Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

Thanks
    Thanked 26,214 Times in 13,680 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. Playa
    flying is a luxury anyway, if you dont want to waste the time in the airport drive, take a train or bus
    my ass.

My wife's family lives in Puerto Rico. Do you know a way to drive or take the plane there?

ArcticWildMan

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    well, being that I'm not an FAA employee, I have never seen one of these sniffer machines and you conveniently left out the size portion of it.

But why can't they reduce the size? Almost every electronic device has been reduced in size in recent years.

I don't know. I'm not the engineer that designed it for cripes sake. Call your congressman and complain that you can't carry your toothpaste on the plane and demand they make the machines smaller if it really is affecting your life so damn much.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

and how many people can you kill by blowing up an airplane? 300? 400? You can kill way more than that with a fertilizer bomb- should be ban fertilizer and make the farmers go back to 17th century techniques? The safety of the many outweighs the needs of the few farmers who use the stuff legitimately.
    no...millions depend on the food...sorry.

and I believe the number killed on 9/11 went into 4 digits...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Saving the World One Signature at a Time! Valerie's Avatar
    Somewhere on a Beach sipping something strong
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My father has traveled all over the world for over 30 years and until 9/11 has NEVER checked a bag in his life! Since that time he has had his luggage stolen, lost and misplaced. It is an inconvience.

There's not a stone in my heart I've left unturned
    Not a piece of my soul that I ain't searched
    The only answer I found for all this hurt
    Is there ain't not answer here on earth

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie
    WTF is your problem? For your information, I DO read books on planes. I don't drink coffee or talk on the phone. But to be denied water because it's "dangerous" is absurd! And, it has nothing to do with making a plane my bedroom, it has to do with CONVENIENCE! I don't check my bags. I rarely do. I find it a HUGE hassle to deal with baggage claim. I've waited over 45 minutes for my bags during one flight. And for a less than 3 hour flight, that's an absurd waste of my time. People fly because it's supposed to be FAST AND EASY! Not to mention, I've seen the way bags are treated by the handlers. They are thrown and I've seen several EACH TIME I FLY fall off the conveyer belt onto the ground. I'm sorry if I would prefer to have MY items in MY control while I'm traveling.
    just remember...all this is controlled by the FAA...just think if airports and flights were controlled by private companies...you wouldn't be able to do squat because they would clamp down on everything faster than you could blink to prevent getting sued for even more money than they are allowed to be sued for now.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My father has traveled all over the world for over 30 years and until 9/11 has NEVER checked a bag in his life! Since that time he has had his luggage stolen, lost and misplaced. It is an inconvience.
    val, 30 years ago people barely brought anything onto planes...have you seen the size of some of those bags these days?? nobody checks the sizes or the contents...there are some of them that you could smuggle half a drug store into...it is a little out of hand because somebody might lose their toothpaste or be inconvienced for 30 minutes...get over it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticWildMan
    Funny how so many people ***** about having their civil liberties infringed on by the gov't when we use secret wiretaps and other measures to try and catch terrorists but they are the ones who ***** the loudest and demand we find a way to stop the terrorists when they can't carry a tube of toothpaste on an airplane. Un-freaking-real!
    un-freaking-real how otherwise rational people support knee-jerk reactions by the government that ban all of society from taking certain actions simply because a small group of people made one unsuccessful attempt to do something illicit once. The government has yet to even establish a credible tootpaste threat but theyv'e already banned it.

We have freedoms and rights in this society- the right to not be spied on by the government without probable cause and judicial oversight for one- and we shouldn't let the terrorists take that away.

Why don't we treat the CAUSES of terrorism instead of the SYMPTOMS- poverty, fundamentalism, oppression and alienation? Oh, wait- that's long-term and would take cooperation, insight and leadership. Let's just ban toothpaste instead.

ArcticWildMan

and how many people can you kill by blowing up an airplane? 300? 400? You can kill way more than that with a fertilizer bomb- should be ban fertilizer and make the farmers go back to 17th century techniques? The safety of the many outweighs the needs of the few farmers who use the stuff legitimately.

