.

2. Op, you really have strong views on things without real knowlege. The only reason Richard Reed did not blow a hole i that airplane is because he used a wet match. A lighter would have done the trick, hence the prohibition.

3. People look at this stuff all the time and follow all the latest gadgets used for such things. They are not stupid.
    In fact, they are quite bright and very concerned about your life. Have some trust in them. Deal with the inconvenience while enjoying the convenience of travelling at almost 600 mph at a cost that has never kept place with inflation.

Profiling is not a dirty word.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I hate the fact that these terrorists are controlling our lives!

why the **** can't I take a bottle of gatorade on the plane? That's bull****!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey82

They aren't controlling your life. They are having an influence. It is that way with all who don't chose to live in community with other humans.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey82

Mikey you are epitome of what's wrong with the American public.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Billsology
    Welcome to the United States of Republicans!

They're the party of smaller government...unless they get to rustle through yer undies!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by shelby
    i am apalled at the selfish attitudes in this thread.

Do you people understand that 10 transatlantic flights could have been BOMBED OUT OF THE ing SKY had these people not been caught and stopped?

i have no problem with airport security. They can rummage through my suitcase all they like. They can take the battery out of my cell phone. They can confiscate my hair gel if they see fit. These people are doing their job, trying to keep us alive.

i remember flying with Jack when he was 6 months old....security took a peek in his diaper. i had no problem with that.

Valerie and Op, i'm willing to bet that if you had lost someone close to you in 9/11, or the bombing in Lachorbie Scotland, etc., you would not be so vehemently opposed to the "violation" of your "constitutional right" to bring water and conditioner and toothpaste aboard an airplane.

BTW...any of y'all remember the story about 6 to 8 weeks ago of the man flying to Atlanta from Houston? His shoes were hollowed out, and he denied having a laptop in his possession when he did, indeed, have a laptop. They detained him briefly in Houston, but in the end they let him catch a later flight to Atlanta. Can you say "dry run"?

These people are not done with us, not by a long shot. You are naive to think otherwise.
    I think the thing that bothers people is that we have been doing this all our lives and suddenly now we are afraid of it, because they think they found someone who was going to blow up a plane with a bomb inside of a liquid. Like I said before....what's going on right now is exactly what the terrorists want. We are letting them win. Each little tiny freedom...my freedom to bring a bottle of gatorade on the plane to drink because I get thirsty and like Valerie said...they supply you with a little tiny cup of soda and a ton of ice. It doesn't do the trick. My freedom to bring a ipod, discman, walkman, cell phone, laptop or any other device that will soon get banned (just watch!). We have had these freedoms all our life and now because we get a little threat, nothing actually happens and we don't know if it ever would have....we lose them? How is that fair?
    Last edited by Michael82; 08-11-2006 at 06:49 AM.

that slimey ass of an admin at the zone Dude's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,563 Times in 2,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'll let the terrorists have better oral hygene if it means I won't get blown up mid-flight.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,322 Times in 15,465 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The airlines have brought a lot of this crap upon themselves...purposely overbooking flights, etc...

I think they should replace flight attendants with robots. They would probably be more polite.

On a flight up from Florida one time, my wife and I booked three seats on USEless Air. (As opposed to two and holding the toddler.) My wife took the aisle, I took the window, and we put our daugher, in her car seat, in between us. The thought being, we could take turns feeding and entertaining her, thus cutting down on any disruptions to other passengers.

Flight attendant comes by, "You can't put her there."

"Where?"

"In between you like that."

"Why?"

"Because it's against the rules."

"Excuse me?"

"Because if something happens, you might be trapped."

I replied, "Listen, I'm trying to do you a favor. In between us, we can share reponsibility for keeping her fed and occupied, thereby cutting down any potential disruptions of any of the other passengers."

****Blank stare****

"And by the way, Miss....If this plane does go down, I would rather be behind her so that I can pass her off to try to ensure she survives before me."

****Rolls eyes and stomps away****

The carry-on thing has always been a pet peeve with me too. I always took a small diaper bag with child essentials, including animal crackers, and wore a knapsack with a book, a water, a pair of undies, a discman, and my keys in it....all while people were dragging on huge pieces of luggage.

RE: water. Well, if you aren't going to allow a small bottle of Zephyr Hills onboard, you had better instruct your prissy flight attendants to start passing out pre-inspected bottles (without caps ala RW Stadium, lol) as people board, because they're all going to very thirsty sitting on the runway in Atlanta, or Chicago.

I don't doubt you could squeeze nitro-glycerine into a toothpaste tube. But as long as the passenger is willing to drink a swig of water for the inspector, what's the harm with a bottle of Poland Spring?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The airlines have brought a lot of this crap upon themselves...purposely overbooking flights, etc...

I think they should replace flight attendants with robots. They would probably be more polite.

On a flight up from Florida one time, my wife and I booked three seats on USEless Air. (As opposed to two and holding the toddler.) My wife took the aisle, I took the window, and we put our daugher, in her car seat, in between us. The thought being, we could take turns feeding and entertaining her, thus cutting down on any disruptions to other passengers.

Flight attendant comes by, "You can't put her there."

"Where?"

"In between you like that."

"Why?"

"Because it's against the rules."

"Excuse me?"

"Because if something happens, you might be trapped."

I replied, "Listen, I'm trying to do you a favor. In between us, we can share reponsibility for keeping her fed and occupied, thereby cutting down any potential disruptions of any of the other passengers."

