Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 328

Thread: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

  1. #21
    Registered User BAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Hyrule
    Posts
    33,135
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 32 Times in 17 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    118

    Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

    We did a little test to see if we could get through security with lighters in our bags on our recent flights. We were able to get back with 4 of them. They found one on our flight home and that's it. Security at BWI was a joke.


  2. #22
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    85,640
    Thanks
    9,075
    Thanked 16,967 Times in 8,351 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    241

    Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticWildMan
    No, I'm saying that you would freak if you saw what the Israelis do for airline security.

    You can bitch and moan about our security measures all you want but they are in place to keep us as safe as possible. I'll gladly pack my toothpaste in my checked baggage if it means we deny the crazies in the world a means to blow us up.

    See, you're making the false assumption that these security measures actually keep us safer. Some of them do- some of them are just ridiculous.

    You show me one piece of evidence that proves having our shoes X-rayed has prevented even ONE terrorist attack and I will never complain about having to remove my shoes in an airport again. Until then, it's a knee-jerk reaction to something one guy tried once and wasn't even successful.

  3. #23
    ArcticWildMan
    Guest

    Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

    Hey Op, maybe you should take out a full page add in the NY Times or other national paper pleading to the terrorists to stop trying to develop new ways to blow us up because people can't carry toothpaste with them anymore. I'm sure they'll respect your wishes so they don't inconvenience you.

  4. #24
    Registered User L.A. Playa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    19,295
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    91

    Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    I disagree. I think it will take LONGER to get through security because if they see something that looks like lotion, toothpaste or shampoo in a carry-on, they'll have to inspect it by hand.
    im talking about getting on and off a plane, all this is good for the economy. They will need to hire more TSA to enforce the new laws and more people will say screw it and buy travel size shampoo, toothpaste etc when tehy arrive at their destination, only problem is if you get stuck overnight somewhere you will have more smelly people on the plane

  5. #25
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    85,640
    Thanks
    9,075
    Thanked 16,967 Times in 8,351 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    241

    Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

    Quote Originally Posted by BAM
    We did a little test to see if we could get through security with lighters in our bags on our recent flights. We were able to get back with 4 of them. They found one on our flight home and that's it. Security at BWI was a joke.
    my point exactly- it's a big hassle without making us safer. Either make us safer, or don't hassle us- but don't inconvenience everyone unless there's some benefit.

  6. #26
    ArcticWildMan
    Guest

    Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    See, you're making the false assumption that these security measures actually keep us safer. Some of them do- some of them are just ridiculous.

    You show me one piece of evidence that proves having our shoes X-rayed has prevented even ONE terrorist attack and I will never complain about having to remove my shoes in an airport again. Until then, it's a knee-jerk reaction to something one guy tried once and wasn't even successful.
    The fact that there haven't been any other attempts via a shoe bomb proves that it works don't you think?

  7. #27
    Saving the World One Signature at a Time! Valerie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Somewhere on a Beach sipping something strong
    Posts
    22,475
    Thanks
    511
    Thanked 338 Times in 229 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    112

    Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

    I have to say, I hate taking my shoes off too. I usually don't wear socks so I'm barefoot. When I went to NY a few weeks ago, there was a man in front of me with his shoes off. His feet were sweating so badly, he left footprints. I was disgusted to have to walk behind in on his wet, gross footprints. It's unsanitary!


    There's not a stone in my heart I've left unturned
    Not a piece of my soul that I ain't searched
    The only answer I found for all this hurt
    Is there ain't not answer here on earth


  8. #28
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    85,640
    Thanks
    9,075
    Thanked 16,967 Times in 8,351 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    241

    Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticWildMan
    Hey Op, maybe you should take out a full page add in the NY Times or other national paper pleading to the terrorists to stop trying to develop new ways to blow us up because people can't carry toothpaste with them anymore. I'm sure they'll respect your wishes so they don't inconvenience you.
    maybe we should find out if terrorists are actually trying to put explosives in toothpast tubes or if it's even possible to put enough explosives in a toothpaste tube to damage an airliner or maybe we should find other ways to detect explosives besides all-out banning things.

    And if toothpaste tubes are so dangerous why are they allowed on airplanes even in carry-on luggage? Ever heard of remote detonation?

    or better yet- maybe we should treat the root causes of terrorism instead of the symptoms.

  9. #29
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    85,640
    Thanks
    9,075
    Thanked 16,967 Times in 8,351 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    241

    Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticWildMan
    The fact that there haven't been any other attempts via a shoe bomb proves that it works don't you think?
    or maybe it proves that the shoe bomb idea wasn't a very good one in the first place so the terrorists abandoned it.

    The Simpsons explains it best:


    Homer: Well, there's not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol is sure doing its job.
    Lisa: That's specious reasoning, Dad.
    Homer: Thank you, sweetie.
    Lisa: Dad, what if I were to tell you that this rock keeps away tigers.
    Homer: Uh-huh, and how does it work?
    Lisa: It doesn't work. It's just a stupid rock.
    Homer: I see.
    Lisa: But you don't see any tigers around, do you?
    Homer: Lisa, I'd like to buy your rock.

  10. #30
    Registered User L.A. Playa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    19,295
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    91

    Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

    I figure a good Terror scare is deflecting the American attention from some other issue

  11. #31
    ArcticWildMan
    Guest

    Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    maybe we should find out if terrorists are actually trying to put explosives in toothpast tubes or if it's even possible to put enough explosives in a toothpaste tube to damage an airliner or maybe we should find other ways to detect explosives besides all-out banning things.

