Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

Thanks
    Thanked 17,689 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey82
    I hate the fact that these terrorists are controlling our lives!

why the **** can't I take a bottle of gatorade on the plane? That's bull****!
    Because it is their plane and not yours?

It is not a right Mikey. People do not have a right to do whatever they want to do on public transportation.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,246 Times in 15,409 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dude
    The Wright Brothers didn't have in-flight meal service. Do you hear them complaining?

I didn't think so.
    They also didn't have to sit on the runway in Charlotte for two hours....

Thanks
    Thanked 26,289 Times in 13,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    Riding an airplane is not a right. Carrying luggage on a flight is not a right. they are privleges. There is no protected right to carry stuff on an airplane. Once you leave your home and are on public transportation, your rights diminish.

I don't see the problem in the concept.
    I don't have a problem with the concept either- it's the implementation. For example. I agree that no one except federal marshals should have firearms in the cabin of an aircraft for obvious reasons. There is a clear, credible threat from firearms.

But, even if they are priviledges, they shouldn't take them away unless there is a clear, credible threat and I don't think that's been established. This is a knee-jerk reaction that was done without the necessary research and investigation.

that slimey ass of an admin at the zone Dude's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,563 Times in 2,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's a preventative measure. There could still be sleeper cells out there that are backups - who knows? Better to eliminate the possibility than to take the risk.

Inconvenience or death? I'll take inconvenience.

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i tell you what

since we have arabs from pakistan that want to kill civilians on planes

and we have other arabs in lebanon that will put their children up to die as human shields

why not pack those lebanese civilians onto planes and let the pakistanis blow them up?

We Die For Allah Airlines
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's a preventative measure. There could still be sleeper cells out there that are backups - who knows? Better to eliminate the possibility than to take the risk.

Inconvenience or death? I'll take inconvenience.
    well the only way to eliminate any possibility is to eliminate commercial air travel altogether. As long as there are planes in the sky, the possibility of a terror attack on a plane exists.

Should we eliminate the possibility of people speeding by putting governors in cars that limit them to 55 mph? Should we eliminate the possibility of alcohol abuse by just eliminating alcohol?

All I'm saying is that the actual risk should be established before things are banned as a knee-jerk reaction. Again, terrorism and liquid explosives weren't invented yesterday and so far there hasn't been a problem. It's an extreme reaction to a situation that, while scary, did not actually lead to any deaths or injuries.

Inconvenience and death aren't the only two choices. And even if they were, who the **** are these ****ing terrorists to force us to make a choice?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey82
    I think the thing that bothers people is that we have been doing this all our lives and suddenly now we are afraid of it, because they think they found someone who was going to blow up a plane with a bomb inside of a liquid. Like I said before....what's going on right now is exactly what the terrorists want. We are letting them win. Each little tiny freedom...my freedom to bring a bottle of gatorade on the plane to drink because I get thirsty and like Valerie said...they supply you with a little tiny cup of soda and a ton of ice. It doesn't do the trick. My freedom to bring a ipod, discman, walkman, cell phone, laptop or any other device that will soon get banned (just watch!). We have had these freedoms all our life and now because we get a little threat, nothing actually happens and we don't know if it ever would have....we lose them? How is that fair?
    WOW!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    All I'm saying is that the actual risk should be established before things are banned as a knee-jerk reaction. Again, terrorism and liquid explosives weren't invented yesterday and so far there hasn't been a problem. It's an extreme reaction to a situation that, while scary, did not actually lead to any deaths or injuries.
    I think that flying planes into the WTC firmly established the risk of inadequate security measures.

You will never eliminate risk entirely. Hell, the plane could drop out of the sky due to mechanical failure. But you know what? The same people that are complaining about extreme reactions, inconvenience, and flying "rights" would be the first ones to scream and yell when something did happen if the government didn't do anything to try to prevent it. I'd rather that they err on the side of caution than appease people who disagree solely for the sake of disagreeing.

Your mind is made up, and that's fine. Next time you fly, you ***** and complain when your toothpaste and Gatorade is confiscated by TSA. While you're getting examined from the inside out, the rest of us will be strolling through security.

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

21 of 21 airport penetration tests failed to detect bomb making components smuggled by undercover officers onto planes in recent tests

a very bushian like failure rate

http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?...6&f=00&fg=copy

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead
    21 of 21 airport penetration tests failed to detect bomb making components smuggled by undercover officers onto planes in recent tests

a very bushian like failure rate

http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?...6&f=00&fg=copy
    What do you do to fix it?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

All the more reason to ban carry-on luggage.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think that flying planes into the WTC firmly established the risk of inadequate security measures.