Companies that sell large amounts of fertilizer verify that they are selling it to farmers and/or companies that have a legit reson to purchase it. The gov't has asked them to do this. How do you think those guys were busted a few months ago? They were suspicious and reported by the company that sold them the fertilizer.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

We don't even have the luxury of locking our bags when we do send them off to be checked. Nothing is private anymore. I had one of my checked bags opened and gone through during one of my trips. Crap was unfolded and just thrown back into my bag without any care or concern. I would prefer to keep other people out of my personal items. ****ING SUE ME!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezer
    no...millions depend on the food...sorry.

and I believe the number killed on 9/11 went into 4 digits...
    funny. I don't remember hearing that toothpaste caused 9/11.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

my ass.

My wife's family lives in Puerto Rico. Do you know a way to drive or take the plane there?
    then its a luxury for her to live in the USA you can take a boat then

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

We don't even have the luxury of locking our bags when we do send them off to be checked. Nothing is private anymore. I had one of my checked bags opened and gone through during one of my trips. Crap was unfolded and just thrown back into my bag without any care or concern. I would prefer to keep other people out of my personal items. ****ING SUE ME!
    dont fly then, you lost that courtesy of people not going into your bags years ago. *****ing aint gonna change it

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

funny. I don't remember hearing that toothpaste caused 9/11.
    I guess we were absent the day that revelation came out.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

then its a luxury for her to live in the USA you can take a boat then
    it's a luxury for an American to live in the USA?

I don't know if there is a boat, and if it is it lives in Florida, which means it would take 2-3 days of driving and another 1-2 days on a boat to get there. Being that we have JOBS, we don't have that much time to spend getting back and forth.

So, for us, flying is only a luxury if you consider being able to see your family a luxury.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

pfft...if I owned the airlines, the airport and it was a private company and I was responsible for all those lives you have no clue the precautions I would be taking or the rules that I would enforce in order for you to travel.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't know if there is a boat, and if it is it lives in Florida, which means it would take 2-3 days of driving and another 1-2 days on a boat to get there. Being that we have JOBS, we don't have that much time to spend getting back and forth.

So, for us, flying is only a luxury if you consider being able to see your family a luxury.
    flying, like driving, is a priviledge...not a right.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

dont fly then, you lost that courtesy of people not going into your bags years ago. *****ing aint gonna change it
    I don't ***** about it, LA. I just choose after that day to never check bags again. And I haven't. But now because of the latest parinoia apparently I am not allowed to carry my bags onto a plane because my $8 conditioner may blow up the plane. Or the water I'm drinking might blow up the plane.

ArcticWildMan

un-freaking-real how otherwise rational people support knee-jerk reactions by the government that ban all of society from taking certain actions simply because a small group of people made one unsuccessful attempt to do something illicit once. The government has yet to even establish a credible tootpaste threat but theyv'e already banned it.

We have freedoms and rights in this society- the right to not be spied on by the government without probable cause and judicial oversight for one- and we shouldn't let the terrorists take that away.

Why don't we treat the CAUSES of terrorism instead of the SYMPTOMS- poverty, fundamentalism, oppression and alienation? Oh, wait- that's long-term and would take cooperation, insight and leadership. Let's just ban toothpaste instead.

Sorry Op, but I think you are incredibly selfish. You're willing to risk the lives of untold people because you think you have a constitutional right to carry toothpaste on board an airplane, bonafide threats be damned.

Like you said in your other post....the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Brush your teeth before you get to the airport.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

she is a citizen because she chose to come here for school and for some reason she married you which made her a citizen Im not up on how Puerto Rico fits in as far as being an American citizen, but in this country living where you want, working where you want and even going to school is a luxury that our freedom provides for us

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezer
    flying, like driving, is a priviledge...not a right.
    then I guess seeing family is a priviledge according to you.