****Blank stare****

"And by the way, Miss....If this plane does go down, I would rather be behind her so that I can pass her off to try to ensure she survives before me."

****Rolls eyes and stomps away****

The carry-on thing has always been a pet peeve with me too. I always took a small diaper bag with child essentials, including animal crackers, and wore a knapsack with a book, a water, a pair of undies, a discman, and my keys in it....all while people were dragging on huge pieces of luggage.

RE: water. Well, if you aren't going to allow a small bottle of Zephyr Hills onboard, you had better instruct your prissy flight attendants to start passing out pre-inspected bottles (without caps ala RW Stadium, lol) as people board, because they're all going to very thirsty sitting on the runway in Atlanta, or Chicago.

I don't doubt you could squeeze nitro-glycerine into a toothpaste tube. But as long as the passenger is willing to drink a swig of water for the inspector, what's the harm with a bottle of Poland Spring?
    Good post! With the new liquid rule. It's fine. But I want the whole can of pop instead of just a few sips. And like you said, a bottle of water would be nice too.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

OK, I may be opening a new can of worms here, but what the hell - it's Friday...

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but is it written anywhere that airlines have to provide food and beverage? I know it's expected since it's been done for years, but they aren't obligated to give you free soft drinks and peanuts. A lot of people treat it that way, but I don't recall there ever being any kind of "Thou shalt get free stuff on airplanes" commandment or anything.

So I don't get the complaining about not getting the whole can of soda. This isn't directed at you personally, Mikey - I hear this complaint every time I fly. I just don't get it, that's all - especially when it's a short flight. Yeah, if it's a cross-country jaunt it's nice to get a full drink, but since there is no requirement that we even get a free drink, it doesn't really bother me much.

Plus, 9 times out of 10, if you ask the flight attendant nicely, he or she will bring you another drink.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have another funny one Mike.

My Dad was really ill, back in February of 1998, so I had to fly up from Florida, because we didn't know if he was going to pull through the surgery to remove his leg.

So it's just me this time, and I'm flying out of the Sarasota-Bradenton Airport. (Which, for all intents and purposes, could be called the Hooterville Airport, as it only deals with about two dozen flights a day)

I get to the screener, a cute little old lady of about 70. she Xrays my Timberland backpack, and tells me she needs to open it up.

No Prob.

She pulls out my little Panasonic DVD-TV. I had just bought it about a month before at the Best Buy near the Countryside Mall.

LADY: What's this?

ME: It's a portable DVD player.

LADY: A what?

ME: A DVD player. Press that little switch, and a tv screen pops up, and I can watch a movie on the flight.

LADY: Hmmm. Okay, what are these things? (In the small Caselogic case)

ME: Those are the movies.

LADY: Then what's this other piece of hardware in your knapsack?

ME: That's a cd player.

***blank stare***

ME: It plays music...sort of like a tape player, only with a laser that reads encoded information on the discs.

LADY: (exasperated) I gotta get to the store and check out all this newfangled stuff....oh just go!

I should write a book.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dude
    OK, I may be opening a new can of worms here, but what the hell - it's Friday...

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but is it written anywhere that airlines have to provide food and beverage? I know it's expected since it's been done for years, but they aren't obligated to give you free soft drinks and peanuts. A lot of people treat it that way, but I don't recall there ever being any kind of "Thou shalt get free stuff on airplanes" commandment or anything.

So I don't get the complaining about not getting the whole can of soda. This isn't directed at you personally, Mikey - I hear this complaint every time I fly. I just don't get it, that's all - especially when it's a short flight. Yeah, if it's a cross-country jaunt it's nice to get a full drink, but since there is no requirement that we even get a free drink, it doesn't really bother me much.

Plus, 9 times out of 10, if you ask the flight attendant nicely, he or she will bring you another drink.
    no, it isn't. That's why I always bring a bottle of gatorade and a bag of combos or something.

If anything, I'm upset that they got rid of the meals. I remember flying to Seattle the week before September 11th and we got a full meal to eat on our way there. It was nice.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You have to keep hydrated on a plane Dude.

I remember the good old days...when liquor was free.

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by shelby
    Sometimes Meat makes perfect sense.
    And that is frightening.
    hey!
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have another funny one Mike.

My Dad was really ill, back in February of 1998, so I had to fly up from Florida, because we didn't know if he was going to pull through the surgery to remove his leg.

So it's just me this time, and I'm flying out of the Sarasota-Bradenton Airport. (Which, for all intents and purposes, could be called the Hooterville Airport, as it only deals with about two dozen flights a day)

I get to the screener, a cute little old lady of about 70. she Xrays my Timberland backpack, and tells me she needs to open it up.

No Prob.

She pulls out my little Panasonic DVD-TV. I had just bought it about a month before at the Best Buy near the Countryside Mall.

LADY: What's this?

ME: It's a portable DVD player.

LADY: A what?

ME: A DVD player. Press that little switch, and a tv screen pops up, and I can watch a movie on the flight.

LADY: Hmmm. Okay, what are these things? (In the small Caselogic case)

ME: Those are the movies.

LADY: Then what's this other piece of hardware in your knapsack?

ME: That's a cd player.

***blank stare***

ME: It plays music...sort of like a tape player, only with a laser that reads encoded information on the discs.

LADY: (exasperated) I gotta get to the store and check out all this newfangled stuff....oh just go!

I should write a book.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

EXACTLY!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Wright Brothers didn't have in-flight meal service. Do you hear them complaining?

I didn't think so.