You will never eliminate risk entirely. Hell, the plane could drop out of the sky due to mechanical failure. But you know what? The same people that are complaining about extreme reactions, inconvenience, and flying "rights" would be the first ones to scream and yell when something did happen if the government didn't do anything to try to prevent it. I'd rather that they err on the side of caution than appease people who disagree solely for the sake of disagreeing.
    No, we would be screaming that the government was too busy banning Gatorade to to take care of whatever the REAL cause of the problem was.

Yes, security was inadequate before Sept 11, but last time I checked, toothpaste and Gatorade had nothing to do with 9/11.

And you're forgetting a VERY important factor. Terrorism works on the element of surprise, and after the first time, it's not a surprise. Proof of this is the plane that went down over PA. On the first 3 flights, no one on the plane fought the terrorists because no one ever dreamed that it was a suicide mission. Once word got out, the passengers fought back and brought the flight down. Within an hour after the first hijacking with boxcutters, boxcutters were no longer a serious threat because 4 terrorists armed with boxcutters are no match for 200 other passengers who are now willing to fight back. Of course, TSA banned them anyway.....

The risk prevention measure needs to be appriopriate to the threat and in this case it isn't.

Regardless of how small and insignificant the change is- regardless if it's only a "convenience" issue- the terrorists are changing how we do things and we shouldn't stand for it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by billsfanone
    What do you do to fix it?
    better training and detection equipment.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

All the more reason to ban carry-on luggage.
    and while you're at it, ban firearms, cigarettes, automobiles, power tools, alcohol and anything else that has put someone at risk. Ever.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No, we would be screaming that the government was too busy banning Gatorade to to take care of whatever the REAL cause of the problem was.
    Wha? Liquid explosives disguised as a sports drink. How much more REAL does it get than that?
    Yes, security was inadequate before Sept 11, but last time I checked, toothpaste and Gatorade had nothing to do with 9/11.
    But it did have to do with the recent threat, hence the ban.
    And you're forgetting a VERY important factor. Terrorism works on the element of surprise, and after the first time, it's not a surprise. Proof of this is the plane that went down over PA. On the first 3 flights, no one on the plane fought the terrorists because no one ever dreamed that it was a suicide mission. Once word got out, the passengers fought back and brought the flight down. Within an hour after the first hijacking with boxcutters, boxcutters were no longer a serious threat because 4 terrorists armed with boxcutters are no match for 200 other passengers who are now willing to fight back. Of course, TSA banned them anyway.....
    Yes, they eliminated the risk.
    The risk prevention measure needs to be appriopriate to the threat and in this case it isn't.
    liquid explosives = threat. Banning liquids in carryon luggage seems to be the appropriate way to prevent someone from carrying on a liquid explosive.
    Regardless of how small and insignificant the change is- regardless if it's only a "convenience" issue- the terrorists are changing how we do things and we shouldn't stand for it.
    I agree with the principle of what you're saying, but in this case it's just not practical.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have the solution...actually, it's Kasey Kasem that has the solution:

Keep your feet on the ground...and keep reachin' for the stars!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

liquid explosives = threat. Banning liquids in carryon luggage seems to be the appropriate way to prevent someone from carrying on a liquid explosive.
    this is incredibly short-sighted. What are the chances that someone will blow up your plane with liquid explosives versus, say, getting in an accident and dying on your way home from work? But no one is clamoring to ban cars.

There are plenty of things in society that pose much higher risks than liquids on airplanes, but they aren't banned.

In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Nobody thought sneakers were a threat either until a terrorist tried to light the fuse on his Reebocks over the Atlantic in 2001.

Now everyone removes their shoes.

How about trying to stop stuff before it happens then trying to play catch up all the time?

OP- just drive everywhere. Enough whining.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

this is incredibly short-sighted. What are the chances that someone will blow up your plane with liquid explosives versus, say, getting in an accident and dying on your way home from work? But no one is clamoring to ban cars.

There are plenty of things in society that pose much higher risks than liquids on airplanes, but they aren't banned.
    The two aren't related.

Are you really that pissed off about this, or do you just like to make circular, illogical arguments? Either way, it's not going to change. Check your lip gloss in your bag and get on with life.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And lets all chip in ans buy Val a bottle of Nexus for Christmas!