    And if toothpaste tubes are so dangerous why are they allowed on airplanes even in carry-on luggage? Ever heard of remote detonation?

    or better yet- maybe we should treat the root causes of terrorism instead of the symptoms.
    As an FAA employee I'll clue you in on something.....ALL checked baggage is screened for explosives. Explosives leave a residue that these machines can pick up. Your carry on isn't screened, thus the reason for this latest attempt.

    An actual threat and the means to impliment it has been identified and you bitch because you can't carry your precious tube of toothpaste on board. Talk about a selfish attitude. OP doesn't like it so it's a stupid idea. Ride a freaking train if it bothers you that much.

  12. #32
    Saving the World One Signature at a Time! Valerie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Somewhere on a Beach sipping something strong
    Posts
    22,475
    Thanks
    511
    Thanked 338 Times in 229 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    112

    Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

    If that's the case, AWM, why can't they screen the carry-on bags the same way they do for checked bags? They're already running them through an x-ray machine.

  13. #33
    Registered User L.A. Playa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    19,295
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    91

    Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

    it would take too long and inconvience people like OP

  14. #34
    ArcticWildMan
    Guest

    Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

    Because that machine is somewhere in the bowels of the airport (nowhere near the customer check-in) and it would add HOURS to check-in if every single person had to surrender their carry on bags to have the machine sniff it.

  15. #35
    Saving the World One Signature at a Time! Valerie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Somewhere on a Beach sipping something strong
    Posts
    22,475
    Thanks
    511
    Thanked 338 Times in 229 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    112

    Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

    Which kinda is my point. Airports are notorious for losing luggage and since I am a travler who rarely checks my bags, it not only annoys me that I have to but it scares me that when I get off the plane at my destination I won't have any of my stuff.

    And, we're not just talking about toothpaste. I have a make-up bag, already packed with full size shampoo, conditioner, gel, toothpaste, deoderant, etc. That's a lot of stuff that now has to be checked. And now I have to waste time dealing with baggage claim.

  16. #36
    Give me a minute... Ebenezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    King of Sunset Town
    Posts
    73,868
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 21 Times in 4 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    258

    Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie
    That's my point, LA, you can't carry much of anything on the plane anymore. If I'm going away for a weekend trip and I only have one bag, I would prefer not to hassle with baggage claim. By checking bags, you're adding a lot of unneeded extra time and inconvenience, IMHO.

    And, like I said, who's to say something won't be carried through in baby food? If you're going to ban my water, the baby's water should be banned too. I fully understand the need for safety precautions, but this is getting out of hand.
    so frikkin' what?? boo frikkin hoo....you can't carry your toiletries on a plane...it is a plane ride for crying out loud...read a book, a newspaper or take a nap...why do people think that the inside of the plane is equivalent to their bedroom?? almost all plane flights (save the ones AWM take) are less than three hours...can't American's make it without putting on make up, sucking down a Starbucks or yacking on the phone for three frikkin' hours? Pathetic.




    For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

  17. #37
    Give me a minute... Ebenezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    King of Sunset Town
    Posts
    73,868
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 21 Times in 4 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    258

    Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie
    Which kinda is my point. Airports are notorious for losing luggage and since I am a travler who rarely checks my bags, it not only annoys me that I have to but it scares me that when I get off the plane at my destination I won't have any of my stuff.

    And, we're not just talking about toothpaste. I have a make-up bag, already packed with full size shampoo, conditioner, gel, toothpaste, deoderant, etc. That's a lot of stuff that now has to be checked. And now I have to waste time dealing with baggage claim.
    notorious?? I have probably flown over 250 times in my life...cannot get to any where from Buffalo without a connection...probably made it through 700 take offs and landings in my life...never lost one bag of luggage...even when our bag was "lost" in Kiev, Ukraine it was eventually found (in less than 24 hours) and made it's way to where we were staying in Donetsk.

  18. #38
    ArcticWildMan
    Guest

    Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

    It sucks but unfortunately we live in a world where people think it's their religious duty to try and kill us. Until we evolve into the kind of world that Star Trek portrayed (world peace), this is just the way things are going to be.

  19. #39
    Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    specifically located in the Milky Way
    Posts
    23,932
    Thanks
    2,653
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,228 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    80

    Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

    i flew in July and American Airlines lost my luggage, they had it at my door step 7 hours later. It wasn't a big deal, and I went to the store and bought myself some cool clothes just in case it didn't arrive in time.

    if that's not the glass half full I don't know what is.

    Imbondz Imbondz
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.


  20. #40
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    85,640
    Thanks
    9,075
    Thanked 16,967 Times in 8,351 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    241

    Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticWildMan
    As an FAA employee I'll clue you in on something.....ALL checked baggage is screened for explosives. Explosives leave a residue that these machines can pick up. Your carry on isn't screened, thus the reason for this latest attempt.

    An actual threat and the means to impliment it has been identified and you bitch because you can't carry your precious tube of toothpaste on board. Talk about a selfish attitude. OP doesn't like it so it's a stupid idea. Ride a freaking train if it bothers you that much.
    well why does the machine have to be in the "bowels" of the airport? Why can't they build the equipment into the x-ray machines?

    We're so afraid of these guys that we're banning TOOTHPASTE and that doesn't bother you? We're a deodorant ban away from being France.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •